• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Captivating INFP statistics

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
21 Captivating INFP Statistics | BrandonGaille.com

There are a number of different personality types that people have and when you include personalities that people have in professional or uncomfortable situations, that amount rises exponentially. For those who are creative and love being original, however, the basic personality type for this idealist is the INFP.

One of the unique things about someone who has an INFP personality is that they are gifted in learning foreign languages.

Although people with these introverted personality characteristics will generally keep to themselves, it doesn’t mean that they won’t take charge if it becomes necessary. Those with an INFP personality generally become dissatisfied with a job when there is an ineffective leader in place. Although they may not wish to step in, they will in order to get the job done in the right way.
Here Are 3 Fast Facts About INFP Individuals

1. INFP individuals are one of the groups who are most likely to leave a job they are working in right now, even if it pays well, because they are constantly looking for better opportunities in the future.
2. People with this personality profile are the most likely to suffer from suicidal thoughts when circumstances do not go in a direction that has been anticipated.
3. People who have an INFP personality tend to prefer music, art, and English studies above all other subjects.

Takeaway: INFP individuals are often the first people chosen for a difficult creative task because they, above anyone else, can rise to the challenge and create something that is incredible and amazing. They work hard and take pride in their work, yet have mental challenges they create higher risks for depression or suicidal thoughts because they define themselves through the results of their creativity. If you’re looking for someone to create a foundation of future success, you’re going to want to call upon an INFP person to give you what you’re going to need.
Who is Typically An INFP Individual?

1. Male therapists are one of the largest representative demographic groups within the INFP personality profile.
2. Men who suffer from chronic pain are generally not an INFP personality.
3. INFP individuals are most likely to suffer from some level of depression that is associated with one of the 16 levels of chronic pain.
4. From a professional standpoint, INFP individuals tend to work better in a clearly defined work structure, though one with a higher level of flexibility that allows for creative involvement.
5. Women are typically INFP more often than men, with 4.6% of the population falling into this category.
6. Men who are INFP typically suffer from social phobias as their preference for a feeling of focus is not seen as something “manly.”
7. New Zealand has the largest proportion of INFP individuals as they make up 4.2% of the total population base.
8. Being a writer is one of the most common occupations for someone who fits into the INFP category.

Takeaway: In some ways, being an INFP individual can be rather difficult as people with this personality are seen as sensitive, odd, or aloof. Because their focus is on creativity, sometimes efficiency is sacrificed so that a more creative way to get something done is achieved because that seems more attractive. Although INFP individuals are often the last person to stand up for themselves when there’s a negative situation, they are the most likely to protect themselves when negative emotions are involved. INFPs tend to hide their feelings the most often, which also leads to eventual emotional implosion issues when negativity is often present.
What Kind of Risks Do INFP Individuals Face?

1. INFPs as a group have the second lowest occurrence of high blood pressure and heart disease out of all the personality types.
2. Children who fit into the INFP category have a higher risk of having their behaviors diagnosed as being ADD because of their penchant to daydream in order to find creative solutions to problems.
3. College students who have an INFP personality are one of the most likely groups to violate the school’s alcohol policy.
4. INFPs have a higher risk of being taken advantage of at work or in other activities that have a focus on individual achievement because having recognition for achievements is considered low on their list of priorities.
5. Most INFP pastimes include some form of a solitary component, which can lead to a higher risk of social isolation.
6. Bullying is at an increased risk for INFPs because appearance is about being unique and individualistic instead of conforming to social trends.
7. Most INFPs try to be as comfortable and casual as possible while following a basic, minimalistic structure. Without structure, there is a higher than normal risk for an INFP to become dissatisfied and quit whatever it is they are doing.

Takeaway: INFP individuals have a lot of quality strengths that just can’t be found in other personality types. With strengths in expressive creativity, many of the things we take for granted today were likely developed thanks to the minds of INFPs. From website content to some of the classic books in literature to great pieces of art, the “dreaminess” that seems to be associated with INFPs is often misinterpreted as a lack of paying attention or a lack of actual perception. In reality, the INFP person isn’t absent-minded. They’re instead gathering the details they need to make a dramatic impact with their next creative idea!
It Isn’t Always Fun to be an INFP

1. INFPs tend to be a bit more clumsy than other individuals because of racing thoughts, which can mean a lot of stubbed toes.
2. INFPS tend to support causes with visual representations, which can create confrontation in a polarized society.
3. Unhappiness is a common feeling within the INFP that is internalized and not expressed in a coping manner.

Takeaway: It has been said that one can tell an INFP is unhappy because they prefer to wear black on those days. Whether that is true or not likely depends on the individual, but there is one thing that is for certain. Good ideas do come to an INFP constantly, but so do the corners of a table or chair when walking barefoot.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I just read it recently. I thought I'd share in case anyone else missed this.

