• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I have a tendency to fold my hands in front of me, or hold my hands to my mouth (think cutsy-girly). But I also have a few "power poses" when I need to exert myself..
But they definitely came from somewhere; I didn't stand that way a couple of years back.

S

Sniffles

Come to find out, the branch of Thomism that I was taught in my metaphysics class here is called "Existential Thomism", or Neo-Thomism.

I take it you studied Jacques Maritain? He's one of my favorite philosophers, and himself remarked how Thomism was the only true Existentialism - contra Sartre.

Another good Catholic Existentialist is Gabriel Marcel. I'm utterly convinced the man was INFJ, just based on the manner he presents his thoughts.

BTW Kyrielle, I find myself doing those poses as well....except for the last one.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
True, I also hate to have uninvited guests or people from my family in my room it's very distracting and I get cranky.
:angry:!

I totally agree. A few years ago at a writers' workshop *everyone* would gather in my room during my "down" time. I don't know if they assumed I was an extravert because of my behavior during the day or if they thought somehow I was "trapped" in my room because I use a power wheelchair for mobility. (Actually, I'm much more mobile in my chair than most "walkies"--unless stairs are involved, lol). By the end of the week I was depleted and *very* cranky.:steam:

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I totally agree. A few years ago at a writers' workshop *everyone* would gather in my room during my "down" time. I don't know if they assumed I was an extravert because of my behavior during the day or if they thought somehow I was "trapped" in my room because I use a power wheelchair for mobility. (Actually, I'm much more mobile in my chair than most "walkies"--unless stairs are involved, lol). By the end of the week I was depleted and *very* cranky.:steam:

I've been in situations like this before. Telling some people "I would just like to be alone for a while" usually ends up with their feelings being hurt.

Sometimes you just have to pretend like your sick and say you're going to go lay down. Usually people avoid me out of fear of getting sick too. ;) Yes, it's lying, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Whenever my ISFJ mom (who loves showing off every inch our house) brings guests into my room, I'm definitely forced to chase them out with my bat.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You know you're anINFJ when...

I've been in situations like this before. Telling some people "I would just like to be alone for a while" usually ends up with their feelings being hurt.

Sometimes you just have to pretend like your sick and say you're going to go lay down. Usually people avoid me out of fear of getting sick too. ;) Yes, it's lying, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Can't--won't--do that. It's a gimp thing, I think; people already see me as more fragile than I am so I do the "toughing it out" thing way too much, to my detriment. I like the bat idea, though. *Then* they wouldn't think I was fragile. Still, someone might get more than their feelings hurt.:devil:

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Getting back to what Lotr246 mentioned, do you ever find yourself subconsciously imitating the poses of people either you admire, or just poses by others you find impressive?

I do this often. Here's a few examples of poses I often imitate in various circumstances:
winston_churchill_1941.jpg

Sartre500_500.jpg

PF_1954443~Portrait-of-St-Thomas-Aquinas-circa-1475-Posters.jpg

etzioni_main.jpg

nietsche_3.jpg

Feel free to post your own examples! :D

Yes now that you mention it, I find myself doing this often:

johnny%20cash%20finger.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

S

Sniffles

Hey no problem, come to think of it - I find myself doing that pose quite often as well. :D

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
You are pretty oblivious to the world around you when you are thinking but never fail to notice details that have a personal meaning for you.
ex:you can hear your name in a conversation a mile away :tongue:.
Also, you can seem very annoying or clingy to people by giving them advice or worrying about them too much.

chrihazy1

MBTI Type
INFJ
So, has anyone else been told that they are the most practical, down to earth person they know, yet you think they're totally crazy but when you talk to other people about it they agree? Or is this just me?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Down to earth and "no nonsense" yes very often. :yes:

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
People who don't know me well think I've very practical, and even the ones that do know I am to an extent. I like dreaming, but I also like to make sure any dreams that are feasible are also realistic enough to be believable.
But I'm still a dreamer :D

Thunderlight

MBTI Type
INFJ
So, has anyone else been told that they are the most practical, down to earth person they know, yet you think they're totally crazy but when you talk to other people about it they agree? Or is this just me?

yes all the way. Im from california and everyone goes you are the epitome of california attitude. I guess its true....

