• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do NF's tend to have low, medium, or high self-esteem?

NashK

MBTI Type
INFP
I'd say probably low. We are naturally more affected by life due to our feelings side :cry: and think very deeply into our feelings due to our intuitive side :coffee:. What would you say?

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I have a high self-esteem and I appreciate myself, and I see no reason why my F would make me feel worse about myself... :huh: I think it's more about attitude and maturity than functions.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yeah, low, especially INFPs. Just an observation...*sidestep*

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
While we may be more sensitive to stuff, we're also introspective, have pretty good emotional intelligence, have a strong desire to evolve and develop ourselves, and to seek therapy when needed. I don't see why the pros wouldn't counter the cons fairly well.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'd say probably low. We are naturally more affected by life due to our feelings side :cry: and think very deeply into our feelings due to our intuitive side :coffee:. What would you say?

I'm not sure why you think NFs have low self-esteem. How does being affected by life or thinking deeply give one low self-esteem (I'm not neccessarily disagreeing, I just don't know)?

How affected we are by life is also related to introversion/extroversion, and only relates to self-esteem if you derive your value (as judged by Feeling?) from your external environment. This makes me think ENFx's may tend to be less consistent in their self-esteem (to fluctuate with external circumstances).

What I think of myself doesn't change too much, but how I feel about myself definitely fluctuates to some degree with the feedback I get from others. I hate that...

Lalaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I have low self-esteem sometimes, but I cannot help it if my skin is fussy or that I look like a fourteen year old when I am almost twenty. :'(

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
There are so many factors that can raise or lower someone's self esteem that are beyond the scope of MBTI. How does being an NF negatively amplify any of them? Some people have low self-esteem because they feel they have little to no control over their lives, poor self-image, anything.

I just can't help but find questions when people try to correlate larger human being issues to smaller type issues silly. Maybe it is an INFP thing. :run:

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I don't have any issue with my self esteem. My confidence level is actually very high for 99% of the time.

I just can't help but find questions when people try to correlate larger human being issues to smaller type issues silly. Maybe it is an INFP thing. :run:
:coffee:

I don't think it's a common problem for all NFs... maybe just for some INFPs.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah my self-esteem could be better...maybe it is an infp (minority) thing. It'd be interesting to understand where that lack of self-esteem came from. I know where mine comes from but I don't know how to get out of it without help from a friend I would be feeling down pretty often and wouldn't value myself....(maybe it's hormones or teenage thing who knows.xD)

Brutus01

MBTI Type
INFP
all the infps i know, including myself, have low self esteem

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
I'm most probably INFP and my self esteem is just fine on average.

Averaging makes things appear so regular and stable! :D

V

violaine

Not sure about other NFs, I have pretty healthy self-esteem. I used to have lower self-esteem when I was younger. I pulled myself out of it.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
We are naturally more affected by life due to our feelings side :cry: and think very deeply into our feelings due to our intuitive side

This is true, so that we might seem less self-confident than the ST folks who naturally "fit" in the world because they have the majority. But, I see self-esteem in a way that you need to first see how weak you actually are and only then you can overcome your fears. This I see as true self-confidence, while the other kind of self-confidence comes from external conditions, for example from how successful you are.

NF are likely to take the world personally and feel put down by it, but that only makes it more likely for them to adjust their mind and find something inside them that cannot be taken away.

Besides that, some of the mentally strongest people I've seen have been NFs. They were not only self-confident but genuinely wise in the way they lived. But, it's a long and hard way to get there. None of them was young.

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't have a low self esteem. I don't know why people think most INFP's have low self-esteem. Is it because we don't act like "salt" you know how salt is in almost everything. We keep low profiles, can be withdrawn and pensive which people mistake for being depressed, when we are simply observing and thinking. I think INFP's with low self esteem are probably just too wrapped up in trying to make themselves "impeccable" and "ideal" we can be terrible perfectionists and we are hardest on ourselves. Perfection in everything is virtually impossible and trying to achieve it can leave one bummed out and make the world seem especially hard and cold to a "feeling" oriented person. Once I let go of that nasty habit I realized that I was okay and my self esteem went way up. Not that I accept mediocrity I just know when to simmer the perfectionist tendency and to be as lenient with myself as I am with others when they make mistakes.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm most probably INFP and my self esteem is just fine on average.

Averaging makes things appear so regular and stable! :D

Answer: Carrots

This may be the most rediculous question I've ever asked, but... was that a poop joke? (refering to the "regular" of the Activia comercials?) How do you connect carrots with averaging? I'm so lost...

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This is true, so that we might seem less self-confident than the ST folks who naturally "fit" in the world because they have the majority. But, I see self-esteem in a way that you need to first see how weak you actually are and only then you can overcome your fears. This I see as true self-confidence, while the other kind of self-confidence comes from external conditions, for example from how successful you are.

NF are likely to take the world personally and feel put down by it, but that only makes it more likely for them to adjust their mind and find something inside them that cannot be taken away.

Besides that, some of the mentally strongest people I've seen have been NFs. They were not only self-confident but genuinely wise in the way they lived. But, it's a long and hard way to get there. None of them was young.

I don't think it's an ST thing, it may be a more general extroverted judgment thing. Extroverted judgment is excellent at helping to assess norms which are large contributors to what "successful" and "healthy" self-esteem is.

Although I was being cheeky before, I notice that INFPs tend to start this kind of thread the most and I wonder if there really is something to it. Which is odd because Fi seems like the function most capable of cultivating a healthy self-image.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
This may be the most rediculous question I've ever asked, but... was that a poop joke? (refering to the "regular" of the Activia comercials?) How do you connect carrots with averaging? I'm so lost...
Where on Earth??? Sciski is a rabbit, it's an easy one....

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
It's a complicated issue on my behalf, but, even to my own surprise, I'd say my self-esteem is actually very high. I'm still a bit shy and quiet in groups of people, but I'm very happy about myself and I don't try to please people (consequently, as I have quite a strong personality and opinions, many try to please me and that faking annoys the hell out of me).

Mighty Mouse

MBTI Type
ENFP
I define high self esteem as someone who accepts who they are and moves forward with confidence knowing they don't have to be perfect just doing their best.

I fit this definition.

I don't think it has to do with type. Self acceptance is about reaching a certain level of self awareness and accepting maturity. There is value in all the types. Therefore, I think that high self esteem is available to any one willing to deconstruct and reconstruct themselves in a more positive way...