Veganisiniz

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did not realise that there was an association between being INFP and racing thoughts. Interesting since I have racing thoughts pretty frequently.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The references to needing structure surprises me. I realize that Si-Te are the lower pairs of functions which are the strongest for ISTJ who value structure, so I guess a case can be made for it, but it still surprises me in actuality. I've found INFPs at odds with external structure. Maybe I don't understand what they mean. Is it the inferior Te they are referring to for needing structure? I have seen INFPs debate using theoretical structure, but that's all I'm aware of happening. How do INFPs here relate to those comments?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The references to needing structure surprises me. I realize that Si-Te are the lower pairs of functions which are the strongest for ISTJ who value structure, so I guess a case can be made for it, but it still surprises me in actuality. I've found INFPs at odds with external structure. Maybe I don't understand what they mean. Is it the inferior Te they are referring to for needing structure? I have seen INFPs debate using theoretical structure, but that's all I'm aware of happening. How do INFPs here relate to those comments?

It's external motivators to create closure. It's not necessarily structure like specific procedures, strict timelines, rules, etc. That is :sick: to me. This is key: "a higher level of flexibility that allows for creative involvement" . There needs to be impetus and limitations (to reduce the options so there can be focus). To think outside the box, you gotta have a box. To push boundaries, you need to have boundaries set. I think I read somewhere that Ne is motivated by obstacles, looking for loopholes, workarounds, novel solutions, etc. I would say that is true of me, and I experience it almost as a way to challenge the structure - like, where are the cracks in this? I think NTPs are also noted to be likely to violate college alcohol policies.... coincidence?

I wouldn't say I become dissatisfied and quit without any structure, because I don't have much conscious desire for it to the point I am terrible at creating it for myself. It's more like chaos and disorder takes over and I get overwhelmed, unable to focus and start or finish stuff. For instance, when not given an obligation to be somewhere at a certain time, I don't keep a regular sleep schedule, I may eat odd things, drink too much, lose track of days, etc.

I get distracted easily from my goals as reality sort of drifts away. I get sucked into a fantasy world, which I keep prioritizing over tasks. I become depressed because I don't realize my self-imposed isolation is a problem emotionally for me. So now I begrudgingly admit the human need for some structure :D .

Another survey showed INFPs put autonomy as one of their top values, along with creativity. So I think loose structure needs to be understood as a tool to help meet those values.

I don't feel like this represents my biggest challenges in life, honestly. People don't write me off as a dreamy, incompetent loser like so many INFP profiles suggest. I get more criticism for seeming prickly and being disorganized and hard to read emotionally. People respect my intelligence, talents, personal style, accomplishments and emotional resilience. Never have had those belittled.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The whole post rather bothers me because it's presenting generic information as fact and stats. Where are the supporting references? Am I missing them? I don't see them on the web page.

And some of this is e4 stuff and some is e9 stuff, not INFP stuff -- emotional patterns not thinking ones.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Honestly, I think INFP might be the most mistyped type for this reason. INFP is a thinking pattern, not an emotional one. There's this continual conceptual conflation that I find difficult to dispel. INFP is not about how you feel. I'm starting to see the concept of type as sand through fingers because self-reporting makes a thing that isn't a thing if your self-reporting is only self-fulfilling.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, I think INFP might be the most mistyped type for this reason. INFP is a thinking pattern, not an emotional one. There's this continual conceptual conflation that I find difficult to dispel. INFP is not about how you feel. I'm starting to see the concept of type as sand through fingers because self-reporting makes a thing that isn't a thing if your self-reporting is only self-fulfilling.
In the list at the top I was also wondering if some of it relates to ISFPs, and a few things on the list seemed plausibly associated with other types altogether. It was stuff like low blood pressure or disobeying rules about drinking that could apply to SFPs as much or more than NFPs. I'm not stating that as a certainty, but it did cross my mind. Or maybe health issues don't correlate with type at all?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The whole post rather bothers me because it's presenting generic information as fact and stats. Where are the supporting references? Am I missing them? I don't see them on the web page.

And some of this is e4 stuff and some is e9 stuff, not INFP stuff -- emotional patterns not thinking ones.

But where are your journal articles? It sounds like you're just making stuff up. :harhar: Just kidding. I know what you mean. I looked for the references too and didn't see them. I still thought it was worth posting.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the list at the top I was also wondering if some of it relates to ISFPs, and a few things on the list seemed plausibly associated with other types altogether. It was stuff like low blood pressure or disobeying rules about drinking that could apply to SFPs as much or more than NFPs. I'm not stating that as a certainty, but it did cross my mind. Or maybe health issues don't correlate with type at all?

