• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Fluctuating Affection Levels?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Here's a bit of a problem I am having. Well, not really having, because this is a continuous thing. I'm hoping to seek some sort of insight on this as an ENFP.

When I am with people I don't know, it is easy to be 'affectionate'. I can compliment them, hug them, and jokingly flirt. I am socially dominant in every way I can think of. I'm light in conversation, even when discussing something serious and deep. I am fluent with speaking, even at the high speed I talk. I'm carefree and disregard anyone else's pretenses to move forward. But when I am in a more sincere environment, I often clam up. When in relationships, I am stiff and formal. I can barely tolerate a partner touching me unless I am 100% "in charge" of the interaction. Something about the closeness makes me feel threatened. I'm really open about stuff online because I don't see people in deeper environments, but I could never admit or share half the things I do here in a small room. I could do it in front of a crowd, but a one-on-one confession makes me nervous.

Is this a common thing for ENFPs? I feel like this is a cartoonish contrast to my belief systems. I'm a person who could say the lewdest things as loud as possible with a grin, but I can't seem to handle more than holding hands in private before getting overtly embarrassed.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think they're fairly good about reading the room, so to speak. My two ENFP friends do ask, once in awhile, if they breached an inappropriateness level and it's usually answered with a no. I don't know about the SO and touching though. They don't seem to be that way with their spouses.

Maybe the interaction issue you're feeling is an authenticity thing. You want to be 100% in charge because you don't want anything inauthentic coming at you from a partner.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My guess is that with a group or people you dont know there is an external boundary that can be relied on, when close and personal that boundry doesnt exist.

Reminds me of ESFP friend. Maybe its related to inferior Pi. My ENFP GF doesnt seem to have this issue.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's a bit of a problem I am having. Well, not really having, because this is a continuous thing. I'm hoping to seek some sort of insight on this as an ENFP.

When I am with people I don't know, it is easy to be 'affectionate'. I can compliment them, hug them, and jokingly flirt. I am socially dominant in every way I can think of. I'm light in conversation, even when discussing something serious and deep. I am fluent with speaking, even at the high speed I talk. I'm carefree and disregard anyone else's pretenses to move forward. But when I am in a more sincere environment, I often clam up. When in relationships, I am stiff and formal. I can barely tolerate a partner touching me unless I am 100% "in charge" of the interaction. Something about the closeness makes me feel threatened. I'm really open about stuff online because I don't see people in deeper environments, but I could never admit or share half the things I do here in a small room. I could do it in front of a crowd, but a one-on-one confession makes me nervous.

Is this a common thing for ENFPs? I feel like this is a cartoonish contrast to my belief systems. I'm a person who could say the lewdest things as loud as possible with a grin, but I can't seem to handle more than holding hands in private before getting overtly embarrassed.

I found this on tumblr and it sounded pretty good, especially comparing it to ENFPs i know.

Inferior Si

Ne-doms can use Si consciously for tasks that require categorizing sensory or physical details. For instance, when practicing a skill, one needs to learn methodically and remember mistakes in detail in order to improve one’s performance over time. However, since Si is the opposing force to Ne, Ne is very prone to overriding and repressing Si and misunderstanding its fundamental nature. While Ne-doms can use Si in very simplistic ways, they cannot fathom using Si as a “main approach to life” like a dominant function, and therein lies the main source of psychological conflict.

Ne focuses on intuiting patterns in the external world in order to discover new ideas or possibilities, with an eye towards taking advantage of any good opportunity that presents itself and making continuous progress. When Ne-doms rely too heavily upon Ne, they will identify with Ne’s activities, using their creative openness to construct the foundation of their identity. Because of this, Ne will feel continually threatened by the Si perspective because Si has the potential to disrupt or shatter one’s ego-image. Si is focused on methodically collecting and sorting personally relevant facts/details in order to feel grounded in one’s own framework of prior knowledge. But Ne tends to misinterpret Si as being boring, overcautious, repetitive, or even stagnant and pointless. Ultimately, Ne forcefully rejects the Si perspective because it fears that getting bogged down in tiny details is wasting precious time that could otherwise be used for pursuing new possibilities or continual progress and, if one does not have trust in future potential, then one has nothing to look forward to in life, as though one’s sense of hopefulness is slowly draining away. Therefore, unhealthy or immature Ne-doms do their utmost to reject Si in order to protect their ego-image as an “optimistic, open, and forward thinking” person.

However, when Ne-doms rely too heavily upon Ne and suppress Si, they will develop an overly unrealistic and confused view of the world. Instead of using Si appropriately, Ne will use Si to collect “factual” evidence to confirm its own intuitions, premonitions, or ideas. In other words, Ne will develop a maladaptive tendency to misinterpret situations, misjudging the value of the possibilities they see and then entertaining paths that are impractical or unrealistic in expectations, thereby increasing the chances of failure. When Ne is not functioning in a healthy manner, Ne-doms will be more prone to: overlooking important details, making careless errors, failing to learn from past mistakes (and then repeating them), having poor focus, neglecting physical health, continually arriving at dead ends or abandoning ideas midstream. This will lead to a buildup of feelings of incompetence or worthlessness, especially when they are unable to make any concrete progress towards realizing their goals or ideals.

