• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do NF's tend to have low, medium, or high self-esteem?

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't really think self esteem levels are related to type.

I do think different types base their self esteem on different things.

MBTI Type
ENTP
overanalysis never yields "was that a poop joke?"

I think NF self-esteem seems either low or high and rarely in between.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think NF self-esteem seems either low or high and rarely in between.

Where did you get that from, INTP? Sounds like a load of crap to me. Complete bull $#!t.

^poop joke

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'd say probably low. We are naturally more affected by life due to our feelings side :cry: and think very deeply into our feelings due to our intuitive side :coffee:. What would you say?
Hmm, as a kid I had exceptionally high self-esteem and then during adolescence I had somewhat low self esteem, (which I believe is relatively normal ;) ), and as a young adult I would say that I have a reasonably high self esteem.

I would imagine that many, if not most, ENFPs would have higher self-esteems than most.

It takes a strong sense of self to stick up for yourself or someone else for something you believe in, in other words, although we shy away from certain things, over all, we ENFPs are not the pussy type, and courage takes confidence.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I have very high self esteem. I had low self esteem when I was like 10, but it's gone up from there, with only a few blips in the road since. In grade 8, a girl went around my class asking who the other kids thought had the highest self esteem. Everyone said I did :D

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Self esteem bases from your childhood more than anything else. I dont think personality type excludes anyone from having high or low amounts, though I do think ENFPs in particular have high self esteem (or god complexes)

we ENFPs are not the pussy type

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
any type can have high or low self esteem. some types make it more or less obvious though

redacted

Connecting this sort of thing to MBTI doesn't really make any sense.

Self-esteem is almost entirely an environmental factor.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I agree with the people who say it's not related to type.

Out of the NFs I know, it seems to average out at about medium self esteem. There's one INFJ who's self-esteem is ridiculously low, one ENFP with fairly low self-esteem, and one INFP with really high self-esteem, but most of them fall somewhere in the middle.

I'd say the corrolation is more between perceived self-esteem and type, like NFs might appear to have low self-esteem when really they're trying to be modest. Kind of the opposite sort of thing as the NT's perceived confidance.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I think it depends on life exerperiences. NTs, SJs, SPs all can suffer from low self-esteem if they went through some crappy times growing up- emotional abuse, for instance- are wounds that people commonly cover up, but it takes years and years to heal.

Even if a person appears to be smiling/happy, it doesn't mean that they're not suffering from low self-esteem/depression. Some people have a better way of masking it.

For those who don't deal with it effectively, they resort to really anal-retentive disorders like OCD in order to deal with their anxiety. Others build up unhealthy habits such as over-working, becoming over accoplished because they feel a need to please/impress. That's also a result of a poor self-esteem.

I think everyone has their own issues. The severity depends on their life stories. Some people are dealt a really shitty deck of cards in life, while others aren't. The key thing is to deal with it in a way that we retain our sense of self/authenticity/valuebleness by saying "I'm good enough. I deserve better." It's about walking away from situations that aren't working, establishing healthy boundaries/learning. Life's tough, but it doesn't always have to be. Hang in there!

Last edited:

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
probably low or medium.
mgiht be because we usually have high expectations on almsot everything.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
to answer your title. they have low, medium, and high. just like every other personality type.

NashK

MBTI Type
INFP
I read the most amazing book on self esteem called the Six Pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Branden. One of his pillars are self assertiveness. I wonder if feeling types who are naturally more sensitive have a harder time being assertive.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
That so depends on what kind of NF we're talking about...

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think INFs tend to come across sometimes as though we have very low self esteem, because we arent typically out in the crowd introducing ourselves and trying to get to know everyone.

But personally I have very medium self esteem which can be affected sometimes day to day depending on circumstances, ppl, etc.

(Very Medium... XD)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...i think mine is high...but then...i'm also pretty sensitive (although i really hate to admit it)...so...how high can it be if i'm so sensitive?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
hmmm...i think mine is high...but then...i'm also pretty sensitive (although i really hate to admit it)...so...how high can it be if i'm so sensitive?

I think someone can have a very high self-esteem, but one that is also fragile to a degree. Makes sense.