User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne View Post
    Whatīs a normal INFP? Itīs true that some INFP descriptions emphasis this dislike for conflict, which doesnīt fit me either. Fortunately, there are other descriptions with far lesser amounts of dancing elves and magical unicorns. Naomi Quenk lists three important features of dominant introverted feeling, which are inner harmony, economy of emotional expression and acceptance of feeling as nonlogical.

Inner harmony explains to me why I sometimes like to start conflicts. The outer harmony isnīt really important to me, but inside I need to be in harmony. If Iīm not sure about someoneīs motives or my values get attacked I will bring my inner conflict outside. By starting a conflict with someone I try to gain inner harmony.

Economy of emotional expression - The more emotional people will express their feeling values, the colder I will get. Being overtly emotional feels kind of fake to me and I canīt go along.
    Well I put it in quotes because I knew it would be questioned :P
    I assume the normal INFP dislikes conflict, and by what you say it does seem to be true. I totally agree with you though; my inner harmony trumps outer harmony.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Well I put it in quotes because I knew it would be questioned :P
    It was a rhetorical question.

I assume the normal INFP dislikes conflict, and by what you say it does seem to be true. I totally agree with you though; my inner harmony trumps outer harmony.
    It depends on what you regard as a conflict. I also like to question people and have a reputation for arguing too much, but I donīt think of that as having a conflict. Sometimes itīs just a matter of different opinions.

MBTI
    INFP

I'd agree with a fair few things mentioned in this thread.

I've always wondered if it's just scoring high on T that makes me colder than the INFP type descriptions. This has shed some new light on Fi in the dominant position however.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphyne View Post
    Economy of emotional expression - The more emotional people will express their feeling values, the colder I will get. Being overtly emotional feels kind of fake to me and I canīt go along.
    So true.
    It's just a ride

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Let's put it this way, and I don't want to narrow it down to just INFPs, but NFs and maybe even F's, abroad, but whenever I feel an emotion, anger, fear, anxiety, excitement, peacefulness, etc. I feel it very very strongly, even though it may be hard to tell. One example is if I get frustrated, then I get very very frustrated, even if my case is wrong. It's not just about feeling sympathetic, but letting your emotions control you, even in the bad ways.

So I don't know if any other INFPs, NFs, or even Fs, get this feeling of not just being sympathetic, but letting your emotions gain complete control over your actions, even if they are negative..and not saying that we go out and hurt people if we are mad..but you get the point.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

heart on fire

I never like conflict but life demands it, so what is a person to do? Ignore truth and stay quiet or speak up and generate conflict? It all depends on if you want to be able to look yourself in the mirror I suppose.

MBTI
    INXX

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    In my limited, severely flawed observations, I've noticed that INFPs are true to type, just as everyone else, but the descriptions can be exaggerated.
    I know you sandwich your opinion between a couple of caveats, but just for giggles, I'd like to voice what I think may be the problem with not just your observations but anybody's.

First, people who come to a forum like this are likely to be more attracted to and convinced by MBTI if they feel similar to their type description. Those that feel dissimilar are more likely to stay away.

Second, when people here in these forums are exposed to others' expectations of their type behavior, they are more likely to oblige by living up to the expectations.

Third, when they behave true to type, it's likely to be more noticed and remembered than when they do not.

In short, a similar process could happen as with racial stereotypes or gender roles. You have people playing roles according to their type, and you have other people stereotyping them, and these two processes feed each other.

I do identify a lot with the INFP description (and quite a bit but less so with the INTP description and INFJ one). But I also identify quite a bit with descriptions of Cancer, my sign.

heart on fire

I don't find much to agree with in the Leo description for myself.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelTao View Post
    I know you sandwich your opinion between a couple of caveats...
    In short, I don't recollect if I've ever had you pegged as a type (Have I?), but I now pronounce you as INFP.

MBTI
    INFP

I relate to a lot of the type descriptions I read. But I think that many descriptions emphasize words like 'good', 'peaceful', 'conflict avoidant', 'loyal', 'sensitive', etc etc paints the picture in readers minds of fluffy kitties and angels, when it's all entirely possible that INFPs come off quite the opposite. All these traits are very internally directed and can't be seen from the outside all the time, so I suppose that's what happens when you come across a 'non-typical' INFP.

Anyway I don't actually think that makes any sense, but I agree with what you wrote OP. I HATE being clingy, and I hate being over emotional on the outside. Euggghhh...

And also everything about empathy and using logic as a result I agree with. I always felt uncomfortable when in my mind I would try to understand the 'culprit' or 'villain's side of the story, whilst everyone else sympathized with the 'victim' & condemned the perpetrator.

Anyway, I guess saying this as one INFP to another, this post means a lot of sense to me.

MBTI
    INFP

I think it's true that the INFP empathises with both parties in a quarrel and thus becomes everyone's enemy. Sigh. And then, I find that having to talk logic to a simply unyielding F about why I empathise with the enemy party too can be torture. Then I realise what the INTP's life must be like, and feel glad I'm not one!

And I wouldn't deny the Calvin character sketch, not even the teddy bears and rainbows and fluffy kittens in the INFP portrayal, because aren't INFPs primarily dreamers? And yet they aren't too much into physical contact with other human beings, which makes them come across as cold and unreachable and distant.
    (Ugh, I hate being hugged. Makes me feel suffocated. Soft, fluffy kittens and teddy bears I can hug. Smelly, sweaty human beings I HATE hugging!)

I'm sooo cliched an INFP I'm proud of me! And ooh yes, I'm Enneagram 4, with 9 following closely.
    I 78% N 62% F 62% P 67%
    [From http://www.humanmetrics.com]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you want to see the Indian sun?
    It's shining into my green eyes,
    Dappling my fur a patchy brown,
    Brightening up my spotty white.

Purr...