Thread: You know you're an INFJ when...

Senior Member Array gloomy-optimist's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

Hmm, there's a good question; I'm not sure it would be so much just MBTI, but also how you associate with them in real life, as well.
    To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know. I think some more serious and analytical types, as well as some rather ADD P types, might be category 1. The other 2, who knows?
    Wanna take a crack? Which do you think is more 2 or 3?

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    So would theistic existentialism be built around the idea that meaning in life can only be defined through God?
    Quoted from Wikipedia, as I wasn't able to put my thoughts to words:
    Theistic existentialism is, for the most part, Christian in its outlook, but there have been existentialists of other theological persuasions, like Islam (see Transcendent theosophy) and Judaism. The main thing that sets them apart from atheistic existentialists is that they posit the existence of God, and that He is the source of our being. It is generally held that God has designed the world in such a way that we must define our own lives, and each individual is held accountable for his or her own self-definition.

Senior Member Array StoryOfMyLife's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    True, I also hate to have uninvited guests or people from my family in my room it's very distracting and I get cranky.
    !
    I'm the same way. It's one thing to have somebody I said 'hey, come in sit with me in here so we can get away from everyone else' to--- but it's another when they just assume my room is the place to hang out.

The last place I lived, during the winter, we did sort of congregate in my room because it was warmer than being in the living room-- however, when one of those friends who is off work for 2 1/2 months due to an arm-ligament related injury spends the night on your bedroom floor nearly every single night and doesn't take hints that she ought to be going home to sleep at least some of those nights...it tends to get very...very....frustrating...and I did get so cranky from it.

..lo and behold, she's my current roommate. go figure, right? I'm so glad I'm an unusually patient person...most of the time.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lotr246 View Post
    To you, life is an echo. What you have once said comes back to you from someone else who had no knowledge of what you said. It makes life seem connected.
    If only I got paid everytime I discovered how my own thoughts closely parallels that of some great thinker, writer, or even an entire school of thought.

It's often stated that INFJs are better at generating questions than generating answers. I must admit I only vaguely understand this, so any help is welcomed.

I notice I myself am better able in generating questions in others. Everytime I try to explain my own thoughts to other people, it seems I leave people with more questions than answers. Probably because, as I stated in my rant about Ni, there's so much for me to explain I can't possibly explain it all.

That's also why I often see my role as one of provoking thought in others rather than actually explaining things to others. I'm better at making people think(or even rethink) about issues.

I do notice that a major reason why I'm such a voracious reader of so many books on so many topics is because well I wish to have numerous questions I have answered.

And even then, answers are often just the genesis for new questions - as one INFJ told me.

I don't know, if anybody here can explain this better you're more than welcome.

Sniffles

Getting back to what Lotr246 mentioned, do you ever find yourself subconsciously imitating the poses of people either you admire, or just poses by others you find impressive?

I do this often. Here's a few examples of poses I often imitate in various circumstances:

Feel free to post your own examples!

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    If only I got paid everytime I discovered how my own thoughts closely parallels that of some great thinker, writer, or even an entire school of thought.

It's often stated that INFJs are better at generating questions than generating answers. I must admit I only vaguely understand this, so any help is welcomed.

I notice I myself am better able in generating questions in others. Everytime I try to explain my own thoughts to other people, it seems I leave people with more questions than answers. Probably because, as I stated in my rant about Ni, there's so much for me to explain I can't possibly explain it all.

That's also why I often see my role as one of provoking thought in others rather than actually explaining things to others. I'm better at making people think(or even rethink) about issues.

I do notice that a major reason why I'm such a voracious reader of so many books on so many topics is because well I wish to have numerous questions I have answered.

And even then, answers are often just the genesis for new questions - as one INFJ told me.

I don't know, if anybody here can explain this better you're more than welcome.
    Yes, I agree totally. Some people have told me they don't like how I make them think about things. Usually, this comes from generating a question that others seem to have missed. What is even more interesting is that these questions I pose almost seem like answers. It's difficult, though, because I cannot offer a direct solution. I see our minds as a wrapped present, where each torn-off piece represents a question. Yet, when we tear off all the pieces, we find we have another present ready to be unwrapped. I'm curious, what are the answers you are searching for in your reading?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lotr246 View Post
    I'm curious, what are the answers you are searching for in your reading?
    Depends on what I'm reading at the moment. I will give one good example of this in action.

This one issue kept bothering me: OTOH I'm a very staunch supporter of localism - ie local culture and small communities; yet at the same time a person who sees the big picture. Often I'm more interested in what's happening halfway around the world than whats happening closer to me. So an apparent contradiction no, especially with our common attitudes on the issue?

That was untill I read Leopold Kohr's Breakdown of Nations, which remains one of my favorite books concerning social-political philosophy.

Anyways, he argued that there is no contradiction between being a mind that sees the big picture and being a localist. With localism, one is better able to grasp the big picture because the big picture within your grasp - as opposed to halfway across the globe. The key events in your life happen at your doorsteps, not halfway around the world.

Kohr remarked that Plato was able to make such deep observations about human nature because he was able to meet people of various types in one small city(Athens)!

As Kohr even once remarked about the small town of Salzburg in Austria:
    "The rural population that built this capital city of barely more than 30,000 for its own enjoyment never numbered more than 120,000. Yet, single-handedly they managed to adorn it with more than 30 magnificent churches, castles, and palaces standing in lilied ponds, and an amplitude of fountains, cafes, and inns. And such was their sophisticated taste that they required a dozen theaters, a choir for every church, and an array of composers for every choir, so that it is not surprising that one of the local boys should have been Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...All this was the result of smallness, achieved with not an iota of foreign. And what a rich city they made it into."
    So apparently I had plenty of questions as to how two apparently contrary attitudes of mine could come together, and my readings help enormously in answering those questions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Getting back to what Lotr246 mentioned, do you ever find yourself subconsciously imitating the poses of people either you admire, or just poses by others you find impressive?

Feel free to post your own examples!
    Yes. Usually I end up mirroring them during conversation. I believe it is a good sign--if I imitate your poses and gestures I am interested in what you are saying and/or feel that I am on the same wavelength as you are.

Some common poses I adopt that I don't see my peers do much (I suspect I've picked them up from older, more severe people or from people in movies):

On the other hand, this is one I've retained since childhood. People tell me, that it actually does make me look like a little girl.

"I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Apollanaut View Post
    Oh Yes!
    Ultra ditto.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

MBTI
    INFJ

Come to find out, the branch of Thomism that I was taught in my metaphysics class here is called "Existential Thomism", or Neo-Thomism.

Enneagram 4w5 social