User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    oh yeah, you're right.. i mean 'long-term' pleasure, meaning living a life 100% full of pleasures.

but would we really find 'meaning' after we've done all that? the 'ultimate' fulfillment?
    or we'd just get more depressed?
    If you get depressed, you're not being a good hedonist. If "ultimate fulfillment" is what would please you or make you happy, then trying to obtain can definitely be explained as hedonistic.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    How do you figure? Hedonism = devotion to pleasure. Why can't the short/long pleasure distinction be made it doesn't make sense? Are you talking about pleasure in the afterlife?
    You can take the definition that far if you want, I suppose, but the traditional definition is seeking short-term sensory pleasure.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    You can take the definition that far if you want, I suppose, but the traditional definition is one who seeks short-term sensory pleasure.
    I don't see "short term" or anything meaning it in the dictionary definitions.

Maybe you're equating "pleasing the senses" to "short-term pleasure".

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't see "short term" or anything meaning it in the dictionary.

Maybe you're equating "pleasing the senses" to "short-term pleasure".
    I didn't look it up, I was just going by what the word actually has meant forever.

It would be logical to make that equation, because you can only please the senses for so long before the pleasure turns to pain.

MBTI
    INTP

I didn't look it up, I was just going by what the word actually has meant forever.
    According to what? The Invisible Dictionary?

It would be logical to make that equation, because you can only please the senses for so long before the pleasure turns to pain.
    People can make plans to have their senses pleased in the future/long term too.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

You've apparently won this debate, because of: *exit*

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Short term pleasure is good, but a true hedonist plans for long term pleasure.
    A true hedonist weighs short term against long term.

MBTI
    INTP

Right.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm going to split the God stuff out of here because it's off-topic and seems like it's going to turn into a God vs. skepticism debate. Link here.

Bella, please remember that while you're entitled to voice your opinions and beliefs, people here don't like to be preached to. This isn't the right thread for that, nor the right site. If you'd like to start a thread about God, go for it. Just be mindful of the religious moralizing.
    But someone's gotta bring the WOOOORD, brother Edahn!
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Banned

Existence is undoubtedly problematic and disturbing. In Sartre's "Peanuts," Schulz succinctly describes the horror of discovering one's own existence in the world:

Linus: I'm aware of my tongue... It's an awful feeling! Every now and then I become aware that I have a tongue inside my mouth, and then it starts to feel lumped up... I can't help it... I can't put it out of my mind... I keep thinking about where my tongue would be if I weren't thinking about it, and then I can feel it sort of pressing against my teeth...
    Sartre devoted an entire book to this experience his 1938 novel "Nausea" in which his character Roquentin is alarmed to discover his own actuality. But Linus sums the point up very well in a few frames.

The movie "The Ice Harvest" exemplifies the same idea because these are characters who are clearly on the existential slide; life has very little meaning for them. Billy Bob said to John, "If you are what you do, and you never do anything, then what the fuck are you?" And then John says, "So what do you want to do?" And Billy Bob says, "I don't know." And so they hatch the plan to commit the crime. It's like a joke setup: "Two guys are sitting in a bar..."

Each person potentially is the world's best expert on himself and has the best information about himself. What drives a person to live, interact with the environment, his "motivation" if you will, is the overall characteristic of simply being alive. No special concepts are required to understand why people are motivated and active: every person is motivated for no other reason that he is alive. The individual IS what he DOES and comes to know his nature by seeing what he is doing. There is no human nature -- man simply IS, and he is nothing else but what he makes of himself.