I don't go out of my way to break rules. Don't drink either. My ISFP buddy, on the other hand, she does drink a lot, but she never brought alcohol into dorm rooms either...Maybe this is a the-guy-who-stole-my-bike-was-infp type of things

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I did not realise that there was an association between being INFP and racing thoughts. Interesting since I have racing thoughts pretty frequently.

"Racing" sounds so orderly. My thoughts are like flies buzzing around an elephant carcass.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't go out of my way to break rules. Don't drink either. My ISFP buddy, on the other hand, she does drink a lot, but she never brought alcohol into dorm rooms either...Maybe this is a the-guy-who-stole-my-bike-was-infp type of things
And I also don't mean to dump the overly-drinking college student stereotype onto the ISFP because that may not be entirely fair either, but being drunk and out at a party is a concrete, sensory indulgence. It isn't abstract or imaginative, so it was the first place my mind went when INFPs were actually being defined that way. One could probably broaden that stereotype to all SPs since Se does enjoy sensory indulgence in the moment of any type.

iNtuitives also break rules and I'm sure some are the external concrete ones, but I could see the INFP rebelling against what the professor believes and declares as truth if it is actually subjective and at odds with the Fi-doms values. My sister used to get rather exasperated at professors who did that - pass off their own personal agenda as objective truth and pressure all the students to comply. That is a big part of graduate school - to schmooze along with whatever the professor's intellectual whims are. Some of those are created in the ivory tower and are morally exasperating.

Starry

I totally hear you loud and clear and agree wholeheartedly.

Still, that "Men who suffer from chronic pain are generally not INFP" caught my attention and not just because it was near the top and read by me prior to starting to get distracted by other things.

While I haven't read anything professional on the topic...everywhere I go on here and irl...I can't help but notice there seems to be a strong correlation between ExFPs and chronic pain and to be sure they have now scientifically correlated Attention Deficit Disorders and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome <-which pain is a large part of. For the link between ADD/ADhD and CFS they theorize that "mental burnout" is the cause...like the individual has to work so much harder to maintain a semblance of organization and focus to hold a job and live an adult life...but in my unprofessional but totally awesome opinion I absolutely believe the chronic pain/fatigue is merely unprocessed emotional pain.

I sometimes get the sense people imagine Pe dominants as consciously choosing to avoid emotional pain when I know from personal experience that it can take many years to see this pattern in ourselves due to being subject to the very nature of dominant Pe. <-That unprocessed emotional pain builds up and starts to manifest on the physical level.

I recognize that INFP is a thinking pattern...but it makes sense to me this negative correlation with...at least men and chronic pain. You all don't seem to avoid your emotions...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The whole post rather bothers me because it's presenting generic information as fact and stats. Where are the supporting references? Am I missing them? I don't see them on the web page. And some of this is e4 stuff and some is e9 stuff, not INFP stuff -- emotional patterns not thinking ones.
It's stuff like this that gives credence to the "official" mbti community postions about the low quality of information on the Internet.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The crybaby, weakling who gets bullied is the picture I don't relate to.

And I also don't mean to dump the overly-drinking college student stereotype onto the ISFP because that may not be entirely fair either, but being drunk and out at a party is a concrete, sensory indulgence. It isn't abstract or imaginative, so it was the first place my mind went when INFPs were actually being defined that way. One could probably broaden that stereotype to all SPs since Se does enjoy sensory indulgence in the moment of any type.

iNtuitives also break rules and I'm sure some are the external concrete ones, but I could see the INFP rebelling against what the professor believes and declares as truth if it is actually subjective and at odds with the Fi-doms values. My sister used to get rather exasperated at professors who did that - pass off their own personal agenda as objective truth and pressure all the students to comply. That is a big part of graduate school - to schmooze along with whatever the professor's intellectual whims are. Some of those are created in the ivory tower and are morally exasperating.

Yes, that would annoy me more.

But I admit to an impish side where I may break little rules just to do it. It would be a mental strategy of figuring out how. If I got caught, then maybe I could argue my way out of it. For example I used to try and break into empty buildings/houses. Or in HS I'd break into the janitor's closet, which had an escape to the roof, and then I'd sit on the roof alone.

I've never been a rebel or partier, but neither do I automatically adhere to all rules, and I may bend them as long as fundamental morals and principles aren't violated. Some of it is because some rules seem arbitrary to me and some of it is the mental challenge of working around them.

I never consider rules anywhere, really. My own code usually is higher anyway.

You all don't seem to avoid your emotions...

I always thought that little piece of data had to do with good awareness and management of emotions too.

