User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Now you have me confused as well. I basically agree with your OP.
    Hmm. I was going with your "distaste with humanity" remark.

It was unclear sorry.

"Distaste with reality" would be how I describe them.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Speaking of unclear, I should've said "distaste for humanity," shouldn't I have?

Yes, distaste for reality is probably a slightly better description.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think most, if not all, INFPs possess and use empathy a lot. However, in the case of some person beating a someone else to death, I thought empathy meant you understood/feel both the victim's position and the murderer's position. Instead of selective empathy (which I though was Fe's speciality used to keep the peace) where normally you only feel/care about the victim's position.

The first empathy leads to the observer becoming emotionally neutral to the situation, since you've felt both positions, unless the observer is only in the presence of one of the people, in which case they normally side with them until they hear/think of the other sides.

Being neutral then leaves only logic and ethics, which, because of the lack of emotion for either side, make a cold impersonal judgement on the matter. (This empathy isn't used all the time, nor perfect)
    This is a really good point. Fi in the first position can bring a sort of all-embracing empathy which is actually impersonal.

Also, the most intellectually sharp person I know happen to be an INFP, so...

Underneath it all they still come across as sensitive and vulnerable, though (not on the outside, as you write).

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I prefer the term 'disillusionment'.

Edit: To clarify, I had a disillusionment with humanity more than a distaste for it. I had to get over that, and quit punishing myself and the world for not living up to my lofty ideals.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Atypical is a typical INFP trait... :rolli:
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ

Never did like the rainbow and unicorn descriptions I always found. I have no idea why they are like that but...meh, I still believe I am an INFP.

A few things that I don't agree with:

Selflessness: Not sure, maybe at one point I really did think of others first but after being used and trampled over I have learned to assert myself.

Never Find Perfection: This is true enough but it doesn't make me unhappy. I mean, I really have learned to appreciate all the things that I have rather than pining for the things I don't.

Strong dislike for conflict: Um, no. I don't like conflict with myself and someone I am uncomfortable with/don't know but I am notorious for arguing with my friends about their beliefs and calling them out when they are inconsistent...I even secretly enjoy getting into conflicts with friends about things because after it is over we become closer as friends.

Keep in mind that even though I test as an INFP, I do test relatively high on Ti so maybe that makes me less like "normal" INFPs.

MBTI
    INFP

I've been called insensitive by some Fe types because my empathy is all embracing, and, yes, impersonal. I also suppose that the cartoon description of types is always unfair to them, and maybe with INFP's this happens even more often since we tend to, uhm, confuse people.

But that said it's mostly a matter of semantics; I think that we are indeed prone to smooth things out, but not in a let's all agree and wub each other Fe kind of way,more as in always provide the balance when the balance is off. Sometimes this requires stirring things up. We love conflict sometimes, because it can restore harmony.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Keep in mind that even though I test as an INFP, I do test relatively high on Ti so maybe that makes me less like "normal" INFPs.
    Whats a normal INFP? Its true that some INFP descriptions emphasis this dislike for conflict, which doesnt fit me either. Fortunately, there are other descriptions with far lesser amounts of dancing elves and magical unicorns. Naomi Quenk lists three important features of dominant introverted feeling, which are inner harmony, economy of emotional expression and acceptance of feeling as nonlogical.

Inner harmony explains to me why I sometimes like to start conflicts. The outer harmony isnt really important to me, but inside I need to be in harmony. If Im not sure about someones motives or my values get attacked I will bring my inner conflict outside. By starting a conflict with someone I try to gain inner harmony.

Economy of emotional expression - The more emotional people will express their feeling values, the colder I will get. Being overtly emotional feels kind of fake to me and I cant go along.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Enneagram becomes useful at this point. INFP E4s are generally regarded as the most common and, to me, fit the 'typical' INFP description a bit better than other Enneagram types.

I find myself relating to the INFP E4, but at the same time don't handle my emotions the same way they do.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by dorareever View Post
    I've been called insensitive by some Fe types because my empathy is all embracing, and, yes, impersonal.
    Me too. Cold, unfeeling, unsocial and so on.