User Tag List

123 Last

Default Philosophy and type

Which types do you believe would enjoy philosophy?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

INFx, INTx. We have different approaches, however.

The Ideal INTP approach to philosophy (I say so without qualification since it is mine ) is to analyze life, decide on a personal philosophy, and live by it. Post-decision input becomes irrelevant, for the most part.

MBTI
    ENFP

INTP as the analyst machine, the Ni's, INTJ and INFJ, INFPs are constantly scrutinizing their own philosophy it seems, though in a more personal manner than the INTP counterpart. ENFPs could be fantastic philosophers because of the attention they pay to others' behavior (Ne Fi) forces them through Te (with Si) to scrutinize themselves against the patterns they percieve in others, so a strong natural philosophy will develop, and they will constantly check and re-check to make sure the philosophy they embody is "right." Which it never will be. Their downfall would be that most of them are not naturally drawn to study large amounts of philosophy and would be content just changing themselves instead. I enjoy philosophy personally, and I believe ENFPs have the tools for this kind of analysis. Though my bias is enormous. Intuition may be very important to connect ideas in a manner conducive to abstract analysis, so it would seem to me that not a single 'S' type has a leg up on any of the 'N' types. INTJs and INTPs really take the cake though if you think about it, I would guess 80% minimum of our best philosophers fall into one camp or the other

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Dang, I used to have an actual type chart from the CAPT: Training, Books, Research for MBTI, Archetypes, Leadership, Psychological Type. database. Philosophy professors are mostly NT, mostly INT, as I recall. Yes some INFs dabble in it but so much of the formal discipline deals with logic...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENFP

edit: But some types such as ISTJ could really get a lot of philosophy done. If this was a question of who could create the most sound philosophy, or write the best philosophy, my answer would have been very different and I would have had very little emphasis on the ENFP type. But the question was open-ended.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

My "philosophy" (LOL) is that ENFPs lack the objectivity necessary to analyze life for what it really is.

MBTI
    INFP

all the N types basically. but with different approaches and goals.

NT's would probably be more systematic, and good at theoretical philosophy, while NF's would be less systematic, more into ethics and maybe aestethics.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    My "philosophy" (LOL) is that ENFPs lack the objectivity necessary to analyze life for what it really is.
    understanding what life "really" is, is pretty hard to define anyway. or at least to reduce to objectivity.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

For everyone but INTPs, it is. I pity you all. (LOL, but I'm not kidding in the least.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I would say mainly introverted intuitives. Extraverted intuitives tend to be less reflective and obsessed with the theoretical.

In my experience, INTPs tend to be the most obsessed with philosophy (all aspects). Also, personally, every INTJ I know has at least some background in it, but either lost interest or didn't care much for it because its highly theoretical nature had limited applicability.

I also observed that INFPs and INFJs tend to be more interested in the spiritual/theological/ethics sides of philosophy. Which makes sense.