User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

cascademn: I feel similarly disgusted by a lot of it, though it doesn't usually have a great effect on my emotional state.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    cascademn: I feel similarly disgusted by a lot of it, though it doesn't usually have a great effect on my emotional state.
    Yeah, I edited my original post a bit at the end to kinda cover this...

I'm not nearly as affected as I used to be, but yeah, part of it is a balancing act, as I do avoid certain news avenues (erm, that would be pretty much all tv news) that I know will just irritate the crap out of me.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ

I think that if you know someone is a feeler, something that he/she may say that is open to interpretation ends up being perceived to the extremes. I wasn't pissed off when I made my original post, even if its bluntness made it seem like that. I guess that when people see the 'INFJ' next to my name, every little sarcastic statement I make starts to stick out more, even if I was only fooling around when I made them. I just want to make it clear that I never wanted to look pissed off.

I don't have any problems with the question and I think its perfectly valid and rational. Personally, I'm not that effected by things I hear on the news, and I consider that a bad thing. Whenever I hear about rapes and murders etc., I try to feel sad about it, but I just can't bring myself to empathize, and that worries me. It makes me feel like an emotionless, selfish prick who's oblivious to everyone else's problems. I guess that part of it has to do with the post-traumatic stress disorder that I've been going through, which has kept me pretty numb to emotion over the past few years, but... I just don't know. I wish that I could start worrying about other people, but it's hard for me to do that. Maybe I'm just selfish.

MBTI
    EXXP

I identify with what you stated partially, Jack Flack.

It bothers me to hear about kids without homes, rapes, murders and whatnot. But it has motivated me to do something about it. I'm in the process of filming a documentary and have plans to adopt within the next few years.

It doesn't totally wreck my world, but it does cause me to ponder about what is important in life to me and how I can help others.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I personally appreciate the replies, as I seem to have a better understanding already. I hope it benefits others as well. Thanks.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SillyGoose View Post
    I identify with what you stated partially, Jack Flack.

It bothers me to hear about kids without homes, rapes, murders and whatnot. But it has motivated me to do something about it. I'm in the process of filming a documentary and have plans to adopt within the next few years.

It doesn't totally wreck my world, but it does cause me to ponder about what is important in life to me and how I can help others.
    This is how I feel about it too. Mostly, I find the constant stories about need/poverty/violence/corruption/disease draining because it never fails to trip my instinct to aid the victims. Sometimes my family and friends have to shield me a little from myself, because I can't stop myself from feeling jacked into humanity, even when I should step back from it some.

MBTI
    INFP

It bothers me enough to try and attain a position in life where I can enact positive change.

However, when I say it "bothers me enough", by this I do not mean I cry every time I hear about the things that are wrong with the world. I just assume that at the moment, as I am incapable of enacting change in this current stage of my life, it would be completely illogical for me to form negative emotions around events that are outside my sphere of influence.

Therefore, I do not let events outside of my influence create negative emotions within me. I persuade them to create a positive spark within me, so eventually I can attain a position where I will be able to assert some kind of influence on negative circumstances. Creating negative emotions within myself, will only serve to inhibit me from reaching this goal.
    It's just a ride

heart on fire

Katrina was particularly hard to process.

MBTI
    EXXP

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    This is how I feel about it too. Mostly, I find the constant stories about need/poverty/violence/corruption/disease draining because it never fails to trip my instinct to aid the victims. Sometimes my family and friends have to shield me a little from myself, because I can't stop myself from feeling jacked into humanity, even when I should step back from it some.
    Yes, I had to learn to create some barriers within myself with help of family and friends. When I was younger I couldn't understand why some people would tell me not to help (their way of trying to help me help myself) when I couldn't fathom WHY!!! There's people suffering, kids need help...I HAVE to do something...and then fretting and worrying because I feel like I can't.

Getting older and gaining some maturity (hahaha) and having more resources to actually do something about just a few things has helped me overall and the whole wickedness of the world doesn't effect me nearly as much as it once did.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Katrina was particularly hard to process.
    How so?

To be honest, I found Katrina slightly more disconcerting than 9/11.

Whilst 9/11 did have an element of "Shock and Awe", it did not produce a fundamental, prolonged, break down in society.

What I found disconcerting about Katrina, was that it demonstrated how thin the line is, between civilization, and 'rule of the jungle'. Seeing the fabric of a civilized Western city tear so easily, and turn into a fairly Darwinian situation was very strange to observe. It just served to show how quickly what we all take for granted can unravel.
    It's just a ride