Page 56 of 235 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're an INFJ when...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy-optimist View Post
    INFJ:
    * Being exposed as inferior or inadequate will be intolerable.
    I get notice this with an INFJ I know. There's a strange competition and fight over things sometimes that seems to make no sense. Like offering a hand to help her up, and getting rejected with a dismissive, "no I can do it." Like it isn't said in a harsh angry way, just dismissive I need to be strong sort of way. And you think for a second, what?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

I get this feeling all the time in regards to the books in my personal library.
    Agree. I am always buying more books before I read the ones I already have.

You know you're an INFJ, if you use "we" when referring to yourself. I also notice this in my writing. Instead of saying what I think/feel, I make it more of a discussion with my audience.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy-optimist View Post
    INFJ:

* I am socially inept and socially undesirable in work or social situations.
    * Other people are potentially critical, indifferent, demeaning, or rejecting.
    * I cannot tolerate unpleasant feelings.
    * If people get close to me, they will discover the "real" me and reject me.(haha, I "chant this everyday")
    * Being exposed as inferior or inadequate will be intolerable.
    * I should avoid unpleasant situations at all costs.
    * If I feel or think something unpleasant, I should try to wipe it out or distract myself—for example, think of something else, have a drink, take a drug, or watch television.
    * I should avoid situations in which I attract attention, or I should be as inconspicuous as possible.
    * Unpleasant feelings will escalate and get out of control.
    * If others criticize me, they must be right.
    * It is better not to do anything than to try something that might fail.
    * If I don't think about a problem, I don't have to do anything about it.
    * Any signs of tension in a relationship indicate the relationship has gone bad; therefore, I should cut it off.
    * If I ignore a problem, it will go away.

INFP:

* I am an interesting, exciting person.
    * In order to be happy I need other people to pay attention to me.
    * Unless I entertain or impress people, I am nothing.
    * If I don't keep others engaged with me, they won't like me.
    * The way to get what I want is to dazzle or amuse people.
    * If people don't respond very positively to me, they are rotten.
    * It is awful for people to ignore me.
    * I should be the center of attention.
    * I don't have to bother to think things through—I can go by my "gut" feeling.
    * If I entertain people, they will not notice my weaknesses.
    * I cannot tolerate boredom.
    * If I feel like doing something, I should go ahead and do it.
    * People will pay attention only if I act in extreme ways.
    * Feelings and intuition are much more important that rational thinking and planning.

I think I relate more with the INFJ side, but I dunno. I think I should take a closer look at them when I have more time.
    Same here.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

Senior Member Array gloomy-optimist's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    I get notice this with an INFJ I know. There's a strange competition and fight over things sometimes that seems to make no sense. Like offering a hand to help her up, and getting rejected with a dismissive, "no I can do it." Like it isn't said in a harsh angry way, just dismissive I need to be strong sort of way. And you think for a second, what?!?
    I don't like it when other people think I can't be strong for myself, because then they might have to worry about me. I don't like the extra attention or causing other people to have to go out of their way to help me. It's not because I'm too shy or because I'm ultra-self satisfied (I'm actually fairly extroverted for an INFJ, sometimes); it's just that I want to know that I can be strong if and when I need to be, for myself and for others.

And I guess that carries over to other parts of life where it shouldn't even matter sometimes :B

You read to transform the way you think about things

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lotr246 View Post
    You read to transform the way you think about things
    Yes of course. Or at the very least, help provide more meat to your already existing insights.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Yes of course. Or at the very least, help provide more meat to your already existing insights.
    Actually this is what I see as an ENFP. My weakness is often not having the information to fill out the picture enough and make the correct links. I'm not sure how the INFJ works exactly, but I often get the feeling they are very sure of things without the external data needed to have that intuition. Like Ne and Ni are great tools but they rely on there being enough information, and it is good to be aware of that. One fact can completely change the conclusion. You guys might be more likely to have the full picture with Ni being more about yourself though. The world seems to have a lot of info for Ne to amass. Hence our ADHD like behaviour .

Sniffles

noigmn I admit to having difficulty responding to your post. Not that it was bad, but rather it's a difficult matter to fully explain.

I can only speak for myself but Ni does not always create random stuff out of thin air. In many cases, my Ni creates new insights from facts and information I already know.

A good example of this would be my Ni rant about the French revolution and how that relates to issues of "Political theology".

Now many of the facts I present I've already known for several years, since the French revolution is one of my favorite historical eras to study. But the insights I presented on that historical event is new.

Not only that, I can also read a single sentence or argument about something, and automatically it just "clicks" into my head, and at that moment I can fully articulate the point much further right off the bat - often with info I already know.

I hope this makes sense, cause I'm having trouble explaining this really.

Anyways, my next rant in my blog was about Ni:
    ...I have the constant problem of being unable to fully articulate my views. It isn't because my views are not fully developed to any extent, it mostly has to due to the fact that I'm an Introverted Intuitive, and Ni by nature is not something that can be fully expressed through words.

Not only that, as I mentioned elsewhere, Ni is all about Meta-perspective - seeing things from a full perspective. When you see things from the "50,000 ft." perspective, there's simply too much to describe and explain to somebody else. You literally have to see it for yourself to believe it. Bluewing in his INFJ profile mentioned that INFJs are often overwhelmed by the myriad of ideas that flow through their minds.

To add on to that, Ni is very random and irrational. The insights it provides don't come readily, and only appear momentarily. So only for short, but very intense, periods at a time can I ever articulate my views to a great extent. Unfortunately, too often right when I'm the middle of articulation, my mind literally goes blank.

Which in the end gives the impression of my thoughts being rather fragmentary in nature. The reality behind the actual words is far different, there's literally an entire universe other people simply don't see.

Sniffles

And let me add another thing. Ni insights also create an urge to seek out more info on the matter, as if trying to validate its claims.

So Ni IMO works in two ways. It helps creates interest in new areas via insight, and inspires new insights on info you already know.

That's my point in short.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

And let me add another thing. Ni insights also create an urge to seek out more info on the matter, as if trying to validate its claims.

So Ni IMO works in two ways. It helps creates interest in new areas via insight, and inspires new insights on info you already know.

That's my point in short.
    Well don't forget that Ni and Se often work together, one playing off the other. So, you could easily receive Se information and Ni will derive insights from that information. Or you could create a new insight via Ni, and Se will pop in to attempt to realise that idea.

Which is basically what you were saying.

I remember this bit being discussed on that INFJ or INFP website by Vicki Jo.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost