• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
I've been told I'm too straight or blunt about this, but it's just so that my Fe absolutely loathes those big elephants taking all the space. So I point them out thinking I could clean up the space. Sorta like a devil's advocate.
But I thik I'm too absent minded about other stuff to notice and make a remark about 'em.

And the above answer crosses over to this a bit, if the elephant is of emotional quality.
I've felt a bit stupid of never bothering to learn to understand people since I could always gravitate with 'whatever-emotion-is-in-the-air-at-the-moment- and-where-it-came-from' -sense and not get in trouble and be liked to a limit. I'm learning to understand now though. :blush:
We're empaths, I suppose.
If you don't mind.. This brings my ISTJ mom to mind. She's the opposite, great at telling people's underlaying motivations and responses and what they'll most likely do next (according to previous actions; that Si is... somewhat scary), but she seems to be oblivious to emotions and emotional responses until they smack her in the face.

I don't know about the rest of you but I've had an NFP complaining that she can't understand me at all at times.

*stops hijacking thread*

Yes.

I think I'm right there with ya, painting of the elephant included. It's actually kind of cool to see the look of, "exactly!" on people's faces... I never tire of that...

Originally posted by felt up, altered by me, and everyone before me

-the world stops when the favorite part of your song comes on...a song that your itunes play-counter claims you've listened to 3957 times
Yep, can't count the number of times I've held my hands up and said, "Wait, this is the good part"

-you see connections between radically different things
Yep

-your wardrobe is all black, but your shoes are colorful
check, hadn't noticed that before...

-you are one of three people at a Swedish film festival
No

-you wonder if you will ever see the one you are infatuated with again
almost always

-you live in a neighborhood with art, trees, books, and music
Yep, lake & river, too.

-you understand the nature of people but don't know how to be with them
Yep

-you know what's around the corner before everyone else does
Yep

-you feel most people are transparent and OBVIOUS and their lack of subtlety can be grating
yes argh

-you are attuned to absurdity in the most mundane thing, and may burst out laughing uncontrollably at the absolute wrong moment. No one else gets the joke
Yep, I am especially prone to this at work for some reason.

-you feel like when you make a connection with someone, it's for life. Long after they've disappeared, they regularly show up in your daydreams
Yep

-you can't inhabit an environment that is unaesthetically pleasing for too long
I have only recently started to notice, actually, but that might have to do with upbringing

-you know what you want but you never seem to be able to get it
Depends. Some things, I get easily. Other things, not so much. Sometimes, I have no clue.

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
-You have imaginary conversations going on in your head for hours on end.

-You compulsively eavesdrop on others' conversations.

-You are an Atheist yet still consider yourself "spiritual".

-You psychoanalyze your therapist.

-You are the person everyone wants to talk to if they have things troubling them.

Yes on all of these, although rather than an Atheist I suppose I'd consider myself Agnostic due to my interest in the spiritual.

Uh... yeah. I am a terrible eavesdropper though. :whistling: I thought that was just me. I also found myself analysing my therapist, yep, and I am indeed the person that everyone wants to talk to when there is something bothering them... often to the point where I exhaust myself trying to be there for them all at once. It's not actually very healthy, but hey. I try to moderate it, but if someone needs my help I find it incredibly hard to refuse them.

Actually, that leads me onto another one if it hasn't already been covered...
You know you're an INFJ when you find it difficult to confide in others because 'the shoulder cries harder'? Is that true for anyone else here?

Um... and I'm not sure if this one has already been covered or not either buuut...
You know you're an INFJ when you're frequently invisible or a 'mirror' to the world, but when you're close enough to someone that you finally emerge from your shell, you tend to leave them both bewildered and entertained by all the stuff you come out with.

Last edited:

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
You know you're an INFJ when you're frequently invisible or a 'mirror' to the world, but when you're close enough to someone that you finally emerge from your shell, you tend to leave them both bewildered and entertained by all the stuff you come out with.

