User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default INFJs-are you prone to getting concrete info to verify intuition?

When your Ni tells you something are you inclined to find out further with concrete info or do you simply trust it? If you get concrete info that sensors would take at face value and appears to oppose your intuition, are you likely to believe your Ni was still correct to some extent and know the reasons the verifying info appears to contradict it? I'm asking because someone told me not to rely so much on Ni without verifying it with info obtained more by the sensor types. This person claims to be N but I believe this person is S due to so much reliance on the concrete.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I do pay attention to my intuition but I don't usually rely on it exclusively. So I am inclined to 'wait it out' and gather more info/data - and this could certainly include more sensory/concrete variables - which I think are important as well.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I do pay attention to my intuition but I don't usually rely on it exclusively. So I am inclined to 'wait it out' and gather more info/data - and this could certainly include more sensory/concrete variables - which I think are important as well.
    Yeah, I try to do this, especially with important stuff.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

Hmm, my intuitions are usually about myself-- what I need and what my conflicts are. I can't imagine sensory/concrete verification being relevant or even possible for such matters (unless I'm misunderstanding the terminology), so I guess the answer to your question is no.

On issues where sensory and concrete data is relevant and useful then (hopefully!) I take it into consideration.
    "There ain't no doubt in no one's mind that love's the finest thing around. Whisper something soft and kind." --James Taylor

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    When your Ni tells you something are you inclined to find out further with concrete info or do you simply trust it? If you get concrete info that sensors would take at face value and appears to oppose your intuition, are you likely to believe your Ni was still correct to some extent and know the reasons the verifying info appears to contradict it? I'm asking because someone told me not to rely so much on Ni without verifying it with info obtained more by the sensor types. This person claims to be N but I believe this person is S due to so much reliance on the concrete.
    Well, the place where verifying or simply investigating the subjects of your intuitions comes into play is with anything dealing with anything other than yourself directly. You could jump to an insight about yourself and any sort of data gathered isn't really relevant. However, if you jumped to an insight about...say...something involving astrophysics or politics, it would probably not be wise to express that idea in a discussion setting without having something to back yourself up. My father and I (both Ni doms) have run into this problem quite a lot and have had such insights shot down very, very quickly by more data-oriented types due to our lack of evidence to support our claims. (Either because we're too lazy to look up information or we intend to research the subject further, but get sidetracked and ultimately forget to do so.)
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

violaine

I have strong intuitions that I find hard to ignore. I try and back them up with further investigation if time permits. Just to be prudent, though I don't absolutely feel the need to do this. If time doesn't permit and I have to make a decision my intuition holds a lot of weight. I think it depends on what arena you're talking about, I totally trust my intuitions when it comes to people and group dynamics and buying and selling too... but I usually keep it all to myself. I'm not really interested in whether my friends or family agree with me, it's kind of for me only.

There has been one occasion that fits with the OP. I had a certain insight about someone and I shared it in a very low-key way with some family members that it concerned. Anyway, they couldn't see what I was talking about, so I dropped it. Two years later they completely agree with my original assessment. I'm trying to think of when I've been really wrong but nothing comes to mind at present. I do confine these things to the areas I mentioned above though.

Don't know if any of this helps. Maybe the person you're wondering about has been burned by relying on their intuitions?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    I basically use my Ti to verify (or throw away) my intuitions. Which means I don't as much look to tangible external evidence as I do to consistency of evidence I've already gathered.

If an intuition fits every bit of data I have, I assume it's right (Ti). Of course, if I'm exposed to contradictory information, I'll have to rework my intuition. But usually if I don't have enough data I won't make a judgment anyway.

When I'm sure enough to make a prediction or offer a new interpretation, I'm right more than 95% of the time. (I just rarely make those predictions or interpretations.)

MBTI
    INFJ

It drives me crazy, but I do. I especially hate it when I get an intuition, come up against someone else who doesn't believe it, and then it turns out to be true. Sometimes I don't trust my Intuition enough.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

INFJ -> Ni, Fe, Ti, Se

look at the shadow function
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Sniffles

Yes very often I use Ti to verify and further articulate my Ni insights. This of course means going out and searching for facts to do this. Although very often my Ni inisghts also help put a new perspective on concrete facts I already knew. Very odd.