• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You know you're INFJ when you get sudden bursts of extreme affection for someone or something, rather than a semi-constant stream

....and it usually occurs when they're not there, and you spam them with loving messages/emails/etc and they're like "what the hell...?"

Yes. I'll share this slightly embarrassing moment in one of my classes. The class was having a discussion on generative and software art and at some point a handful of us started talking about code and what roles it plays in computers and all this other exceedingly detailed material that I could only dream of truly knowing anything about. Well...quite suddenly...I wanted to hug every single damn person in the room taking part in that little mini discussion. I had no rational reason why. I just wanted to so badly. I went home and told this story to my roommate, who promptly teased me for the next week about wanting to jump unsuspecting programmers' bones or cuddle them. :blush:

So, yeah. I do the same thing. Even down to the random e-mails to people I know well and care about.

I do this a lot with films and books, talking after watching the six hour BBC Pride and Prejudice can be interesting. It's also the reason I refuse to read books like Lord of the Flies and why it took me four months to read Crime and Punishment. I can't stand being in disturbed people's heads. I start to think like them a little. It's scary.

I don't mind it, though it is scary. It's even more frightening when I realise I'm not even that far away from being that disturbed if I think about it. There really isn't much holding sanity in place, and whatever that is is intangible and bound to be fragile. Understanding the fragility of your sanity. That is what is scary.

O my god... so true. I hate movies where the character goes insane and starts to question reality. I really start to freak out. The big "What If" factor plays into this

Do you ever, after movies, pretend it's real for a little while afterwards? Just inside your head. You know...you go see something epic and adventurous and you come out of the theater thinking that it all happened to you for a few hours. Do all people do this?

Thunderlight

MBTI Type
INFJ
^ yea, I do. Then I try and scramble away from the hypothetical black hole. Cause heaven knows Ive got enough worries about my sanity than to add someone else's thoughts to the mix

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Do you ever, after movies, pretend it's real for a little while afterwards? Just inside your head. You know...you go see something epic and adventurous and you come out of the theater thinking that it all happened to you for a few hours. Do all people do this?

I do this at work. Boxes become orcs and I become legolas trying to "put away" as many of them as I can. Daydreaming while doing my job is kind of something that gets me through it.

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
I've also noticed that understanding other people's minds/motives can sometimes be the greatest curse, in a way.

B

ByMySword

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!!!

YOU MEAN I'M NOT CRAZY?????

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Middle Earth once became my real home for several years.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, I do! :happy2: the movie theater thing and the mini discussion too!
I often thought I was mentally ill too, I would read things about narcissism and avoidant personality disorder and whatnot and I could relate so I thought I was crazy.
Then my friend reminded me one important factor:
- crazy people never consider themselves to even possibly be crazy.
(But I still think I do.:ninja:)

Evi

MBTI Type
INFJ
O my god... so true. I hate movies where the character goes insane and starts to question reality. I really start to freak out. The big "What If" factor plays into this

Understanding! The family/friends I watch movies with don't get this, they think I'm nuts for thinking as if I'm in another persons head, and I agree to a certain extent. Maybe this is the reason I dislike horror films? Combining the loss of sanity with empathizing with the characters fears. Also I don't need help freaking myself out, my mind is a horror film easily enough on my own. The really disturbing parts often get put on loop in my head as I try to processes them. The images stay with me for days and I can easily recall them years latter. Anyone else dislike horror?

Ummm, yes. This is especially true if I don't currently feel like dealing with my own life. I don't often become the main characters, instead I carve out a place for myself with in that world, rework the story line a little or add to it. Middle Earth was a regular escape for me too.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
You know you're an infj when your view of life is a mixture of deep skepticism(99) and idealism.(1%) :)) percentages may vary depending on moods.)
It's not that you're a grinch, you just don't like bullshit.
:)

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ

Notice the insane characters seem to know what's really going on and and nobody else does until it's too late? Yes, soylent green really is people.

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've also noticed that understanding other people's minds/motives can sometimes be the greatest curse, in a way.

