User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

  1. #11
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I've learned that being direct and honest as soon as possible is the best way to handle situations like this (and other disappointments).

    "Hey, let's hang out."
    "I'm going to be honest: I'm not too keen on making plans with you because of your history of flagrant unreliability."

    It gives them an idea of how upset you are, it tells them what they're doing is unacceptable, it excuses you from being subjected to their shenanigans because you've addressed the issue, you get to unburden yourself of the feelings that are associated with disappointment, and they are then held to a higher standard.
    Yeah but I don't want to be all, "WTF?" I want to be like, "Hey, I didn't hear from you after we hung up. What happened?"
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Rachelinpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Yeah, you just need to tell them it's annoying and how it makes you feel.

    And if they continue to flake out on you, you should determine whether or not you are willing to put up with that sort of treatment in the future.

    Stuff like really puts a spin on whether the entire relationship is worth having or not.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Rachelinpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Yeah but I don't want to be all, "WTF?" I want to be like, "Hey, I didn't hear from you after we hung up. What happened?"
    But... you are like... "WTF?"... right?

    Haha. No, I know what you're saying. I think giving them an opportunity to explain themselves is definitely a better way to go about it. That way they won't feel the need to be as defensive.

  4. #14
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Yeah but I don't want to be all, "WTF?" I want to be like, "Hey, I didn't hear from you after we hung up. What happened?"
    Well, in that situation, that would probably be more suitable.. I had in mind people that keep calling and saying they'll be there in __ minutes.

  5. #15
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    "...like many other FJ types, find themselves caught between the desire to express their wealth of feelings and moral conclusions about the actions and attitudes of others, and the awareness of the consequences of unbridled candor."

    So I find myself living the above sentiment. ...

    Things like this really get under my skin. They make me feel insecure and unwanted. If you can't call me back or won't, that's fine, but don't tell me that you will. It only causes me to take your word with a grain of salt. I don't like having to do that. I know enough unreliable people already, please don't add to it.

    ...

    So I've been friends with these guys for quite some time, and am aware that they vastly understate the amount of time they take to get anywhere. Should I have taken this into my calculations? Yes. ... Can we move past the childish understatements of time? Because clearly, I don't care if you're going to take an hour and a half. But, you know, I do care if you lie to me on a regular basis. And that's what this was. A lie.

    ....
    First of all, I feel your pain. I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.
    Secondly, you seem to be very angry about this, and there's no reason why you can't - not in anger - communicate to your friends how you feel about their inaccuracies/lies.
    Thirdly, prepare to accept them the way they are.

    I'm not so sure how "childish" the understatements of time actually are.
    I think some Types are more prone to this than others.
    I'm not sure which types though.
    Surely it's the kind that try to cram as much activity into an hour as they possibly can.

    I am married to an ISTP and I had to learn a long time ago that when he says he'll be home at a certain time, what he really means is that he'll leave where he is at that time and I will have to add in an extra 30 minutes for the drive time. Now this isn't all the time, this is just sometimes when he's doing chores or building projects.

    At first, I was just as angry and frustrated as you are, but as soon as I learned to decipher his communication system and just add in the extra time, and I no longer had a cold or burned dinner, or whatever else, I was able to know what to expect.
    And knowing what to expect was all I wanted.
    But yeah. Being lied to irritates me, too.

  6. #16
    Senior Member niki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    210

    Default

    i think maybe its the P, or the combination of F and P , that often being prone to disregard the concept or importance of time he2

    i have to admit that i myself often have problem with time too.. and i know many people dislike it.. and as much as i've tried to change, the behavior is just still there *sigh*

    maybe i do need a real hard smack or slap in my face, a tough-love, something like that..
    to make me realize that what i did was wrong?..

  7. #17
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Dude, you don't have to be an FJ to get pissed off at this stuff. My family is full of super flakes and it absolutely maddens me every time I have to deal with them. They arrange things between them and then just expect other people involved to psychically know what they're up to. There are so many examples right off bat...

    My neice E coming over from the USA for the first time in 6 years, phoning us and saying how excited she'll be to see me and my kids - especially my oldest K, who's particularly attached to her. So what does she do? Despite my many e-mails, calls and texts she doesn't answer her phone and keeps me totally in the dark about what she's planning (not even knowing where she's staying), and then all of a sudden one Sunday morning turns up on my doorstep (of my very small appartment) with 6 relatives - all of whom I hadn't seen since before I changed sex (so THAT was awkward!!!), and said they'd come round for lunch. K was at a sleepover with her friends. I said could they wait while I called to see if she could come home earlier so's not to miss them but they said they couldn't wait - they had appointments to keep!!!! - so there's me having to make an impromptu lunch for an extra 7 adults right the day before my next week's grocery shopping so I had next to nothing in the cupboards. And there was no room for anyone. Their defence? They said they told someone else and told them to tell me! That someone else being a person who doesn't even have a telephone or the internet! And when I got a bit cross and said that, y'know, when you plan to use someone's home as a venue it's usually the done thing to consult them directly BEFORE you finalize your plans, they made out like I was super mega uptight and got offended saying they thought I wasn't pleased to see them after all this time! GAHHH!!!

    Then there's K's best friend's parents, who invite her over their place for sleepovers and stuff, ask me when she needs to be home, I tell them when and why (because I have plans that she needs to be home for) and without fail, every single time, I'm still waiting for her to get home an hour after the time we agreed, then get a phone call begging please please please please can I stay here again another night because they've got a movie and blah blah blah, so I get made out to be the bad guy, the super strict dad because I say No, and have to keep saying no regardless of all their puppy eyed pleas and stuff because we've GOT PLANS ALREADY that I don't intend to flake out on!!

    Gah yeah, stuff like this drives me FUCKING INSANE. I just figure if I have to deal with these people, I make it a day and time when I have no other plans, and I just give them as little control as possible over logistics and stuff.

    I don't even see this as being particularly J - in fact it's because I'm very P, y'know, I want to have my calendar open, have free time to spontaneously go out and explore and do stuff, that's why I need to know when I need to be back for, what my restrictions are. If they say K will be brought home at 2, I want to know this means all the day after 2pm is free time that I can do as I please in - I want to know that if I decide at 1.45pm that I fancy going for a spin to the beach, then I only have to wait 15 minutes and we can go - not that I could end up wasting the entire afternoon hanging around waiting for them to show up.

    I think though that my family having a pretty SP vibe about it is probably what makes me 'more organized than the average P', or maybe accelerated my Te somewhat, because I've had to learn to just be ruthless and stuff with them and not care if it means they think I'm anal or uptight or whatever. I've just had to get used to laying down the law with them and insisting and pestering and confirming and reminding and all this stuff, otherwise I just end up messed about the whole damn time, and consequently so does everyone else who relies on ME.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  8. #18
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Dude, you don't have to be an FJ to get pissed off at this stuff. My family is full of super flakes and it absolutely maddens me every time I have to deal with them. They arrange things between them and then just expect other people involved to psychically know what they're up to. There are so many examples right off bat...

    My neice E coming over from the USA for the first time in 6 years, phoning us and saying how excited she'll be to see me and my kids - especially my oldest K, who's particularly attached to her. So what does she do? Despite my many e-mails, calls and texts she doesn't answer her phone and keeps me totally in the dark about what she's planning (not even knowing where she's staying), and then all of a sudden one Sunday morning turns up on my doorstep (of my very small appartment) with 6 relatives - all of whom I hadn't seen since before I changed sex (so THAT was awkward!!!), and said they'd come round for lunch. K was at a sleepover with her friends. I said could they wait while I called to see if she could come home earlier so's not to miss them but they said they couldn't wait - they had appointments to keep!!!! - so there's me having to make an impromptu lunch for an extra 7 adults right the day before my next week's grocery shopping so I had next to nothing in the cupboards. And there was no room for anyone. Their defence? They said they told someone else and told them to tell me! That someone else being a person who doesn't even have a telephone or the internet! And when I got a bit cross and said that, y'know, when you plan to use someone's home as a venue it's usually the done thing to consult them directly BEFORE you finalize your plans, they made out like I was super mega uptight and got offended saying they thought I wasn't pleased to see them after all this time! GAHHH!!!
    ....
    Wow! That is some story! Incredible that they would treat you that way!

  9. #19
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Mang, I know some unreliable people. They say they'll be there in X -- it's a 1/3 chance they'll even make it out the door. And they'll make you insanely (like HOURS) late or totally mess up your own plans in the process.

    Your story -- I would tell people beforehand what your expectations are. I know for me time can sometimes be very malleable and often my friends are on the same page as me. You say "8:00pm" and people come any time between 8:00 - 8:20 pm and it's not a big deal.

    Then there are times when you say 8:00pm and you really mean 8:00 pm.

    I've gotten in trouble with people about 'making plans' with them, when I didn't think I actually made definite plans with them.

    I've also gotten super pissed at people for wasting my time.

    Situations that could've been avoided!

    I think it's important to double check you are indeed on the same page as someone. And if you haven't confirmed and your gut tells you that X person has a history of being late and will be late again, cancel or else proceed assuming they'll be late.

    When both people are super punctual always on time it's not an issue.

    But perhaps next time with these friends you can say, "So do you mean 10 minutes or do you mean *your* time 10 minutes? Because I really want to start on time/don't want to wait around/need to know exactly so I can schedule my evening." etc.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  10. #20
    Senior Member Bella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Oh man, late-ness, drives me to the brink of crazy.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

    It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] How do you deal with unreliable people?
    By fill in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
  2. Top three people you'd like to meet from MBTIc
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
  3. Picture Presents for People
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO