• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
You hear a meaningful song again and are involuntarily transported to the time and mood/emotional state where the song was first imprinted with meaning. ('K maybe not exclusively INFJ, but does this happen to any of you too?)

A certain smell will sometimes send me back in time as well.

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is weird and I'm not sure if this is an INFJ thing: If I have something really important to do I focus on it intently but if I'm interupted, it takes a lot of effort to get back that same level of focus, sometimes I have to take a moment and ask myself where was I, this is when I'm likely to make mistakes. However, if I have 10 tasks to complete, and they aren't that important, I bounce around from one to the other simultaneously until they all get done, and it seems to always work out fine. Sometimes I wonder if I have ADD or is it my INFJ multi thought brain doing its usual thing?

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
OK, Lillyofthevalley is hogging this topic, but maybe I can keep it rolling.

You know you're an INFJ when:

Every now and then someone says to you, "I can't believe you just said that." (I once had someone tell me "If I had known you were really like that, I would have invited you over much sooner."

You're emotions are usually on lock down in public.

It's rare, but if someone or something pisses you off enough, you can turn into a snarling monster. You are not out of control, just letting the pressure blow, meanwhile they are hiding the knives...lol.

Someone close to you says "See, I know you like the back of my hand", and you want to give them the two fingered eyeball poke because you know they don't have a clue who the real you is.

You show up for work early 99.99% of the time, when no one else does, but the one time you are 5 minutes late your boss thinks he needs to reprimand you. This causes you to fume for 2 hours. You know if you were the boss you would take prior history into consideration before remarking, at the same time you realize that not only can't this guy see outside of his little box, he would run back into his little box if he did. INFJ's have a bigger box, anything ouside of it is reason to contemplate and observe....and so our box expands.

You wonder about people who are 'different' while others cross them off without a thought.

You are more likely to slip a $5 into a homeless woman's pocket when she isn't looking but others make sure the woman knows they're donating.

You don't eat hot dogs for 3 years, then you eat them for 3 months straight. You are willing to try odd foods.

You take pride in your achievements and want to be acknowledged just like everyone else does. However, if they want to put together an event for this reason, you don't want to go.

Compliments on your creativity are nice but no big deal, in fact, too much praise makes you uncomfortable. Deep down, you know what you are getting complimented on is just a drop from the bucket nobody knows about. But once people know you're particularly good at something, they start asking you to volunteer your efforts. You balk at this because you're creativity is yours and only yours, to give only on your own terms, when you want to do it.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
When you give your friends and SO abstract relational goals for their birthday every year ("I vow to give you the benefit of the doubt this year"), and actually follow through with said goal, even after they look at you like you have three heads. :bananallama:

S

Sniffles

This is weird and I'm not sure if this is an INFJ thing: If I have something really important to do I focus on it intently but if I'm interupted, it takes a lot of effort to get back that same level of focus, sometimes I have to take a moment and ask myself where was I, this is when I'm likely to make mistakes. However, if I have 10 tasks to complete, and they aren't that important, I bounce around from one to the other simultaneously until they all get done, and it seems to always work out fine. Sometimes I wonder if I have ADD or is it my INFJ multi thought brain doing its usual thing?

You're not alone, I'm very much like this. I absolutely hate interruptions, but if they're very infrequent and don't take up too much of my time - I'm better able to get back to my task at hand.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I do that with housework or with routine paperwork to fill at work, something rather "mindless", though I always thought that was more a characteristic of the way the female brain is wired vs. the male. There have been some interesting studies (brain mappings) done about male vs. female traits and theoretically how they develped due to evolution. I don't know but it is fascinating to consider. But yes, I definitely do that.:yes:

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I do the flitting from project to project thing, too. Usually, it ends up being fairly productive!

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know you're an INFJ when:

Every now and then someone says to you, "I can't believe you just said that." (I once had someone tell me "If I had known you were really like that, I would have invited you over much sooner."

Someone close to you says "See, I know you like the back of my hand", and you want to give them the two fingered eyeball poke because you know they don't have a clue who the real you is.

I have to laugh when I see this because it is so TRUE!! I have surprised co-workers, family, friends with what comes out of my mouth, or what I have done, because I appear to be so "demure" for lack of a better word. Looking back I even surprise myself at some of the things I have done.:devil:

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A certain smell will sometimes send me back in time as well.

Yes, definitely yes. Just thinking about this makes me think of the lilac bush in my grandmother's yard when I was a child. Do other types have these olfactory memories as well?