I was reading about neuroscience stuff (this is my clunky, layman's take on it), and there is a part of the brain that processes emotion in a non-verbal, more physical way, and then a part of the brain that is more verbal and organizing. When people have strong pathways between these, they basically have built a mental habit of identifying and putting their emotions into words. They are rationally ordering emotional content.

To me, that is what healthy Fi is. It's the rational ordering of spontaneous, internally experienced content.

Starry

I always thought that little piece of data had to do with good awareness and management of emotions too.

I was reading about neuroscience stuff (this is my clunky, layman's take on it), and there is a part of the brain that processs emotion in a non-verbal, more physical way, and then a part of the brain that is more verbal and organizing. When people have strong pathways between these, they basically have built a mental habit of identifying and putting their emotions into words. They are rationally ordering emotional content.

To me, that is what healthy Fi is. It's the rational ordering of spontaneous, internally experienced content.

Okay, perfect...this is exactly what I was looking for. Although, I'm not sure how you knew that...but whatever.
I'm still in awe of what Peacebaby said once that I can't remember. ha.

Something like..."people that can't do *this* with their emotions can't do *that*". <-This is not working out well because I can't actively recall what it was...but I believe she will. Possibly something about indecision...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I totally hear you loud and clear and agree wholeheartedly.

Still, that "Men who suffer from chronic pain are generally not INFP" caught my attention and not just because it was near the top and read by me prior to starting to get distracted by other things.

While I haven't read anything professional on the topic...everywhere I go on here and irl...I can't help but notice there seems to be a strong correlation between ExFPs and chronic pain and to be sure they have now scientifically correlated Attention Deficit Disorders and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome <-which pain is a large part of. For the link between ADD/ADhD and CFS they theorize that "mental burnout" is the cause...like the individual has to work so much harder to maintain a semblance of organization and focus to hold a job and live an adult life...but in my unprofessional but totally awesome opinion I absolutely believe the chronic pain/fatigue is merely unprocessed emotional pain.

I sometimes get the sense people imagine Pe dominants as consciously choosing to avoid emotional pain when I know from personal experience that it can take many years to see this pattern in ourselves due to being subject to the very nature of dominant Pe. <-That unprocessed emotional pain builds up and starts to manifest on the physical level.

I recognize that INFP is a thinking pattern...but it makes sense to me this negative correlation with...at least men and chronic pain. You all don't seem to avoid your emotions...

Thanks for your thoughts, good things to think about and good conversation.

@bold 1: I like how you said that. I don't think Je types have an appreciation for the kind of energy that's required for this from Pe dom and aux types. I mean, what ISN'T Je-driven in our world? The whole structure of our external lives are about ordering things that are not inherently ordered. Structure, structure, structure ... 7 days to a week, this is the day you go to church, this is the time you start work, this is when you eat lunch, this is what you eat for lunch, this is what a pizza is ... etc the list goes on ad infinitum. I do intellectually understand the benefits of such coordination, but it's kind of like a continual spitting in the eye of Pe. It's the halter on a horse's energetic spirit. There's this need to control instead of valuing what IS.

To the processing of emotion, an interesting contemplation - it wouldn't surprise me about chronic pain since I do think Pe dominance is an incredibly powerful filter over the rest of the functions, as powerful as Je but not granted the same kind of social credence -- thus this creates another kind of pain that needs to be worked through. It's ... like a Pe person has to come into their own and feel like they have just as legitimate place at the table as anyone else. That's been a big theme for me personally.

An aside:

Additionally, I always find it kind of funny / odd that we socially embrace the kind of orderliness that Je is associated with but we're not as .. accepting somehow of the spontaneous adaptability of Pe. So few elements of this world we live in today are encouraging towards the ExxP processing style. It starts so young, I mean since the whole education system is basically founded on Je styles of thinking that it's normal I suppose for us to desire being Je in an aspirational way, to see it in a "better" way, that it IS the better way. It's as though Pe is allowed WHEN it fits into Je. And when you (Pe type) operate from Ji, it's seen as Je and this confusion means Ji auxs aren't granted enough time to work through to the Ji space, because Ji is so very slow. Everything is cut short.

So, easier to see something shiny instead. Pe learns what fits. This can slow down the process of cognitive growth too, imo. This post is a bit meandering, but I wanted to get the thoughts out.

I like that very much. Resonates.

Okay, perfect...this is exactly what I was looking for. Although, I'm not sure how you knew that...but whatever.
I'm still in awe of what Peacebaby said once that I can't remember. ha.

Something like..."people that can't do *this* with their emotions can't do *that*". <-This is not working out well because I can't actively recall what it was...but I believe she will. Possibly something about indecision...

Well, it's not ringing a bell but it might at some point. :laugh:

If it wasn't for this website all these wonderful thoughts would have never experienced the light of day! Ji for the win!