User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Right. So objectively, the word "meaning" has no meaning. There is no objective concept of meaning.

"What's the meaning of life?" seems to be a question that tries to get at the nature of things from the outside perspective. The answer is that there is no answer. We can't see the outside perspective.

Maybe there's an objective "meaning of life", but we'll never know. Practically, there is no "meaning of life", only an interpretation -- our own meaning.

But that means that we're alone. That's the scary thing for most people.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I remember you making claims of divinity before. heehee
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ing-split.html

Your posts should be in this new thread now.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I remember you making claims of divinity before. heehee
    shhhhh damnit no one's suppose to know yet, I let it slip. I lost my plane ticket to get to the Holy Land, so my proclamation is on hold.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    shhhhh damnit no one's suppose to know yet, I let it slip. I lost my plane ticket to get to the Holy Land, so my proclamation is on hold.

:yim_rolling_on_the_
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Right. So objectively, the word "meaning" has no meaning. There is no objective concept of meaning.

"What's the meaning of life?" seems to be a question that tries to get at the nature of things from the outside perspective. The answer is that there is no answer. We can't see the outside perspective.

Maybe there's an objective "meaning of life", but we'll never know. Practically, there is no "meaning of life", only an interpretation -- our own meaning.

But that means that we're alone. That's the scary thing for most people.
    Yes, as far as we're concerned, there is no outside perspective. There could be dimensions or even life around us that we can't even perceive.

I'd say that there could be some great objective meaning to life and the universe, but we can't answer that question, only theorize, however the answer exists out there.

MBTI
    INFP

scientifically-speaking, if only we can find what's really happening when t (time) = 0 (zero) , meaning at the very beginning of the Universe, then we might find what's really the meaning of this Universe, and hence, the meaning of our life (not through some man-made holy books, sorry to say).
    ever heard the most-recent experiment called LHC (large Hauldron Collider) done by large group of scientists? i think this is what they're trying to find out , ie: the answer to everything, when
    t = 0!

i've been discussing this a lot with my INTJ cousin, for months..
    and strangely, ultimately , and fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on ur perspective) , it seems like the ultimate answer seems to be "since there's no real objective meaning to each of our life, then living a hedonistic & short-term have-fun-to-the-fullest life might seems to be the best answer.
    but that eventually only make me & him depressed, because then we see how those 'bad guys' get all the pleasures and enjoyment of this 'futile' world & universe!
    while us two, still have to shut down our 'meaningless' talk, and get back to our boring daily 9-to-5 office-work ! how depressing it is! :/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    scientifically-speaking, if only we can find what's really happening when t (time) = 0 (zero) , meaning at the very beginning of the Universe, then we might find what's really the meaning of this Universe, and hence, the meaning of our life (not through some man-made holy books, sorry to say).

i've been discussing this a lot with my INTJ cousin, for months..
    and strangely, ultimately , and fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on ur perspective) , it seems like the ultimate answer seems to be "since there's no real objective meaning to each of our life, then living a hedonistic & short-term have-fun-to-the-fullest life might seems to be the best answer.
    but that eventually only make me & him depressed, because then we see how those 'bad guys' get all the pleasures and enjoyment of this 'futile' world & universe!
    while us two, still have to shut down our 'meaningless' talk, and get back to our boring daily 9-to-5 office-work ! how depressing it is! :/
    Short term pleasure is good, but a true hedonist plans for long term pleasure.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Short term pleasure is good, but a true hedonist plans for long term pleasure.
    Classically speaking, that's the opposite of hedonism, and is why hedonists are considered flawed by, say, the religious types.

MBTI
    INFP

oh yeah, you're right.. i mean 'long-term' pleasure, meaning living a life 100% full of pleasures.

but would we really find 'meaning' after we've done all that? the 'ultimate' fulfillment?
    or we'd just get more depressed?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Classically speaking, that's the opposite of hedonism, and is why hedonists are considered flawed by, say, the religious types.
    How do you figure? Hedonism = devotion to pleasure. Why can't the short/long pleasure distinction be made it doesn't make sense? Are you talking about pleasure in the afterlife?