User Tag List

Page 191 of 235 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2345

Thread: You know you're an INFJ when...

  1. #1901
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MFJAGgernaut-B View Post
    You know you're an INFJ if one of the questions you ask when negotiating installation of a security system in your house is "Now, does it come with infrared sensors and semi-automatic defense turrets, or does it just make a bunch of noise and call your home office?"

    If you're talented at asking the above question as a joke; it's a serious question, but the technician you're asking will never know.

    On the flip side..the questions you ask are bypassing the obvious assuming the person you are asking is going to also. For instance, a dentist once told me my son should get braces. My son's teeth were barely crooked and didn't look bad to me so I asked the dentist if it would make any difference to the health of my son's teeth if he didn't get braces. I got this stupid 5 minute diatribe about simple oral care, flossing, etc., the kind of care my son did on a daily basis anyway. The dentist didn't take into account that my son had been coming in there since he was 3 for his biannual cleanings and that he had never had a cavity. Well....DUH! I'm forced to say "I understand that, my question was...", or I have to phrase the question starting out with the whole rigmarole ending with the actual question I wanted to ask.

    I get this all the time, and from smart people too?

    When people ask me questions like that I can assume they know existing simple facts that most people know before giving them an answer.
    Are some people too literal?

    One time I was at a stingray encounter at Grand Cayman. It turned out that those things freaked me out and I couldn't get back to boat fast enough. The same thing happened with one of my friends in another group. Later, when all of the friends were together at dinner the two of us were laughing about it when one people (a scuba diver) in the group made this comment, "next time just remember that if everyone else is having fun doing it then you should realize there is nothing to be afraid of". My friend and I looked at each other then said WHAT????

  2. #1902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lillyofthevalley View Post
    On the flip side..the questions you ask are bypassing the obvious assuming the person you are asking is going to also. For instance, a dentist once told me my son should get braces. My son's teeth were barely crooked and didn't look bad to me so I asked the dentist if it would make any difference to the health of my son's teeth if he didn't get braces. I got this stupid 5 minute diatribe about simple oral care, flossing, etc., the kind of care my son did on a daily basis anyway. The dentist didn't take into account that my son had been coming in there since he was 3 for his biannual cleanings and that he had never had a cavity. Well....DUH! I'm forced to say "I understand that, my question was...", or I have to phrase the question starting out with the whole rigmarole ending with the actual question I wanted to ask.

    I get this all the time, and from smart people too?
    I have concluded that, based upon my observations of human cultures, as an individual increases in his intellectual academic facilities, he also develops a tendency to grossly underestimate the intelligence quotients of those he perceives as beneath his level of academia. This makes such individuals notoriously prone to assuming the need to explain common details in answer to a question requiring a relatively simple answer, resulting in the asking party assuming the previously-perceived "genius" to be of much lower intelligence overall.

    TRANSLATED: The smarter you get in one area, the dumber you get in another, and no one judges accordingly. You got a doctrate? Awesome! BUT YOU'RE STILL A DUMBASS, DOC.


    If your outlook on human intelligence is one that assumes everyone is an idiot, including yourself. Your stone face and quiet demeanor just make it easier to hide it.

  3. #1903
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MFJAGgernaut-B View Post
    I have concluded that, based upon my observations of human cultures, as an individual increases in his intellectual academic facilities, he also develops a tendency to grossly underestimate the intelligence quotients of those he perceives as beneath his level of academia. This makes such individuals notoriously prone to assuming the need to explain common details in answer to a question requiring a relatively simple answer, resulting in the asking party assuming the previously-perceived "genius" to be of much lower intelligence overall.

    TRANSLATED: The smarter you get in one area, the dumber you get in another, and no one judges accordingly. You got a doctrate? Awesome! BUT YOU'RE STILL A DUMBASS, DOC.


    If your outlook on human intelligence is one that assumes everyone is an idiot, including yourself. Your stone face and quiet demeanor just make it easier to hide it.
    LOL, I think you're right.

    I just want to add that many of these folks have big egos. Some of these people I've encountered aren't that educated. It's as if explaining the obvious reinforces their own perception of how intelligent they are.

