• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] 14 year old ENFJ son cuts off nose to spite face

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
... and it's driving me insane!!!

[This is NOT a rant thread.}

What in the world can I do??
(I realize the solution will require long-term application.)

I'm 90% sure he's ENFJ, it's just that he's pretty observant and has a great sense of direction, so...
But otherwise, when you take in the big picture, he seems ENFJ, or even INFJ, at times.

This morning I was supposed to have him at school at 7 AM. He was supposed to wake me up at 6:15, but he overslept and woke me at 6:55. He didn't want to take the time to eat. He said he guessed he would just have to wait until lunch time (which he's always starving for, by the time it comes). So I grabbed a food bar and poured him some milk in a travel mug so he could eat in the car on the way over.

When we arrived at school, I realized he hadn't eaten, so I suggested he should bring the stuff in with him. He refused! It's like he punishes himself on purpose. He's way too rigid and I don't know how to help him!

He has always been stubborn and perfectionistic. It started when he was 2.
His biggest problem is controlling his desire to break things when he gets frustrated.
He's not "sick" enough to need medication.

Anybody had success with this?? :shock:

Enjamin

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's always very hard with family. Do you think he didn't eat because he overslept and is punishing himself or for some other reason?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
So he missed breakfast. Maybe he didn't feel like eating it. What's the big deal?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I've had success with it (being an s.o.b. kid like that).

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So he missed breakfast. Maybe he didn't feel like eating it. What's the big deal?

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe he didn't want to look lame carrying in a travel milk mug to school?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ugh, I've an ExFJ daughter who's just the same. She panicks and frets about something, then when you stand there holding out a free of charge solution for her, she seems to just want to reject it in favour of more panicking and crying. Like she's ENJOYING it or something and doesn't WANT to solve the problem... then makes the problem even worse because she won't solve it... then gets all despondent and stuff and... gahhh!!!

Actually I've been told it's a T mistake that we do sometimes, to think that when the F is upset, that they want solutions to their problems. I mean they probably do in the long run, but first off and primarily, they want empathy for their feelings. They want you to listen to how they feel and validate it, stuff like "yeah I can understand you feeling that way" or "I'd feel the same in your shoes" or "loads of people have that problem, you're not alone" and stuff like that. You've got to devote some time to neutralizing the emotional stuff before they can kick their intellect into gear to start thinking about actually solving the problem.

This is just what I've heard... I've not yet met with much success at putting it into practice...

Possibly in the case of your son, he was too focused on the panic of possibly being late and all the emotional consequences of what might happen if he's late, punishments and reactions and whatever... and in that state he wasn't able to just sorta say "oh well!" and eat his breakfast. Maybe he needed some sort of reassurance that... fuck, I dunno. I just don't know how these Fe types work :doh:

My daughter last night flew into a tizzy because she had some geography homework. All she could think about was how this stuff desperately needed to be done because the teacher was SO strict and if it was late in or of too low a standard then she'd get this punishment and that punishment and the sky would fall on her head etc etc etc., and when I was like dude, why don't you devote your energy to just doing the homework instead of panicking, then you don't need to worry at all about the consequences of not doing it? and like, dude, you don't have to worry about any of that stuff cos it's all under your control as to whether it happens or not... well, somehow, it just seemed to make her cry even more. I'm at a total loss... I don't know what I was supposed to do...

Except that I've seen a friend of mine (an INFP) sort her out when she's like this. She just sorta doesn't say anything or give any advice or anything verbally, she just gives her a hug and lets her stand there and sob for a bit or whatever, then when the moment passes she'll say "Right come on then, let's do this together" and it seems to work. I keep telling myself I ought to try that, but in the heat of the moment it's the last thing I think of doing... :doh:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's always very hard with family. Do you think he didn't eat because he overslept and is punishing himself or for some other reason?
:hi: Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe there's some other reason.
It's all connected with suffering for waking up late.
He can't make a contingency plan.
It didn't work out perfectly, so it's not going to work out at all.

Poor thing. I do that too. We're doomed!
spontaneous.gif

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
No, but I am relying on years of experience in the position.
Is there more to the story than you are letting on?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
For a lot of young people, especially F-types, feeling guilty feels worse than being hungry.
The paradox is that even though he is self-denying, the actions he's been taking are entirely selfish in nature.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
IF, I think this particular incident is just being used to illustrate the point of a pattern of behaviour where a person won't do things that are in their own interest, for inexplicable reasons.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ugh, I've an ExFJ daughter who's just the same. She panicks and frets about something, then when you stand there holding out a free of charge solution for her, she seems to just want to reject it in favour of more panicking and crying. Like she's ENJOYING it or something and doesn't WANT to solve the problem... then makes the problem even worse because she won't solve it... then gets all despondent and stuff and... gahhh!!!

Actually I've been told it's a T mistake that we do sometimes, to think that when the F is upset, that they want solutions to their problems. I mean they probably do in the long run, but first off and primarily, they want empathy for their feelings. They want you to listen to how they feel and validate it, stuff like "yeah I can understand you feeling that way" or "I'd feel the same in your shoes" or "loads of people have that problem, you're not alone" and stuff like that. You've got to devote some time to neutralizing the emotional stuff before they can kick their intellect into gear to start thinking about actually solving the problem.