No function can be fully suppressed, so inferior Si will leak into consciousness in strange ways. Proper Si desires stability through utilizing personal knowledge to carefully sort through facts/details and is completely comfortable with seeing one’s reality as having clear structure, boundaries, and limitations. This can create an underlying sense of anxiety in Ne-doms because Ne fundamentally requires reality to have no boundaries or limits in order to maintain intuitive access to conceptual possibilities. Thus, when Ne becomes overextended, Ne-doms may exhibit somewhat desperate attempts to avoid acknowledging details and personal limitations so that they can feel continually connected to the world of possibility and defend against the restrictive and disciplined nature of Si. For example, they might: present themselves as “experts” and fool themselves into thinking that they have all the facts and details, exude a false air of competence through nitpicking or obsessing over little details, reprimand or mock other people for overlooking minor details, rationalize away past mistakes or dismiss the usefulness of past learning/knowledge, suddenly feel exhausted when confronted with too many loose ends to take care of, endlessly jump from one idea/task to another when too many difficulties crop up, take on too many tasks at once, be unwilling to admit that they have stretched themselves too far, refuse to follow rules, ignore/resent advice to slow down and do things more carefully, and so on.

However, this means that Ne has not understood the real source of its own anxiety and so the underlying conflict remains unresolved. Ne sees Si as the “enemy” rather than as an important and helpful part of one’s own psyche. The longer this conflict between Ne and Si goes on, the greater the likelihood of succumbing to “the grip”. Ne might try to resist a grip experience by looking for an external scapegoat for its stress and suffering. Not wanting to turn a critical eye on itself, Ne will blame the outside world for its own failure to engage with Si, e.g., by faulting situational factors like lack of time/resources or accusing other people of being unsupportive. On one hand, Ne-doms crave connection with the Si world and unconsciously desire the inner stability, detailed expertise, and methodical focus that the best Si-doms can achieve; on the other hand, they resent themselves for this desire and become defensive by creating a self-pitying mindset, believing that their “great” ideas/visions are doomed to go unrealized, all the while ignoring the real problem. The more they resist acknowledging important details and personal limitations, the more they will feel lost and exhausted and continually confronted by practical concerns.

Ne-doms can be emotionally triggered in a variety of ways, such as: being judged as having no substance or depth, being seen as unreliable or incompetent, feeling unprepared for an important event or task, having their knowledge of facts doubted by others, being called out for being careless or overlooking details, having to deal with too many details or small practical/logistical matters for a long period of time, dealing with bureaucratic red tape, having a personal value disregarded or violated, being overwhelmed by work, slogging through long periods of repetitive/procedural work, dealing with excessive routine/rules/restrictions/structure, feeling a lack of change/variety, tight deadlines or onerous supervision, lack of intellectual or environmental stimulation, working alone for long periods, being surrounded by negative or apathetic people, working in a poorly managed environment where people do not appreciate ideas for improvement or progress.

When they become stressed and mentally fatigued to the point where Ne can no longer maintain its dominance, unhealthy Si urges will finally erupt from the unconscious, driving Ne-doms to surrender to Si in a negative or destructive manner. The ways in which these psychological urges manifest behaviorally are often unique to the individual and the circumstances. They tend to lose touch with the world of possibilities and, instead, become pessimistic, withdrawn, inflexible, or obsessed about insignificant details. They might: suffer depression or despair, feel emotionally vulnerable and isolated and unappreciated, become unable to verbalize their thoughts or feelings, have difficulty finding pleasure in any activity, get highly irritable or pedantic or finicky, develop tunnel vision and hyperfocus on one task or detail, obsess about completing tasks and feel irrationally pressed for time, develop compulsive behavior in counting or organizing things, feel overwhelmed with trying to make every little detail perfect or relevant, desperately overanalyze past events/mistakes to find reasons/solutions for their present mood or use past events to justify a negative outlook of the future. Being unused to directing so much attention inwardly, they tend to select details inappropriately, often grabbing hold of a negative thought and projecting it into a future of perpetual melancholy. The inward focus also makes them oversensitive to bodily sensations, with a tendency to misinterpret or exaggerate every minor ache as a sign of grave illness or disease. Ultimately, they lose their motivation and enthusiasm for life, feeling lost or hopeless or adrift.