    Or like you say, they assume everyone is stupid.

  4. #1904
    "Everything in its place" Array fill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    753
    Posts
    507

    Default

    You're put into a completely new community, and the friend that you pour your emotions out to is no longer within a reasonable distance. You then find yourself with no outlet of emotion except for trying as hard as you can to let them go by yourself.

    ...Fuck.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

  5. #1905
    Senior Member Array MrRandom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MFJAGgernaut-B View Post
    I'll use the example of Simon Baker's character Patrick Jane from The Mentalist. Jane is a clearcut INFJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFJAGgernaut-B View Post
    On another side-note: You know you're INFJ when you're watching this show, and you know exactly what Patrick Jane is going to do next. Because it's exactly what you would do.
    Hey, thanks for the TV tip! I watched the first episode and I was blown away at how INFJ he was. Finally a main character I can relate to on an INFJ level! I'm gonna go watch some more now...

  6. #1906
    Badoom~ Array Skyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lillyofthevalley View Post
    When people ask me questions like that I can assume they know existing simple facts that most people know before giving them an answer.
    Are some people too literal?

    One time I was at a stingray encounter at Grand Cayman. It turned out that those things freaked me out and I couldn't get back to boat fast enough. The same thing happened with one of my friends in another group. Later, when all of the friends were together at dinner the two of us were laughing about it when one people (a scuba diver) in the group made this comment, "next time just remember that if everyone else is having fun doing it then you should realize there is nothing to be afraid of". My friend and I looked at each other then said WHAT????
    To the first, I can be similar, well, its more like I dont know exactly how theyre viewing the subject or what they know about it so I tend to overexplain and make myself look really dumb.

    To the second: look at all those people having fun hanging themselves by hooks in their backs. Dont forget the ones who have fun by doing drugs, too. And the extreme sports folk.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

    This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

    Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

  7. #1907
    Circus Maximus Array Sarcasticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Here’s one…

    You know you’re an INFJ when you’ve had jobs which demand an unusually high level of expertise with language and writing, among other things, and which many/most people would consider extremely difficult and challenging…but when you look at a busy waiter or waitress, their job looks more difficult than anything you have ever done! The constant rushing too and fro, remembering people’s orders (with or without writing them down), keeping track of your tables…aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!! I have so much admiration for a skilled table server!
    I know an INFJ that's actually pretty good at waitressing. Maybe she just has a higher level of Se.

  8. #1908

    Default

    If you're an INFJ, there's a high probability you're the one guy in the whole department at work with intimate knowledge of what you're working with. Odds are equally high that you sometimes find yourself working with the one guy in the whole department with zero knowledge of it.

    If your first impulse immediately upon noticing them interacting with a customer is stepping in and taking over finishing the sales pitch the "right" way.

    This may also apply if you're an INTJ, except you'd be more likely to tell the other person to piss off and let you do it.

  9. #1909
    wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,134

    Default

    You know you're infj when you have so many to-do lists floating around that you need to make a 'master list' of the sub-lists in order to prioritize them.

    And occasionally a mega-master list becomes necessary.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  10. #1910
    Senior Member Array SciVo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    924
    Posts
    244

    Default

    I tried that, Z. I mean, I have just enough INFJ tendencies that when I tried to use to-do lists, I ended up having to make master lists (and yes, a meta-master list) for them. However, it was so deathly boring that I quickly gave up on the whole idea of to-do lists. Now I just do whatever, and I'm much happier.

    Which reminds me, those old to-do lists are in one of these boxes, and I should really just toss them.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

Similar Threads

  1. You know your'e an XX when you ?
    By lkpo14 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2016, 09:02 PM
  2. [INFP] You know you're an INFP when...
    By Lotr246 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 457
    Last Post: 10-31-2015, 01:43 AM
  3. [INTP] You know you're an INTP when...
    By Martoon in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 174
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 01:14 AM
  4. [ENFP] You know you're an ENFP when...
    By phoenix13 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 08-18-2010, 12:37 AM
  5. [ENFJ] You know you're an ENFJ when...
    By Leysing in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO