User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Bumping this thread for people to discuss the OP. I personally totally agree with it. A lot of these "typical" INFP traits seem like BS.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Show me an infp who knows how to use a stupid semicolon on occasion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I'd say I'm sensitive & vulnerable...warm & fuzzy, not so much. Irrational - at times, at other times I'm quite rational.

I agree a lot with the first post, and I also feel that while the INFPs values are at the core of who they are, the values will vary from individual to individual. Not all INFPs will value harmony above all else - while I value it, it is not at the top of my list.

A lot of INFPs seem to test INTP and question their type because of the whole nicey nice INFP stereotype (myself included).
    I've gone my whole life being tagged as aloof, detached, cold, etc because my feeling is introverted, yet I also get stuck with "sensitive".
    My family always tells me I need to get off the logic train and be more sentimental (lots of Fe users & expressive extroverts in my family...).

In other situations, strangers peg me as gentle & passive, and an overall mystery....which means they get to fill in the rest, possibly reducing me to a fluffy little frightened bunny.

There seems to be several layers to the INFP...keep peeling to get to the center, and try not to cry .

Quote Originally Posted by placebo View Post
    I relate to a lot of the type descriptions I read. But I think that many descriptions emphasize words like 'good', 'peaceful', 'conflict avoidant', 'loyal', 'sensitive', etc etc paints the picture in readers minds of fluffy kitties and angels, when it's all entirely possible that INFPs come off quite the opposite. All these traits are very internally directed and can't be seen from the outside all the time, so I suppose that's what happens when you come across a 'non-typical' INFP.
    I agree that a lot of what these descriptions describe are internal workings, not the outside impression given to others.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    GONE

I realized recently that I do know a number of INFPs and all I have to say is in general INFPs are aloof. Even prickly. And yes, cold. Not effusive, warm, touchy feely, sweet, etc. - save those adjectives for ISFXs!

However, many of the INFP that I have seen greatly appreciate high Fe users and respond very very well to people who are tradtionally 'sweet', very friendly, warm, etc. I think it mirrors back what the INFP themselves would like to be like or even see themselves like and softens up their hard Fi shell. The irony is that they do not respond well to their own style of Fi dominance - that is, of holding firm to values.

It's kinda of annoying, actually. Ha ha ha ha, okay I'm thinking of a particular INFP whom I dated. I will not hold this against all INFPs, promise (just her).
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I realized recently that I do know a number of INFPs and all I have to say is in general INFPs are aloof. Even prickly. And yes, cold. Not effusive, warm, touchy feely, sweet, etc. - save those adjectives for ISFXs!

However, many of the INFP that I have seen greatly appreciate high Fe users and respond very very well to people who are tradtionally 'sweet', very friendly, warm, etc. I think it mirrors back what the INFP themselves would like to be like or even see themselves like and softens up their hard Fi Ti shell.
    Eh, this could very well describe me.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

However, many of the INFP that I have seen greatly appreciate high Fe users and respond very very well to people who are tradtionally 'sweet', very friendly, warm, etc. I think it mirrors back what the INFP themselves would like to be like or even see themselves like and softens up their hard Fi shell. The irony is that they do not respond well to their own style of Fi dominance - that is, of holding firm to values.
    I'd say this is mostly true
    Sometimes when I hear people describe INFPs, it sounds waaaay more like a nurturing ISFJ.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Warm? Fuzzy? Irrational? Sensitive? Vulnerable? Am I the only one calling BS on these being typical INFP traits?
    I've expereinced all of these things for most of my life and I'm an INFP, so I definitely would not say that it's "bullshit". It's just not the whole picture.

My personal experience has shown INFPs to definitely not be clingy, needy, vulnerable (on the outside), overly emotional (on the outside) and all that.
    I am capable of being all of those things. Maybe the INFPs you knew just didn't trust you enough or whatever to show you this side.

Am I just being crazy about this or something? I thought INFPs were a hard nut to crack, and what goo comes out when you do is dependent almost entirely on the individual.

I'm definitely a nut. I can also be sarcastic, glib, snide, bitchy, or funny. Of course nobody acts like a kitten 24/7.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

*shoves all INFPs in an INFP box and tells them that we know everything about them to watch them squirm*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    *shoves all INFPs in an INFP box and tells them that we know everything about them to watch them squirm*
    No squirming. Just giving you a calm "what do you think you're doing?" sort of look.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Warm? Fuzzy? Irrational? Sensitive? Vulnerable? Am I the only one calling BS on these being typical INFP traits?
    I'm all of these things at different moments, but only in private or when I'm with someone I trust. At all other times, I remain stowic. I think INFPs really only open up when they're with someone they trust, and very few people see that level of openess. This could also be the challenge for INFPs: To allow the world to see them, without fear of judgement.

When it comes to empathy, it's about a search for understanding. You don't have to agree with someone in order to understand why they are who they are or why they've done what they've done. If I can understand the reasons behind something, I can accept pretty much anything for what it is and then either move on or find a resolution.

MBTI
    INTP

What is the real difference between an INTP and an INFP and how can you tell them apart?