Yes, Travo7, I hate the knowingness. I feel it isolates me from other people because I'm too busy putting them in a petri dish to really connect with them.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Yes. I'll share this slightly embarrassing moment in one of my classes. The class was having a discussion on generative and software art and at some point a handful of us started talking about code and what roles it plays in computers and all this other exceedingly detailed material that I could only dream of truly knowing anything about. Well...quite suddenly...I wanted to hug every single damn person in the room taking part in that little mini discussion. I had no rational reason why. I just wanted to so badly. I went home and told this story to my roommate, who promptly teased me for the next week about wanting to jump unsuspecting programmers' bones or cuddle them. :blush:

So, yeah. I do the same thing. Even down to the random e-mails to people I know well and care about.

I get that a lot on this site sometimes, and I don't really know why. Probably because I'm the only one I know in real life that's interested in mbti, and I can talk about it here; people actually make an effort to understand me :/
That means a lot, even if I don't know them, they don't know me, and we probably will never get beyond that.

I do it almost subconsciously. Actually, that's basically what it is; I replay movies in my mind and sometimes get a real emotional response to it.
That's why I can't watch scary movies. My ESTP friend doesn't really understand it, but horror movies seem to come to life to me sometimes, and the effects last so long because of the paranoia it sends me into...
Want to make me a clingy, stressed out, sick, sad excuse of a person for a week or more? Make me watch a "good" horror movie.

Thunderlight

MBTI Type
INFJ
so im guessing you guys also get into movies so much you forget the screen is there? And you become sad when characters die in books? (DUMBLEDORE!!!:cry::shocking::puppy_dog_eyes::cry:)

S

Sniffles

And you become sad when characters die in books? (DUMBLEDORE!!!:cry::shocking::puppy_dog_eyes::cry:)

Well I don't read fiction too much, so I really can't say. If I'm reading about an interesting person and then they die, you could say that. I just don't really know how this could apply fully to non-fiction books; even though I tend to read them as if they were stories. ;)

Evi

MBTI Type
INFJ
so im guessing you guys also get into movies so much you forget the screen is there? And you become sad when characters die in books? (DUMBLEDORE!!!:cry::shocking::puppy_dog_eyes::cry:)

Correct.

I cryed at the end of Voyage of the Dawn Treader when Lucy and Edmond could never come back to Narnia. Books were/are my friends and more real to me than some people.

Thunderlight

MBTI Type
INFJ
awwww me too. and the scene with the white flowers in the water was so beautiful

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Yes. I cried when Dumbledore died. And I cried through most of the last book for that series. And when Lucy and Peter were told they couldn't go back (oh I remember thinking clearly, "But it's not fair!"). And when I thought Frodo was dead in Cirith Ungol (I did something I normally don't do...I ran and grabbed the last book and checked ahead to see if he lived...it bothered me that much. :blush:).

I'm the same as Evi. Sometimes characters in books end up becoming close friends in my mind. Makes it horrible when the book ends and the story is over and I have to say goodbye to them.

Here is one I'm wondering is just me:

When ordering food, it is easy for someone to change your mind because you realise, on the spot, that this new idea is better and the result is everyone getting confused by what you want (including, probably, yourself) so you have to go back and summarise what you think you want. That was a long one. But I wondered yesterday if other people are as easily swayed to choose something else when it comes to ordering things. (I would need a firm wingman with me when buying cars. Not because I would overspend, but because I would get tired and confused from considering all the options the dealer would throw at me.)

LindseyLadybug

MBTI Type
INFJ
Here is one I'm wondering is just me:

When ordering food, it is easy for someone to change your mind because you realise, on the spot, that this new idea is better and the result is everyone getting confused by what you want (including, probably, yourself) so you have to go back and summarise what you think you want. That was a long one. But I wondered yesterday if other people are as easily swayed to choose something else when it comes to ordering things. (I would need a firm wingman with me when buying cars. Not because I would overspend, but because I would get tired and confused from considering all the options the dealer would throw at me.)

Yep! I do that pretty much every time unless it's a familar restaurant and I always order the same thing there. But yeah, I'm famous for, "Oh wait, I want that instead!!" and my, "Oooh! I didn't know they had that! I changed my mind."

S

Sniffles

Yeah it's annoying when trying to order food when not only you have several good choices, and people are constantly giving you suggestions.