User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 64

  1. #21
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Exactly. Before the information age, news was filtered a great deal more, to a greater degree the farther we go back in time.
    People lived in far worse conditions with a lot more death in the past, if anything modern people become more sanitized, more seperated from such things. It's true that media distorts what happens in the real world. That's something television in particular had brought to the modern world, even tone of voice is used to put a specific slant on stories that we're given to make us react in different ways to news.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Hmm. Well, on one hand, I hate that I hear about a rape/murder/severe car crash/abduction on the news every single day. I'm aware it happens, I just don't like being reminded of it so often. On the other hand, I like that I can hear about what's going on around the world, even if it is bad news. It keeps me driven to keep going and doing what I'm doing because I'm sure what I want to do (tell stories) will in some way, down the line, help someone who is having trouble--not that that is my primary goal, just seems like a happy incident. I suppose it also gives me a bit of perspective. No matter how bad my life might seem at the moment, someone else's life is just as bad if not worse, so I should probably get over whatever the issue is.
    This is nice to hear from more than one person, because the good side of the issue hadn't occured to me.

  3. #23
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    I don't find it hard to shut it off. But I rarely consider the people they show on tv to even exist. It's like they are on a different dimension or something. Only people that exist are the people I have some contact with.

  4. #24
    violaine
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Exactly. Before the information age, news was filtered a great deal more, to a greater degree the farther we go back in time.
    In that case, yes, I definitely used to have an issue with this. (gad I wish I could explain it without getting flowery or martyr-y sounding). Anyway, I used to feel like coming across awful tragedies was something thrust upon me and it felt wrong to me as a fellow human being to turn away from someone else's suffering. The least I could do was inform myself properly about such things. Not in a voyeuristic way. I couldn't stand being shielded and wanted to know precisely the reasons why bad things occurred. I was always interested in the 'darker' workings of things, trying to comprehend how and why such things occurred.

    It was always done privately though. I wouldn't sit around talking about it, just observing and absorbing. I have a much better ability to filter things now.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    People lived in far worse conditions with a lot more death in the past, if anything modern people become more sanitized, more seperated from such things. It's true that media distorts what happens in the real world. That's something television in particular had brought to the modern world, even tone of voice is used to put a specific slant on stories that we're given to make us react in different ways to news.
    What about the changes in the last twenty years or so? The amount of information available to the average Westerner has certainly increased exponentially.

  6. #26
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    What about the changes in the last twenty years or so? The amount of information available to the average Westerner has certainly increased exponentially.
    It's all so relative though. In the past people lived so differently than we do, might have burried several family members by mid-twenties, including some of their own children, having borne them at home and nursed them as they lay dying all on their own. So they lived with death much more initmately than we do. Life was far more raw and real to them.

    What we deal with now is the manipulation and concentration of information and that creates distortion. It isn't so much the amount but how it is presented to us that creates the anxiety that people suffer.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It's all so relative though. In the past people lived so differently than we do, might have burried several family members by mid-twenties, including some of their own children, having borne them at home and nursed them as they lay dying all on their own. So they lived with death much more initmately than we do. Life was far more raw and real to them.
    I understand. I suppose it's only conjecture comparing our modern emotions with theirs.

    What we deal with now is the manipulation and concentration of information and that creates distortion. It isn't so much the amount but how it is presented to us that creates the anxiety that people suffer.
    If I take your meaning, it's deception which gets to you more than the news itself?

  8. #28
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I see it jerking the emotions of the people around me and it's really bothersome. Anyone who wants to won their own mind and thoughts (or at least work towards trying to own their own mind and thoughts) should read about TV and alpha states and how this can open up the primative parts of the brain and by-pass the higher parts. Also how tone and color and symbolism can communicate with these lower parts. News on TV seems to be so much about producing anxiety and a need to report in everyday to be told how to feel and what to think about issues.

  9. #29
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It doesn't seem NFs are built for an environment in which news of the wicked can reach them from anywhere on the globe without hindrance.
    I think this applies to me. Five years ago, after I was becoming too pessimestic/worked up, I ceased to read the news or watch the news. And actually that lasted until maybe a year ago; I was just much more at peace being ignorant.

    Now I've started making it a point to keep up with world news, and am able to absorb it (for the most part) in more of a detached way, and I like being more informed.

    In general though I kinda have a problem with the speed/ease at which news is available. I think much of it is too slanted/biased, and especially with local news, down to the minutia of tabulating daily murders/atrocities, I fail to see the 'point', if you will, of broadcasting that to all. I just don't think anything positive can really come of it. Could instead increase paranoia in the masses, or whatever. Or take the financial market the past few weeks...what impact does minute-to-minute stock snapshots have, compared to if it was only a 24hr snapshot, etc...other topics too. But, that's another discussion.

    I don't think I'm to the point as a few others on here where I feel the knowledge empowers me and I feel like I can do something with it to enact change - because frankly, I don't think I can, with most things that I actually care about. I think nearly everything is out of my control, which can upset me. But yeah, the one positive thing the knowledge does is that it makes me realize how I am one of the elite few in the world who is as privileged as I am (and with that can sometimes come guilt..which, meh, isn't great either) - so yeah, it most definitely puts things in perspective.

    And without a doubt, to echo what others have already said - I also know that I am totally empowered to be a positive influence (or whatever) with those around me...so that's good. So really, I'm not all doom and gloom about this topic, just trying to be honest too!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  10. #30
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I see it jerking the emotions of the people around me and it's really bothersome. Anyone who wants to won their own mind and thoughts (or at least work towards trying to own their own mind and thoughts) should read about TV and alpha states and how this can open up the primative parts of the brain and by-pass the higher parts. Also how tone and color and symbolism can communicate with these lower parts. News on TV seems to be so much about producing anxiety and a need to report in everyday to be told how to feel and what to think about issues.
    I don't think they manipulate the color tones to make you feel something. Not in the news at least. In the commercials, most definitely, but news.. nah... At least around here they are too busy making the news, it would be too big a bother to try giving it some hidden meaning.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] NFs: Describe the person who you most admire and look-up to
    By Cenomite in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 10:17 AM
  2. [NF] NF and the Green Eyed Monster--JeaLousy!
    By Santosha in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
  3. [NF] NF and the after effects of sex
    By EnflamedHeartofSand in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
  4. Globalization, general and the French
    By Antimony in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
  5. [NF] NFs and the effect of music
    By milti girl in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO