Page 81 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're an INFJ when...

Senior Mugwump Array Apollanaut's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    I've had more than one teacher wondering about my hearing comprehension in learning a language. And I can relate to just knowing what the other person is saying. Even if I shoudn't because of my actual skill level being lower.
    But then again, I learn by listening.

What type or learners are you? Visual, kinesthetic, auditory etc..?
    I'm very much Visual/kinesthetic - I need to see something and then do it myself to learn best. Auditory is more in the background for me - as a sort of running commentary or analysis of what's happening around me. If someone is explaning something verbally to me, I have to make pictures in my mind to fully understand what they are saying.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I've had more than one teacher wondering about my hearing comprehension in learning a language. And I can relate to just knowing what the other person is saying. Even if I shoudn't because of my actual skill level being lower.
    But then again, I learn by listening.

I'm much like Appollanaut about the auditory and visual. If I cant use the concept and toy with it, it gets stagnant and slips out of my head very quickly. In school I find that I automatically mess with concepts in class, usually by making my own math equation or sentence in a language.

With foreign languages, I think I need drilling to get used to the feel of words before I understand things. I did have a Chinese instructor for nearly a year, but it was an awkward situation and I don't think I got much out of it besides pronunciation. Being a self-conscious perfectionist doesn't help my speaking either

With languages do you struggle with pronunciation or grammar the most? For me its grammar, I get pronunciation well and easily but I am never sure if I got the grammar right. (Finnish is an exception, it seems to work with how I speak, I add suffixes mostly, especially in speech.)
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Sniffles

Grammar is a pain for me to learn. This is especially true when trying to learn languages like Russian.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

INFJ if... You can be sure of some idea one minute, and the next some new information, that might not even matter, makes you feel totally shaky on your idea. This caused me a lot of trouble when even trying to figure out my type among other problems.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

-Nightwish

Senior Member Array gloomy-optimist's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    When I was learning a foreign language I knew what a person was saying to me and could carry on a conversation outside of class. However, I couldn't pick out the words the person said, so obviously I didn't know what the singular words meant. (There was a delay of a few seconds after they spoke before I knew what they said.) I wonder if this an INFJ process for learning languages.
    This is how I learned Dutch when I spent 10 months in the Netherlands; I was pretty good by the end, but it was still difficult for me to translate exact meanings in things; I knew what they meant, I just didn't know what they were, if that makes sense :B

I am a visual/auditory learner, though, so that helped, I think.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    In general, the act of writing what I learn internally processes the information for me. I usually don't look at it again. Does that correspond to one of these learning types?

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I'm much like Appollanaut about the auditory and visual. If I cant use the concept and toy with it, it gets stagnant and slips out of my head very quickly. In school I find that I automatically mess with concepts in class, usually by making my own math equation or sentence in a language.

With foreign languages, I think I need drilling to get used to the feel of words before I understand things. I did have a Chinese instructor for nearly a year, but it was an awkward situation and I don't think I got much out of it besides pronunciation. Being a self-conscious perfectionist doesn't help my speaking either

With languages do you struggle with pronunciation or grammar the most? For me its grammar, I get pronunciation well and easily but I am never sure if I got the grammar right. (Finnish is an exception, it seems to work with how I speak, I add suffixes mostly, especially in speech.)
    Grammar is a pain for me too. Pronunciation and the rhythm of the language come easiest. But I keep forgetting the grammar rules, unless they come from the spine, so to say. (The suffixes are known to be the hardest part so that's thumbs up if you get them well. )

I'm pretty auditory person, I'd say, but the toughest part in class is keeping up concentration to voice.. So I doodle or make notes at the same time. I'd say visual is my second strongest and helping. While listening, things naturally draw patterns inside my mind and I tend to remember the details and describtions the lecturer has spoken, and things make more sense when someone speaks them outloud. (?). So it's easy to remember them for me. But the more detailed thing it is the more I'm going to need some visual clue also.

karenk I remember that being part of the process to refress the learned things. It sounds kinesthetic to me, since it's more of a 'hands on' approach.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

^ Suffixes work well with me when I grind out the sentence in writing, but in speech: ( ) - Not nearly enough fluent speakers of cool languages where I live until I decide to practice Spanish.

Who here finds jokes about jobs/race/stereotypes humorous? For me they're funny, but not in a domineering way, just looking at the differences in people in a humorous way. As long as they aren't taken seriously I think they're great

I have trouble keeping up with my own train of thought, and then it gets derailed and I have to pick up somewhere. If I can follow it for a good length of time I get a lot of great insights, like finishing a Rubik's cube. Anyone else have this happen often?

-Nightwish

Senior Mugwump Array Apollanaut's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    In general, the act of writing what I learn internally processes the information for me. I usually don't look at it again. Does that correspond to one of these learning types?
    That's a kinaesthetic learning style.
    INFJ 9w1 sx/sp/so

"A wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to." - Gandalf The Grey

And if I only could,
    I'd make a deal with God,
    And I'd get him to swap our places,
    Be running up that road,
    Be running up that hill,
    With no problems.

- Kate Bush

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    That's a kinaesthetic learning style.
    Thanks.

(Now I feel extra irritated the ESxJs at my last job had strong reactions to writing since it's just another learning style. ugh!)