User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I was in band for 5~6 years playing Tuba, from 6th grade to halfway through my junior year and actually aspired well (ex: placing first chair region band in tuba at a middle school level in the 4th largest city in the US in 8th grade). I appreciate music, understand harmonics and melodics, know most the little italian and latin terms on the sheet music, etc.
    Why do I mention this? Simple: I'm proving that I have knowledge and passion with complex music because I'm about to throw all that out the window in my next paragraph.

Throughout the years, I've gone through phases, obsessing over genres of music that seem to break all the rules about structure and music in general. Throughout the latter part of my childhood, I was a Nirvanaholic, bathing my mind in grunge music and enjoying the occasional dissonance involved inbetween the shredding guitar chords, even studying other grunge bands. I would find the odd songs that nobody remembers from bands everyone's heard of in that category.
    In just the past 3 years, I did a 180 in terms of music obsession. I got into rap. At first it was gangsta rap and Chopped & Screwed Texas rap (youtube it), and then I discovered horrorcore. Now, I'm constantly listening to ICP, Twiztid, Tech N9ne, Dark Lotus, and all of the wicked clown music that is more talking than singing with grinding voices, rhyming words with sound effects, and about half of the music is themed around killing or getting high.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    INFP

I want generalisations! Generalisations rule the world and rule MBTI!

I've grown up with different kinds of music. My father plays Hindustani classical music, listens to Western classical, my brother plays the guitar, and we've always had LPs and tapes playing at home in the background. Whatever the music is, if I like it, I get lost in it and need to listen to it again and again. And whatever association I form with that song/tune satys with me for a very very very VERY long time. In fact I don't think it ever goes away. I cry at songs. The movie playing in my head for them is sometimes so sad and there's so much loneliness that I cry for perfectly normal-sounding songs.
    I 78% N 62% F 62% P 67%
    [From http://www.humanmetrics.com]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you want to see the Indian sun?
    It's shining into my green eyes,
    Dappling my fur a patchy brown,
    Brightening up my spotty white.

Purr...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I definitely listen to the same music over and over. I generally find that I can either listen to a song repeatedly, or I don't want to listen to it even once in the first place. Just last night, I put on "Part of Me" from Liz Phair's Somebody's Miracles Sessons, and about an hour passed before I realized I should possibly switch to something else.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Just spent the last few hours at work with Phantom of the Opera and Toreador playing over and over cause they move me... I'm not and eff! It just sends my Fi crazy

I'd say this fits;
    Quote Originally Posted by katerp
    DEFINITELY. I listen to the same playlists over and over again. And I lsiten to music all day. Pretty much if I'm not in class, I'm listening to music. Hell, I'm listening to music right now. The first thing I do when I turn on my computer is open up iTunes and get my music situated. My strong Fi is definitely involved in my music because I internalize the feeling of every song I listen to. Whatever emotion the song is conveying, I take on. My music absolutely has to fit my mood and my environment. Sometimes there's one particular part of a song -- could be a line I really relate to or a note I think sounds amazing -- that I'll play over and over again. And I would say my N is involved too because I often have images, alomst like internal storylines that come to me when I'm listening to certain songs. I sometimes take music to weird places by intepreting the sound (both the actual music or the feeling I think the instruments portray) to symbolize something...like deciding that a song sounds like an ocean or a forest or something equally peculiar.

MBTI
    INFP

Default playing DJ

Quote Originally Posted by milti girl View Post

And often, I find myself having to think a lot when making a playlist that the whole room is going to hear (even if it's just me and my room mate.) I find myself feeling conscious and agonizing over every decision, and picking out songs not based on my taste but what I hope they will like.
    I totally identify with this. I HATE playing DJ or being responsible for the music other people will listen to. I'd rather have someone else decide--it's like I get confused between what I like and what I imagine other people will like, or which music will create which mood, and suddenly I'm wracked with indecision and self-consciousness.

When I'm alone, however, I definitely listen to songs/albums over and over and over, until I cannot possibly stand to hear them again. This drove my college roommate (an ESTP) absolutely insane, even though I tried to hide this tendency from her.
    "All that you've loved is all you own." Tom Waits

MBTI
    ENFJ

Fascinating question.

I'm an ENFJ....and music is one of the most important things in my life. I don't just 'hear it'.....I 'feel it'....and I will listen to the same song over and over and over again for years.

I haven't read everyone's response...what is the theory behind why we do this??
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. --- Maya Angelou

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

^^ I'm not seeing that it's type related, at any rate .
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP

^ Really? I'm seeing NF - or at least N - involved.
    I 78% N 62% F 62% P 67%
    [From http://www.humanmetrics.com]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you want to see the Indian sun?
    It's shining into my green eyes,
    Dappling my fur a patchy brown,
    Brightening up my spotty white.

Purr...

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

:steam: I'm not an eff and I relate damnit! Please throw NF theory out the window

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Hmm and as for ya know working out theories n all, it's a question posed in the NF section of a forum heavily occupied by N types... jess saying.