• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know you're an INFJ because you're, well, basically omniscient!

Lotr246

You were scolded for yelling "I KNOW!" every time your parents tried to teach you something. >____>

or maybe that was just me

Agreed.

You know you're an INFJ when you preface your insights with a question, knowing full well the answer to your question. It's a way of provoking thought in others.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
You know you're an INFJ when you preface your insights with a question, knowing full well the answer to your question. It's a way of provoking thought in others.

Because it's always more empowering to let others figure things out for themselves. ;) (And sometimes the only way they'll listen..)

You know you're INFJ when you actually CARE enough to worry about how to empower and guide people. :D

jaku

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4,5?
You think you know more than an INTP ?

yes

Because it's always more empowering to let others figure things out for themselves. ;) (And sometimes the only way they'll listen..)

You know you're INFJ when you actually CARE enough to worry about how to empower and guide people. :D

and then you forget to stop communicating ideas in that manner when you get back together with your more nf friends and they're like 'wtf man?' and you go 'oh yeah oops. i forgot we don't always have to talk so out loudly' ...no?

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
and then you forget to stop communicating ideas in that manner when you get back together with your more nf friends and they're like 'wtf man?' and you go 'oh yeah oops. i forgot we don't always have to talk so out loudly' ...no?

I can see that. Though in my case it's more: Your SP wannabe side has surrounded yourself with SP friends so when you try to go back to communicating your natural way since they're people you're comfortable with, they stare at you funny and sometimes laugh.

hopeseed

MBTI Type
INF~
Enneagram
4 w5
Have trouble answering yes or no questions. More on this later, but I'm sure there's no need for explaination.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Have trouble answering yes or no questions. More on this later, but I'm sure there's no need for explaination.

INFJs feel the need to explain things completely with every nuance in order that true understanding will emerge. So they tend to be rather unsatisfied with simple yes / no answers. This can be fun and yet frustrating when the situations call for quick decision making, like where to eat.

sade

You notice that you are an INFJ, when people give you info on their medical records and/or personal details. And you didn't even ask.

eclare

MBTI Type
INFJ
So INFJs have a reputation for not sharing themselves with others except those that they are especially close to. But I often find myself doing something seemingly contradictory and I was wondering if other INFJs do this.

I often have absolutely no problems discussing things that other people would consider very personal, but that I just don't feel particularly protective of. For example, I feel perfectly comfortable talking about my history with depression and use of medication to control it, but this sort of thing makes other people very uncomfortable. Therefore I only discuss it with people that I know can handle it. But for whatever reason, I have no problems with other people knowing this about me. It's not something that I'm ashamed of or feel privately about. It's just a medical condition that I have.

Of course there are lots of other things that I am VERY protective of. Things that other people might consider to be no big deal, but that I absolutely refuse to share.

Thoughts?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
So INFJs have a reputation for not sharing themselves with others except those that they are especially close to. But I often find myself doing something seemingly contradictory and I was wondering if other INFJs do this.

I often have absolutely no problems discussing things that other people would consider very personal, but that I just don't feel particularly protective of. For example, I feel perfectly comfortable talking about my history with depression and use of medication to control it, but this sort of thing makes other people very uncomfortable. Therefore I only discuss it with people that I know can handle it. But for whatever reason, I have no problems with other people knowing this about me. It's not something that I'm ashamed of or feel privately about. It's just a medical condition that I have.

Of course there are lots of other things that I am VERY protective of. Things that other people might consider to be no big deal, but that I absolutely refuse to share.

Thoughts?

INFJs just have a different standard for what they consider private. They can be very open about many things simply because they have been processed and are therefore without danger. They do always seem to keep a core of themselves closed off, however.

sade

What Synarch said: +1.

It's the same for me, really. My privacy settings are considered strange. As I'm willing to share thoughts and ideas, believes, medical stuff even but am tight lipped about people and such.. mundane things. And silent as grave over some stuff.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
What Synarch said: +1.

It's the same for me, really. My privacy settings are considered strange. As I'm willing to share thoughts and ideas, believes, medical stuff even but am tight lipped about people and such.. mundane things. And silent as grave over some stuff.

This is part of the reason to me why INFJ seem so other people focused. They really do not want to be scrutinized. They want connection, but it unsettles them somehow, as well.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
You know you're an INFJ when..

Though you want to be understood, you only care to be understood by those close to you. If everyone understood you, it would freak you out. :D

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJs just have a different standard for what they consider private. They can be very open about many things simply because they have been processed and are therefore without danger. They do always seem to keep a core of themselves closed off, however.

+2

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is part of the reason to me why INFJ seem so other people focused. They really do not want to be scrutinized. They want connection, but it unsettles them somehow, as well.

This is probably true for me.

I often deflect attention away from myself, and turn it upon the other person. So the other person is left not knowing a vast amount about me. I guess most people aren't tenacious enough, or don't put forth much effort to get past the 'deflections' - although a few people I've known have done so, and I appreciate it in a way, even though in the moment it can be exceedingly uncomfortable for me.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is probably true for me.

I often deflect attention away from myself, and turn it upon the other person. So the other person is left not knowing a vast amount about me. I guess most people aren't tenacious enough, or don't put forth much effort to get past the 'deflections' - although a few people I've known have done so, and I appreciate it in a way, even though in the moment it can be exceedingly uncomfortable for me.

Oh I know what you mean! Just reading your description made me feel uncomfortable, as I recalled what it's like when someone does this to me.