Yea. I don't know about how I leave them though, entertained is not the verb I'd use though :blush:

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Yea. I don't know about how I leave them though, entertained is not the verb I'd use though :blush:

I'm curious...
*shines the interrogation light in your face*
How would you describe it? Have you had negative reactions, plain confusion... or something else...? :huh:

I've had negative reactions from people when I've been so desperate to connect with someone that I've opened up to the wrong individuals. In the end it makes me very picky about the kind of people I'll actually be completely myself around. More often than not I choose not to voice my thoughts because it just isn't worth it, they wouldn't 'get' it, or they just wouldn't care. This even happens within my own family to an extent, they tend to think there's something wrong with me.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
-the world stops when the favorite part of your song comes on...a song that your itunes play-counter claims you've listened to 3957 times
Yes. Sometimes I'll even rewind and listen to the same few-second part over and over.

-you see connections between radically different things
Yeah.

-you live in a neighborhood with art, trees, books, and music
I'd certainly like to. That sounds like perfection.

-you understand the nature of people but don't know how to be with them
Definitely true to an extent.

-you know what's around the corner before everyone else does
Yeah...although at the same time, I can be oblivious to what's going on right in front of me.

-you feel most people are transparent and OBVIOUS and their lack of subtlety can be grating
Totally true at times.

-you are attuned to absurdity in the most mundane thing, and may burst out laughing uncontrollably at the absolute wrong moment. No one else gets the joke
All the time. Or I'll just think back on something and be struck how funny it is all over again and start laughing randomly.

-you feel like when you make a connection with someone, it's for life. Long after they've disappeared, they regularly show up in your daydreams
Definitely. I'm fairly sure that I still think about people long after they've forgotten about me. Feeling a connection makes such an impact on me.

-you can't inhabit an environment that is unaesthetically pleasing for too long
I can and do, but it's definitely not ideal.

-you know what you want but you never seem to be able to get it
Mhmm.

Actually, that leads me onto another one if it hasn't already been covered...
You know you're an INFJ when you find it difficult to confide in others because 'the shoulder cries harder'? Is that true for anyone else here?

Could you explain what you mean by this? I think I get it, and I do have trouble confiding in people, but it's usually an issue of trust and not wanting to emotionally burden others.

Obstinate

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
One
.....you feel like you're never a participant, but always an observer.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Sade said:
About the love of intensive music.. Anyone else love Disturbed? Some of the lyrics just strike me somehow, besides the music itself.

Not Disturbed, they don't have enough emphasis on instrumentation. I'm more of a Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, and Dark Moor fan (All powermetal, or 'White Metal' in my head).

I can't stand anything depressing, I call it 'Gray metal.'
'Red Metal' like Turmion Kätilöt is exciting because it just pumps me up without lasting depression like, say, System of a Down or 'emo screamo' bands.
'Blue Metal', like Rammstein, is also good at times because it's strangely poetic.
'Purple Metal' like Lacuna Coil and Nightwish.
'Golden Metal' is kind of like powermetal, but more proggy. Stuff like Ayreon, Stream of Passion, and Edenbridge.

*Is a bit of a nerd when it comes to heavy music* :blush:

.....you feel like you're never a participant, but always an observer.

I wish I could -just- observe most of the time! I don't like having people drag me into a thing called 'work.' *Grumble*

Obstinate

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
One
You focus on the big picture way too much.

....you can't complete a good joke because you want to say the beginning, the middle, and the punch-line all at the same time!

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You focus on the big picture way too much.

....you can't complete a good joke because you want to say the beginning, the middle, and the punch-line all at the same time!

Hence the beauty of one-liners. :)

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
you feel like a spy
the stranger everyone knows so well
you have to check your persona at the door, just to make sure its still you

haha yes! I can relate.

when you go to your friends party of about 6 people that are regulars and at some point during the night, they all come up and ask you for advice on relationship experiences. Not sure if anyone else gets the "go-to-get-advice person" treatment :p :hug:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha yes! I can relate.

when you go to your friends party of about 6 people that are regulars and at some point during the night, they all come up and ask you for advice on relationship experiences. Not sure if anyone else gets the "go-to-get-advice person" treatment :p :hug:

from everyone:doh:

P

Phantonym

haha yes! I can relate.

