User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

In all honesty, after seeing so much, you kind of get to the point where if it doesn't directly effect you, you try not to think about it, that doesn't mean you don't, you just put it in the back of your mind as you go about your daily affairs.

Desensitization, is it a coping mechanism?

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SillyGoose View Post
    Yes, I had to learn to create some barriers within myself with help of family and friends. When I was younger I couldn't understand why some people would tell me not to help (their way of trying to help me help myself) when I couldn't fathom WHY!!! There's people suffering, kids need help...I HAVE to do something...and then fretting and worrying because I feel like I can't.
    I do the fretting! I actually had to train myself to say, " I'm not going to worry about this now" because I would sit up all night pouring over a problem. I couldn't stand the torture of knowing that someone else was suffering if I could prevent it somehow. Or at least having long discussions with God about something I'd seen that disturbed me, children starving, or people being abused. I couldn't process it alone sometimes.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Members Only View Post
    How so?

To be honest, I found Katrina slightly more disconcerting than 9/11.

Whilst 9/11 did have an element of "Shock and Awe", it did not produce a fundamental, prolonged, break down in society.
    I found Katrina to be way more disturbing than 9/11. 9/11 was a terrorist attack. Katrina was our nation failing its own people.

What I found disconcerting about Katrina, was that it demonstrated how thin the line is, between civilization, and 'rule of the jungle'. Seeing the fabric of a civilized Western city tear so easily, and turn into a fairly Darwinian situation was very strange to observe. It just served to show how quickly what we all take for granted can unravel.
    I don't believe Katrina had to go down the way it did at all. I don't think it was a sign of the thin wall of civilzation falling at the moment the levies broke , I think it was a sign of what happens when warnings go unheeded and action is not taken. Nothing had to unravel as it did in Katrina and that's the real horror and crime of it.

Further disturbing was the willingness for the other people in this nation to not question deeper why warnings went unheeded and why action was delayed. I don't know how much racism and classism played into that but it sickens me to think about it.

I certainly will be looking forward to the personal stories that begin to leak out of New Orleans as time passes and proper historical perspective can be gained on what exactly happened there. All we can know now is the media spin. But there is a definate trail that points to years of denial that led up to the weakening of the levies.

MBTI
    EXXP

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I do the fretting! I actually had to train myself to say, " I'm not going to worry about this now" because I would sit up all night pouring over a problem. I couldn't stand the torture of knowing that someone else was suffering if I could prevent it somehow. Or at least having long discussions with God about something I'd seen that disturbed me, children starving, or people being abused. I couldn't process it alone sometimes.
    Oh my gosh, I know. It would help immensely (sp?) just by talking about it to someone.

"My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

heart on fire

Honestly, I usually just get more disturbed talking with others. So many people I know vacilate between being totally overemotional to being numbed out. There's no middle rational ground where they will talk about things so far as looking at root causes or anything.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SillyGoose View Post
    Oh my gosh, I know. It would help immensely (sp?) just by talking about it to someone.

LOL. Looks like we fell off the same tree.

When I was younger, I used to go and wake my mother up, and pour it all out to her, even if I felt ridiculous about it. Once, when Pink and I were driving home, we were coming up the boulevard, and this guy who clearly had muscular dystrophy was crossing the street - I looked into the rear view mirror to check and make sure he made it across the street, and I saw him FALL into the curb trying to get onto the other side. I flipped out, because he was in danger of being hit by an oncoming car. Pink was trying to slow the car down, find a place to pull over, but we couldn't because we were on a four lane street - I looked back and saw that he had gotten back up onto the curb and had continued on okay, but the image of him wallowing around in the road like a baby deer was too much. We got home, and I sat out on the porch until my mother got home, when all the tears I'd been holding in came flooding out.

Lol. I have to laugh at myself sometimes, at how much things bother me. But, I can't control the instinct - people's well being really matters to me, on a core level. It's automatic.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I found Katrina to be way more disturbing than 9/11. 9/11 was a terrorist attack. Katrina was our nation failing its own people.
    9/11 was/could also be a case of the Government failing the people. And that can be taken in many directions.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I don't believe Katrina had to go down the way it did at all. I don't think it was a sign of the thin wall of civilzation falling at the moment the levies broke , I think it was a sign of what happens when warnings go unheeded and action is not taken. Nothing had to unravel as it did in Katrina and that's the real horror and crime of it.

Further disturbing was the willingness for the other people in this nation to not question deeper why warnings went unheeded and why action was delayed. I don't know how much racism and classism played into that but it sickens me to think about it.

I certainly will be looking forward to the personal stories that begin to leak out of New Orleans as time passes and proper historical perspective can be gained on what exactly happened there. All we can know now is the media spin. But there is a definate trail that points to years of denial that led up to the weakening of the levies.
    Very true, all though the Goverment reaction was less disconcerting to me because, and it's a sad state of affairs when prior evidence leads me to this kind of thinking... I expected it. I expected the Goverments reactions to be at best inept, at worse criminal.

The US Government in its current state, is corrupt, bloated, diseased, and a poison to the nation. The same goes for the Government of the UK.

A Government serves its people, not the other way around. This got switched somewhere along the way, and most people accept it.
    It's just a ride

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Lol. I have to laugh at myself sometimes, at how much things bother me. But, I can't control the instinct - people's well being really matters to me, on a core level. It's automatic.
    That's the beauty of humanity though, isn't it?

MBTI
    EXXP

Ooooo yeah, I have similar stories as well.

A few years ago I saw a guy in a wheelchair hit by a van, (at a really low speed, but still) it knocked his chair over and he was knocked out for a few minutes. I stayed with him until an ambulance came but they wouldn't let me come with him. I kept calling the hospital from work and they wouldn't give me any info at all whatsoever.

I couldn't stop thinking about him, still haven't in fact. My co-workers were so nice (and I wasn't a walking emotional wreck you t's hahaha) and supportive, it was helpful just being able to get it out.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Members Only View Post
    9/11 was/could also be a case of the Government failing the people. And that can be taken in many directions.
    The most distrubing thing about Katrina was the nation's reactions to the failures. I think people got very worked up/concerned about 9/11 but not so much about Katrina. I saw/heard more contempt for those left behind and abandoned than I saw/heard concern.

Very true, all though the Goverment reaction was less disconcerting to me because, and it's a sad state of affairs when prior evidence leads me to this kind of thinking... I expected it. I expected the Goverments reactions to be at best inept, at worse criminal.

The US Government in its current state, is corrupt, bloated, diseased, and a poison to the nation. The same goes for the Government of the UK.

A Government serves its people, not the other way around. This got switched somewhere along the way, and most people accept it.
    Yes, I should have seen it this way, but for some reason it just hit me very hard that the nation basically stood by twiddling thumbs as if we'd never faced a natural disaster before.