In order to properly avoid a grip experience, it is essential that Ne-doms learn the real value of the Si perspective and the advantages it can confer. For Ne-doms, successfully emerging from a grip experience usually requires some solitude and reflection. Warm support from others, rather than advice or judgment, can usually help to ameliorate their emotions. Since they have a tendency to neglect their physical health, it might help to nurture physical needs like eating well and getting enough sleep and exercise. Ne-doms can also find some peace of mind by utilizing productive Si-related activities that require a positive focus on monitoring physical sensations and mental well-being. Whatever activities are chosen, they should accomplish two goals:

to release and expend Si energy in a way that consciously emphasizes its worth and usefulness, rather than resisting Si or desperately using it to overcompensate for one’s anxieties
to decrease the dominance of Ne, thereby allowing it to relax and regain its natural optimism and enthusiasm for new possibilities
Because access to the inferior function is extremely difficult to achieve due to its opposing nature, the auxiliary function must also be used to relieve psychological pressure whenever possible:

ENTPs can use Ti-related activities to improve their ability to analyze situations and sort out their personal priorities (in order to stay grounded in careful reason and knowledge).
ENFPs can use Fi-related activities to improve their ability to prioritize tasks that promote personal development and well-being (in order to stay grounded in personal/moral boundaries or values).
Ongoing type-related development for Ne-doms:

work on maintaining a broader perspective when your mood is low
appreciate that attention to facts/details helps you to avoid careless mistakes and create more feasible plans
understand that, rather than slowing you down, taking time to focus, think, and plan more carefully actually increases your chance of success or achievement
use Si consciously to concentrate on the details of a situation/task
use Si adaptively by learning to sequence information (improve your organization and time management skills)
use Si to support Ne by understanding how details can enrich your understanding of life, e.g., appreciating how the events of your past have made you who you are today
avoid anxiety by remembering to treat negative thoughts as one of many possibilities
avoid hypochondria or illness by fostering a more routine lifestyle with regular and healthy habits
spend more time developing the details of your inner vision before jumping impulsively into situations
try to find completion before moving on to a new idea
take responsibility for your mistakes and work to improve upon them
reflect on how your relentless need to chase ideas/possibilities affects you and the people around you
make efforts to genuinely understand and build up the natural strengths of Si; observe healthy Si-doms and learn to appreciate their style
envision, recall, or experience real-life scenarios where Si is more capable or effective than Ne at handling reality, so that you can learn to consciously and comfortably choose the most adaptive behaviors

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think they're fairly good about reading the room, so to speak. My two ENFP friends do ask, once in awhile, if they breached an inappropriateness level and it's usually answered with a no. I don't know about the SO and touching though. They don't seem to be that way with their spouses.

Maybe the interaction issue you're feeling is an authenticity thing. You want to be 100% in charge because you don't want anything inauthentic coming at you from a partner.

Hm... This could very well be it. I do want to mention that this isn't exclusive to romantic encounters, when alone with close friends I also clam up.

My guess is that with a group or people you dont know there is an external boundary that can be relied on, when close and personal that boundry doesnt exist.

Reminds me of ESFP friend. Maybe its related to inferior Pi. My ENFP GF doesnt seem to have this issue.

Ah, that's an interesting point. Though I'm not good at room reading, I am good at navigating through a room. (If that makes sense).

I found this on tumblr and it sounded pretty good, especially comparing it to ENFPs i know.

Do you have an exact source on this? I think a grip might have something to do with it. Though, is a grip something that can occur in very situational times? I've always viewed them as possible cycles a person could go through as opposed to something that is triggered by specific events.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hm... This could very well be it. I do want to mention that this isn't exclusive to romantic encounters, when alone with close friends I also clam up.

Ah, that's an interesting point. Though I'm not good at room reading, I am good at navigating through a room. (If that makes sense).

Do you have an exact source on this? I think a grip might have something to do with it. Though, is a grip something that can occur in very situational times? I've always viewed them as possible cycles a person could go through as opposed to something that is triggered by specific events.

How Functions Work: Inferior Si (ENTP/ENFP) - Cognitive Function Theory

Here is where i got it. Not sure how reliable source is. It was just something that seemed accurate based on my observations. Just passing it along for you to judge for yourself if you can relate.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah MBTI-notes. A very reliable source. Big fan of their content.

From experience, Ne has 2 reactions at times. An initial knee jerk reaction when a very quick mental value system is triggered...this can be followed at a later date by an actual internalization and countered by a deeper emotional value. To give an example...i was at a work lunch with an ENFP and an INTP, ENFP was acting more like a date, probably because i have just been a gentelman the whole time since i met her a couple days before. But he called it out and she had a knee jerk reaction of ewwww...out loud...lol. further down the line with more she was fine. But she needed more data and more internal judgement.

Whether its right, wrong, good, bad doesnt apply. Its where you are and not where you wanna be. Take your time, build closeness with people at a level that you are comfortable stretching your legs with and enjoy life. Figure out what you want in a person. Who knows what your scared of may disappear on its own when you find that person

Anyway, my 2 cents.