This is just what I've heard... I've not yet met with much success at putting it into practice...

Possibly in the case of your son, he was too focused on the panic of possibly being late and all the emotional consequences of what might happen if he's late, punishments and reactions and whatever... and in that state he wasn't able to just sorta say "oh well!" and eat his breakfast. Maybe he needed some sort of reassurance that... fuck, I dunno. I just don't know how these Fe types work :doh:

My daughter last night flew into a tizzy because she had some geography homework. All she could think about was how this stuff desperately needed to be done because the teacher was SO strict and if it was late in or of too low a standard then she'd get this punishment and that punishment and the sky would fall on her head etc etc etc., and when I was like dude, why don't you devote your energy to just doing the homework instead of panicking, then you don't need to worry at all about the consequences of not doing it? and like, dude, you don't have to worry about any of that stuff cos it's all under your control as to whether it happens or not... well, somehow, it just seemed to make her cry even more. I'm at a total loss... I don't know what I was supposed to do...

Except that I've seen a friend of mine (an INFP) sort her out when she's like this. She just sorta doesn't say anything or give any advice or anything verbally, she just gives her a hug and lets her stand there and sob for a bit or whatever, then when the moment passes she'll say "Right come on then, let's do this together" and it seems to work. I keep telling myself I ought to try that, but in the heat of the moment it's the last thing I think of doing... :doh:
Thanks Luv. :hug: Very helpful.
It's exactly the same with my son as with your daughter.
I have an INFP sister, so I know what that looks like,
though an INTJ behaving like an INFP is not the same as an INFP being an INFP. :newwink:
What's nice is to know that I'm on the right track because I have done this before,
with the homework and such.

Poor thing started out the year wanting to be the valedictorian of his class!
He'll probably be in the Top 10 or 20 but talk about exceedingly high standards!
He has certain subjects that he hates, so I will sit with him and eagerly offer to research or whatever. I even let him think out loud while I typed what he was saying - because he is a great story-teller but has difficulty getting it from his mouth to his paper.

I will work on remembering to validate his feelings more.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
IF, I think this particular incident is just being used to illustrate the point of a pattern of behaviour where a person won't do things that are in their own interest, for inexplicable reasons.

This is why I wondered about the back story. But people routinely neglect to do things that benefit them for no real reason. On a whim, even.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No, but I am relying on years of experience in the position.
Is there more to the story than you are letting on?
Only that it keeps happening over and over again in one scenario or another to where I am worried about him.
He needs to learn to be flexible, at least a little, and to learn to accept imperfection.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes. That's right.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This is why I wondered about the back story. But people routinely neglect to do things that benefit them for no real reason. On a whim, even.
But he cuts off his nose to spite his face.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Don't fix it. Just take the mick until either they sort it out or crumble.

Basically tease them about being all independant. Point out how they are cutting off their nose, peering in the mirror and declaring "HA!!" like they won.

ENFJs sometimes need to be brought to a dead stop to get them to look at what they're doing. One tactic is the verbal punch in the nose. Basically ignore protestations and keep going at them until they do stop (as long as they are fine with you normally then you should be "allowed" to do this without repercussions... if not ... stand back :newwink: ).

My ENFJ sister once declared she would commit suicide at one real low point. After speaking to me she was declaring she'd remove my head... at which point I pointed out she seemed a lot better :devil:

My ENFJ friend went with us to Vegas and resorted to dashing off if me or t'missus lowered our voices assuming we wanted time alone. I had to argue to a standstill that if he did that without being asked then it was worse than not doing it at all. It took shouting and name calling before he stopped, realised the error and altered his course.

It's been my experience that ENFJs require as much heat as they put out sometimes. It's not for the feint of heart.

Oh and this is something that's appears to be incurrable. You can persuade them to reign it in but never stop it... a bit like trying to stop an INTJ who thinks they've got the answer.... :whistling:

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Letting people down that we respect/care about can be exceptionally painful to us. Guilt tops the list of feelings I attempt to avoid. Validating his feelings is fine but remembering not to encourage the negative behaviors you are trying to help him mature with can be a sticky situation if you lean too far to either side. If you take a second to acknowledge yes he screwed up you will be better off (at least from my pov) then trying to pamper. It's really all you have to do I think. We can tell what you are trying to do even if you deny it. Instinct may say try to make us feel better and take care of us but for myself that is the last thing I want. He really sounds par for the course and the perfectionist tendencies will probably always be there to a degree. I kind of wish I had stayed that course. I was his age or maybe younger when I looked around one day and realized everyone was selfish. I decided that if no one else would hold themselves to such a high standard why should I? All hell broke loose then for a number of years :yes:.

This could also be as simple as not wanting to look like a sissy baby with a tippy cup of milky:D.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think he might have to learn humility more than flexibility.
Humility.
That's a word we never hear any more.
Don't you know that's out of style?
This is the post-modern world we're living in!
Nobody has to be humble anymore.
[/sarcastic pity-party]

Well, that's possible, obviously, since pride is the bane of humanity,
but what makes you think so.