• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Introverted Intuitionists' eyes/Tell-tale signs?

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
I believe I can spot these types, (or at least I'm confident with INFJ's) because of the peculiar manner that their eyes move and focus. Granted, not all of them have this trait- but when I see it, I know it. It's almost as if they are detached somehow. It's like her head is in the clouds, but she's taking in the situation at the same time. It's similar to being able to tell if someone is daydreaming.

Has anybody else noticed this? Or any other 'signs' for types?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe I can spot these types, (or at least I'm confident with INFJ's) because of the peculiar manner that their eyes move and focus. Granted, not all of them have this trait- but when I see it, I know it. It's almost as if they are detached somehow. It's like her head is in the clouds, but she's taking in the situation at the same time. It's similar to being able to tell if someone is daydreaming.

Maybe it's worth doing an experiment and seeing how many Ni's you can pick out of a crowd using solely your methodology.

No, I'm not aware of any such signs. Broad traits, perhaps, can be recognized in a very broad way; but such a general behavior could have a multiplicity of origins and the signifier you mention could exist for more than the trait you're describing.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I am well aware of the practical use of visual identification. There may be those who can type everyone with high reliability, however I am not yet one of them.

redacted

I notice something like this, although I can't consciously pinpoint it in people. I usually just get a feeling -- aha, they look like they're taking in information a certain way. Later, I may attach the INJ label to them.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
My husband says he can tell when I'm eavesdropping when we're in a restaurant by the look in my eyes while we have a conversation.

I'm not sure that it's as much an INFP trait as it is that sort of "vacant" look a lot of people get when their thoughts are elsewhere. But perhaps, as prone as we are to "multitasking," we would have that preoccupied look more often than the types who have consistent power of concentration.

I was wondering if there is a connection between eyes and INFPs, though. It is said we have difficulty with eye contact. And I've noticed on INFPgc that there is an abundance of avatars where eyes play a predominant part.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I am well aware of the practical use of visual identification. There may be those who can type everyone with high reliability, however I am not yet one of them.

I have observed this in action in a professional setting and have grown to respect it.

I don't know that it can be learned by studying a list in a book, though. More by experience.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx

You should've noticed this trait in yourself too sir....

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have observed this in action in a professional setting and have grown to respect it.

I don't know that it can be learned by studying a list in a book, though. More by experience.
Yes, I totally agree.

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx

Actually Jung did mention in one of his books that you can, most of the times, tell a person is an N or an S by the look of his eyes.... Ns would look more detached, and Ss would have a look of "Can't you tell I'm looking at you?!"

So I wouldn't think it's a idiosyncratic trait of Ni only.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP

Personally, since my Ne never really seems to shut off, I'm always aware of the different possibilities that someone could be- it's pretty natural. I kind of have eight possibilities that I start with, extraversion vs introversion is pretty easy to define quickly. Then I kind of have the possibilities "ranked," not in a typical way, but I see some of the Types larger than others, or in a brighter color or just somehow more prominently. Their mannerisms are 'automatically' noted and the more prominent Types begin to change. Once enough "evidence" has presented itself, and the other possibilities look very small, I send them an e-mail outlining the functions and a post of their type from Bluewing! (that part is true a lot of the time, even though it's kind of weird...)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes I think I should have joined the circus as I'm very good at guessing people's ages and occupations.

Good at reading moods, too.

Even people who think they are poker-faced will often have a "tell" of some sort.

Of course, if it's an unpleasant emotion they are trying to hide they will usually vehemently deny that they are experiencing it.

One day at my MIL's house her neighbor, whom I had not met, came into the kitchen, took a long, deep look into my eyes and I also engaged her gaze. Sometimes this can be a hostile thing with people, but this didn't feel that way.

After a moment she whispered to me. "Ooh, you're a deep one." It wasn't said like a compliment. More like a recognition.

I've never experienced something like that before but I suspect that she was a fellow INFPer.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Then I kind of have the possibilities "ranked," not in a typical way, but I see some of the Types larger than others, or in a brighter color or just somehow more prominently.

Same for me in RL. I am just now beginning to practice typing people by reading their words. It's a whole other animal for me.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I do sometimes have this look in my eyes when I am day dreaming that sometimes makes people say things like "are you all right" or "what's wrong." Those are the polite versions, anyway.

When I have to think deeply on things I sometimes "go inside" for a brief time. It happens during conversation as well. If I have to "go inside" briefly before I can answer I do get a certain look on in my eyes. My therapist has remarked on it.

Occasionally I will even close my eyes briefly to think, but I only with my husband, because he is accepting of it. I probably think more effectively that way, but it is not really acceptable in normal conversation.

I don't think I have it all the time though. I think I only get it when I am discussing something deep or something very "internal" like my feeling or values. For surface level discussion, small talk, etc. I think my eyes still look normal.

Of course during small talk, I sometimes daydream with another part of mind.

Ilah

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
for me the eyes are tell-tale if he is an F or T, maybe even S-N but i can't realize if he is Ni or Ne simply by looking at them
but then again, i dont think one needs to look into one's eyes to see if he is Ni or Ne, Ni is usually more static, while Ne is all over the place :D

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
You can type anyone based on eyes and on body language. As far as defining it...well thats a whole different story.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've never noticed the detachment of others (probably too detached myself) and I'm wondering if S preferences might pick up on it faster than the N preference people anyway.

I HAVE seen the look on an S before though and remember thinking 'wow... their eyes look so... alive'. For me to even notice something like that is weird, but to have it stick with me is even stranger. I usually find out later that those people have the S preference.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Personally, since my Ne never really seems to shut off, I'm always aware of the different possibilities that someone could be- it's pretty natural. I kind of have eight possibilities that I start with, extraversion vs introversion is pretty easy to define quickly. Then I kind of have the possibilities "ranked," not in a typical way, but I see some of the Types larger than others, or in a brighter color or just somehow more prominently. Their mannerisms are 'automatically' noted and the more prominent Types begin to change. Once enough "evidence" has presented itself, and the other possibilities look very small, I send them an e-mail outlining the functions and a post of their type from Bluewing! (that part is true a lot of the time, even though it's kind of weird...)

just wondering: how do you determine introversion and extraversion so quickly?

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
I think some people are definitely able to read others in a way. I'm probably too spacey myself to notice when other people are being spacey, but I have friends who mention things like, 'that person looks lost', etc. If it's really obvious I might notice. Sometimes I can feel people on the same wavelength and I imagine most of them to be INs or maybe NPs of sorts or something. I love hitting wavelengths with people.

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
Sometimes i could swear I was alert and listening attentively to the conversation, yet I'll be accused of having a vacant look in my eyes. That's probably because a corner of my mind is engaged with analysing what personality the person could possibly be, or replaying something that happened during the day, or just wondering what I'll have for lunch. I think it's very rare that I give my 100% to a person (unless I'm totally in love/awe with/of them) and I'm often accused of looking blank.

I love hitting wavelengths too, but I've only REALLY clicked with sadly very few, very few people.