I've read in this thread that INFJ's are prone to such experiences :D Personally, only strangers approach me either to ask for directions or the elderly ask me to read them the labels in grocery stores.
I've never had this personal connection with people who want to discuss their personal issues. I long for it though, to be honest. I know that some people here would actually prefer not to be bothered but since I've never had this experience (in a way that it would be annoying), it would be an interesting experience.

I keep wondering if it's me or them :D Maybe its the infamous "INFJ dispassionate face" that scares them away? Actually, drunkards on the street have told me that I have an angry face. And I was just doing my own thing in my mind, not judging them :D

World is strange and people are weird and I love it :D

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
Actually, drunkards on the street have told me that I have an angry face.

YES! I get that a heck of a lot!

People seems to read my face as someone who is pissed off or somethan. Usually I laugh it off because 9 times out of 10 I'm enjoying myself.

Ref: picture in the pictures thread. (Think its in the bonfire section.)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
YES! I get that a heck of a lot!

People seems to read my face as someone who is pissed off or somethan. Usually I laugh it off because 9 times out of 10 I'm enjoying myself.

Ref: picture in the pictures thread. (Think its in the bonfire section.)

I'm just called creepy, since I'm the only person in my school who wanders the hall to clear my head. Usually with my iPod on. I also have that face, until I think of something funny, then I can't help but smile a little.

I am also very upfront about my irritation towards people irritating me. I can very much relate to the '... Fe as a lead pipe' statement made earlier in the thread.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm just called creepy, since I'm the only person in my school who wanders the hall to clear my head. Usually with my iPod on. I also have that face, until I think of something funny, then I can't help but smile a little.

I did that in highschool, too! But no one called me creepy about it. I remember a couple of my teachers would run into me in the morning, since that's when I'd have time to do it, and say hello and ask why I was always wandering around. I'd tell them I needed to think and sort my head out, and they seemed to understand and like that I did that. (I loved my teachers in highschool. They were so awesome, especially the english and art teachers I had.--Probably because I was so enthusiastic about learning those two subjects.)

Hell, I still do it, just in the courtyard outside in the middle of the night...which is much smaller than an entire highschool. It makes me feel like an animal in a cage sometimes. :( If Savannah weren't so dangerous in the middle of the night, I'd probably wander around the back alleys and things, thinking.

P

Phantonym

I'm the only person in my school who wanders the hall to clear my head.

I'd tell them I needed to think and sort my head out

How do/did you deal with studying for exams?

The reason I ask is because I tend to walk around in my apartment (I would be too concerned about bothering anybody with it in the library)when studying. And it's always patterned, walking either clockwise, counter-clockwise, straight line etc. It sort of gets me into a rhythmical mood. It seems to help me keep focused.

I wouldn't exactly call it type-related though :D More of a personal preference.

Just wondering how everybody else deals with them.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

um, and burned out????

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

The reason I ask is because I tend to walk around in my apartment (I would be too concerned about bothering anybody with it in the library)when studying. And it's always patterned, walking either clockwise, counter-clockwise, straight line etc. It sort of gets me into a rhythmical mood. It seems to help me keep focused.

I wouldn't exactly call it type-related though :D More of a personal preference.

I usually sat down and read my notes over and then recopied some parts of them. I'm very visual when it comes to test-memory, so I'd try my best to engrave the image of my note page into my head. After I'd have studied, I'd usually pace around for a bit because having lots of information in my head at once tends to get me "excited" in that I get really antsy, so walking around for a bit tends to release some of that excess energy.

It's interesting how integrated the mind and body is.

When I talk to people on the phone, I do what you do. The rhythmic, patterned pacing. If I don't, I immediately lose all focus on what the person is saying.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1

Ive never studied for an exam, not even my ACT (Shameless plug: got a 28 on it, woo). I find that if I didn't know it on the test, I wasn't paying attention in class. I would only study if I knew something in the test was not taught during the class periods, or if I missed a day of class and knew I missed some new subject.

When I talk to people on the phone, I do what you do. The rhythmic, patterned pacing. If I don't, I immediately lose all focus on what the person is saying.

Me too!