User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Introverted Intuitionists' eyes/Tell-tale signs?

I believe I can spot these types, (or at least I'm confident with INFJ's) because of the peculiar manner that their eyes move and focus. Granted, not all of them have this trait- but when I see it, I know it. It's almost as if they are detached somehow. It's like her head is in the clouds, but she's taking in the situation at the same time. It's similar to being able to tell if someone is daydreaming.

Has anybody else noticed this? Or any other 'signs' for types?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    I believe I can spot these types, (or at least I'm confident with INFJ's) because of the peculiar manner that their eyes move and focus. Granted, not all of them have this trait- but when I see it, I know it. It's almost as if they are detached somehow. It's like her head is in the clouds, but she's taking in the situation at the same time. It's similar to being able to tell if someone is daydreaming.

Maybe it's worth doing an experiment and seeing how many Ni's you can pick out of a crowd using solely your methodology.

No, I'm not aware of any such signs. Broad traits, perhaps, can be recognized in a very broad way; but such a general behavior could have a multiplicity of origins and the signifier you mention could exist for more than the trait you're describing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I am well aware of the practical use of visual identification. There may be those who can type everyone with high reliability, however I am not yet one of them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I notice something like this, although I can't consciously pinpoint it in people. I usually just get a feeling -- aha, they look like they're taking in information a certain way. Later, I may attach the INJ label to them.

MBTI
    INFP

My husband says he can tell when I'm eavesdropping when we're in a restaurant by the look in my eyes while we have a conversation.

I'm not sure that it's as much an INFP trait as it is that sort of "vacant" look a lot of people get when their thoughts are elsewhere. But perhaps, as prone as we are to "multitasking," we would have that preoccupied look more often than the types who have consistent power of concentration.

I was wondering if there is a connection between eyes and INFPs, though. It is said we have difficulty with eye contact. And I've noticed on INFPgc that there is an abundance of avatars where eyes play a predominant part.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I am well aware of the practical use of visual identification. There may be those who can type everyone with high reliability, however I am not yet one of them.

I have observed this in action in a professional setting and have grown to respect it.

I don't know that it can be learned by studying a list in a book, though. More by experience.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

You should've noticed this trait in yourself too sir....
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I have observed this in action in a professional setting and have grown to respect it.

I don't know that it can be learned by studying a list in a book, though. More by experience.
    Yes, I totally agree.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Actually Jung did mention in one of his books that you can, most of the times, tell a person is an N or an S by the look of his eyes.... Ns would look more detached, and Ss would have a look of "Can't you tell I'm looking at you?!"

So I wouldn't think it's a idiosyncratic trait of Ni only.
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Personally, since my Ne never really seems to shut off, I'm always aware of the different possibilities that someone could be- it's pretty natural. I kind of have eight possibilities that I start with, extraversion vs introversion is pretty easy to define quickly. Then I kind of have the possibilities "ranked," not in a typical way, but I see some of the Types larger than others, or in a brighter color or just somehow more prominently. Their mannerisms are 'automatically' noted and the more prominent Types begin to change. Once enough "evidence" has presented itself, and the other possibilities look very small, I send them an e-mail outlining the functions and a post of their type from Bluewing! (that part is true a lot of the time, even though it's kind of weird...)