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Yes, definitely yes. Just thinking about this makes me think of the lilac bush in my grandmother's yard when I was a child. Do other types have these olfactory memories as well?

I barely even have a sense of smell. There are so many times where I'm the only person in the room who cant smell whatever they're smelling. Even then I don't have many memories to go back to. My childhood was basically having no developed function anyway. Ni seems to be a function that relies on what's in it. Since I was young I didn't have much in it to turn to. I don't have any cherished memories. I can live with that.

With projects, I usually walk a bit to clear my head and listen to loud music through my headphones to block distractions. Distractions ruin my train of thought but help me refresh a little so going back is fine. As for hopping around a lot of minor projects, I think it is more of a slow switch when one project loses momentum in my mind. Other wise it's on project at a time.

P

Phantonym

Yes, definitely yes. Just thinking about this makes me think of the lilac bush in my grandmother's yard when I was a child.

That's exactly it! Different scents bring back memories but it's even thinking about them that can make the memories surface. I get that all the time :laugh:

lillyofthevalley

MBTI Type
INFJ
Even then I don't have many My childhood was basically having no developed function anyway. Ni seems to be a function that relies on what's in it. Since I was young I didn't have much in it to turn to. I don't have any cherished memories. I can live with that.
QUOTE]

Interesting you should say that. I wonder what's 'normal' for childhood memories. I have bits of memory of my childhood, but most of it is a mystery, holes in time. From my teens on, my memory is good. Could it be that we daydreamed our youth away, or like you say, underdeveloped Ni? Curious..hmmmm.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Interesting you should say that. I wonder what's 'normal' for childhood memories. I have bits of memory of my childhood, but most of it is a mystery, holes in time. From my teens on, my memory is good. Could it be that we daydreamed our youth away, or like you say, underdeveloped Ni? Curious..hmmmm.

Well, Ni seems to be a complex function and could be something that relies on a more developed brain. since a child's brain is just a bunch of unfilled neurons that absorb everything and not much structure to it, it could be a combination of not-so developed brain and the need to understand different perceptions of things/people. Introverted functions need something to ponder over before they actually 'work.' At least, work with some focus, like a flashlight versus a street lamp.

Hmmm, maybe Ni is a less biased version of viewing different perceptions. Fe might relate much stronger to perceptions that relate to the human element, so then, a person who doesn't let Fe get [too much] in the way of Ni could be considered smarter, in the general sense, than those who use Fe more. I think I just explained one of the things I was always pondering on: "Why do strong Fe INFJs seem less 'deep' than weaker Fe INFJs?"

It's nothing bad, they just seem to have a stronger sensitivity toward the human element. Making them better at understanding people. The perceived depth of other INfJs might just be the less focus.

Though I wish I could intuitively understand people more effectively (*Is jealous of a lot of the INFJs here for that*), I can live without it. If I find some 'normally developed' INFJ to be an SO with, I can keep them grounded while still relating well in mind-structure.

Granted all of this is at 0500 without sleep. I guess this thread is something of a blog for me. Oh well, INFJs, IME, like to ramble about their hobbies.

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?
Introverted functions need something to ponder over before they actually 'work'...with some focus, like a flashlight versus a street lamp.

Fe might relate much stronger to perceptions that relate to the human element, so then, a person who doesn't let Fe get [too much] in the way of Ni could be considered smarter, in the general sense, than those who use Fe more. I think I just explained one of the things I was always pondering on: "Why do strong Fe INFJs seem less 'deep' than weaker Fe INFJs?"

It's nothing bad, they just seem to have a stronger sensitivity toward the human element. Making them better at understanding people. The perceived depth of other INfJs might just be the less focus.

Granted all of this is at 0500 without sleep. I guess this thread is something of a blog for me. Oh well, INFJs, IME, like to ramble about their hobbies.

agreed

agreed

agreed

agreed

good 5am job

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?
you've already mortar and pestalled your ego to oblivion and back a few times over

and maybe saved some powder, the essence of which you can use to create new 'people' and you feel like you can probably live vicariously through any kind of being you wish.

so you dig out the vial of ego and (just a pinch, need to save some of course) toss some in the brew and see what it's like to walk anywhere between 3m and a lightyear in anyone else's skin. Everyone else's skin for that matter.

and lingering behind every belief and virtue you call your 'own' you're wondering what that all means......

not if it means anything, because it surely does. but... what? does anything mean?

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?
you know how much of an idealist you really are.

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?
when you know yourself pretty well, but you still want to be like ALL the other infjs here