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ

YES. I have been told that I am "so practical and detail oriented." This really baffles me. I would never describe myself as either of those. I am spacey and I am prone to daydreaming and running into objects (especially ones that were recently moved to a new location).

I think they mistaken my orientation to detail with my ability to see flaws in proposed ideas. Ni (as I perceive it) starts from the end of the problem and works its way back, and that's how I spot gaps and inconsistencies in plans. I guess I could understand how this could be described as "detail oriented."

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
YES. I have been told that I am "so practical and detail oriented." This really baffles me. I would never describe myself as either of those. I am spacey and I am prone to daydreaming and running into objects (especially ones that were recently moved to a new location).

I think they mistaken my orientation to detail with my ability to see flaws in proposed ideas. Ni (as I perceive it) starts from the end of the problem and works its way back, and that's how I spot gaps and inconsistencies in plans. I guess I could understand how this could be described as "detail oriented."

Maybe it's a comparitive thing. As ENFP I see you as detail oriented. But it is because we are less so. Like when I look at posts from INFJs the writing and grammar is often perfected too much for an ENFP :). We care more about the ideas, the tone, the playfulness of the words etc. Details like spelling and grammar are an after thought. The judging element might also look like detail oriented to the P types.

You're post actually fits more with the NFP sytle. There are spelling and grammar mistakes, the writing is relaxed, it feels natural to read for an NFP. You also pull apart problems NFP style. But looking at your chart the I and the J aren't really going to be wrong. Maybe our types are a lot similar than I thought.

Peguy's writing would be more what I generally see INFJ to be. They definitely aren't down to earth though, their behaviour looks strange even to an ENFP :).

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Maybe it's a comparitive thing. As ENFP I see you as detail oriented. But it is because we are less so. Like when I look at posts from INFJs the writing and grammar is often perfected too much for an ENFP :). We care more about the ideas, the tone, the playfulness of the words etc. Details like spelling and grammar are an after thought. The judging element might also look like detail oriented to the P types.

You're post actually fits more with the NFP sytle. There are spelling and grammar mistakes, the writing is relaxed, it feels natural to read for an NFP. You also pull apart problems NFP style. But looking at your chart the I and the J aren't really going to be wrong. Maybe our types are a lot similar than I thought.

Peguy's writing would be more what I generally see INFJ to be. They definitely aren't down to earth though, their behaviour looks strange even to an ENFP :).

That wasn't one of my better posts. I did spot a grammar problem (or two), but I didn't see any notable spelling errors. Most of my errors are caused by me going back and restructuring my sentences for clarity's sake. Now you have made me paranoid about my writing style! Usually the quality of the post can be determined by how strongly I feel about the topic.

S

Sniffles

That's Peguy for you, fucking up the reputation of all other INFJs. :redface:

As for grammar and spelling, well I honestly wouldn't consider myself a top-notch person in this field. I constantly notice spelling and grammar errors in my posts - and it does irritate me when that occurs.

I'm an aesthetic perfectionist I guess, it all has to look and sound perfect.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not a grammar freak but I often edit after reading the post if I've already posted:tongue: if it seems unintelligible to me.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I get a little more relaxed in some instances, but I like to stay correct if I can. Of course, that's partly so that when I'm trying to get an idea across, I can do it in a way that is intelligible and impressionable to the audience.
In other words, I want people to know what I'm talking about, and I want to sound smart so they take me seriously :D

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Hmm. The most practical and down to earth person? No. Generally detail-oriented, practical, and methodical when it comes to most things? Yes. It doesn't puzzle me. I usually figure it has something to do with Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se working in tandem. Ni provides an idea from whereever it gets its ideas, Fe makes sure all involved are considered, Ti spots problems, Se goes and makes the idea real, then fixes the problems with Ni's guidance under the limitations of Fe. From the outside, it makes me appear practical, because what others see operating when I'm trying to make an idea happen is Se with an overtone of Fe.