User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'd attribute my obsessions with certain songs more to Se than to Ni or Fe. Well, maybe Fe... Couldn't see why it would be much of an N thing, though.

Good music turns off my N.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

DEFINITELY. I listen to the same playlists over and over again. And I lsiten to music all day. Pretty much if I'm not in class, I'm listening to music. Hell, I'm listening to music right now. The first thing I do when I turn on my computer is open up iTunes and get my music situated. My strong Fi is definitely involved in my music because I internalize the feeling of every song I listen to. Whatever emotion the song is conveying, I take on. My music absolutely has to fit my mood and my environment. Sometimes there's one particular part of a song -- could be a line I really relate to or a note I think sounds amazing -- that I'll play over and over again. And I would say my N is involved too because I often have images, alomst like internal storylines that come to me when I'm listening to certain songs. I sometimes take music to weird places by intepreting the sound (both the actual music or the feeling I think the instruments portray) to symbolize something...like deciding that a song sounds like an ocean or a forest or something equally peculiar.

MBTI
    NeXx
    Socionics
    IeE

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Genius! I totally agree. Good music pulls you down, off the clouds
    "Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters"

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    I'd attribute my obsessions with certain songs more to Se than to Ni or Fe. Well, maybe Fe... Couldn't see why it would be much of an N thing, though.

Good music turns off my T as well

MBTI
    INFP

you know,
    i'm actually glad that there're people like you guys..
    because if you see the tendency nowadays in our modern society, music seems to be so vastly abundant and available for FREE (ie: internet, downloads), that i've heard that it's just become a 'disposable' thing quickly. ie: people listen to like 100 songs in a day w/ their ipod player, and then they 'dispose' it, find another 100 new artists to download, listen, and then they dispose 'em again, find another 100 new artists again, listen, dispose, and so on..you got the idea.

and i'm a musician (although still a part-time) ,
    and sometimes this thing just kinda make me confused, as if the music in a whole become easily-disposable like that, then where's the VALUE of it? where's the VALUE of each song?..
    sometimes i even lost hope to this "instant" generation of music listeners.. (and especially after seeing how music becoming more of a "commercial tools" used by marketing & product & brand people nowadays!..it's not supposed to be like that!)

BUT, i'm so thankful for this thread, because it brings back my FAITH again , that indeed, music is not that "easily disposible", especially - i've just found out - not for NFs
    it's people like you guys that make me feel that there's still a 'purpose' for me to continue my path/journey to become a real full-time musician, and stay ahold of it, and not getting swayed by often-occuring questions like "does this have a purpose? or not?"

thank you!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

to niki

there will always be the mainstream and the underground railroad

one leads to freedom-cultivated and fought for-flowering above ground, proudly and staunch

and the other is smooth sailing, requires no work, and eventually leads to a 100ft drop ;
    watered down and washed away
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by katerp View Post
    DEFINITELY. I listen to the same playlists over and over again. And I lsiten to music all day. Pretty much if I'm not in class, I'm listening to music. Hell, I'm listening to music right now. The first thing I do when I turn on my computer is open up iTunes and get my music situated. My strong Fi is definitely involved in my music because I internalize the feeling of every song I listen to. Whatever emotion the song is conveying, I take on. My music absolutely has to fit my mood and my environment. Sometimes there's one particular part of a song -- could be a line I really relate to or a note I think sounds amazing -- that I'll play over and over again. And I would say my N is involved too because I often have images, alomst like internal storylines that come to me when I'm listening to certain songs. I sometimes take music to weird places by intepreting the sound (both the actual music or the feeling I think the instruments portray) to symbolize something...like deciding that a song sounds like an ocean or a forest or something equally peculiar.

Yes, this is exactly what I experience; I couldn't have said it better. I have an overwhelming Fi, and I suppose that dictates much of my music-listening. Often people don't understand why I choose to listen to the music I do. My friends find it very boring when they realise that I'm playing the same songs they've already heard me play before. Even when I dance, I love the more trance-type stuff that's played - I enjoy the heavy beat-based dance music, too, but only if I'm in a mood to socalise. If I want to be by myself I prefer different music.

And often, I find myself having to think a lot when making a playlist that the whole room is going to hear (even if it's just me and my room mate.) I find myself feeling conscious and agonizing over every decision, and picking out songs not based on my taste but what I hope they will like.
    I 78% N 62% F 62% P 67%
    [From http://www.humanmetrics.com]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you want to see the Indian sun?
    It's shining into my green eyes,
    Dappling my fur a patchy brown,
    Brightening up my spotty white.

Purr...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I listen to the same song over and over again as well. Usually from the same artist that I happened to be obsessed with at the moment. Then after about a month (or sometimes longer) I'll get sick of it and stop listening. Then after a few month's break, I'll pick it up again and become re-obsessed.

Why are people saying that this has anything to do with F? Just curious.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

^ Me too. Listen till I get sick of it than come back later and hope I haven't destroyed it for good by listening repetitively. Definitely not a F thing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Everybody is completely different when it comes to music. Making generalities about it is well...piontless. Now that I said that, I'm going to make generalities lol. When it comes to music each type is different, but their are some patterns. Types with Fe (in XNFJs) seem to like emotional hooks in music (and I've found they like to listen to a song on repeat if it has a "hook" they really enjoy). Ni (im still figuring that out, probably has to do with structure). Fi (in XNFPs) seem to like music that is "authentic" (ive found that they can almost immediately pick out music that an artist wrote when going through and emotional episode) and music is very personal to them. Ne (i almost dont want to write this but again, this seems to do with song structure. for me, I like build and like a good balance of instruments).

But remember, you can have XNFPs that like rap, or country, or metal, or indie or whatever. Same with XNFJs. It's not what you listen to, its why. SO, all that to say, I dont think that NFs alone listen to music over and over again. I personally cant.

PS- my ENFJ friend listens to songs on repeat. As does my ENTP friend. (Fe maybe...)
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1