• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ and divorce from reality?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"The extravert would say : "Reality does not exist for him, he gives himself up to fruitless fantasies." The perception of the images of the unconscious, produced in such inexhaustible abundance by the creative energy of life, is of course fruitless from the standpoint of immediate utility. But since these images represent possible views of the world which may give life a new potential, this function, which to the outside world is the strangest of all, is as indispensable to the total psychic economy as is the corresponding human type to the psychic life of a people. Had this type not existed, there would have been no prophets in Israel." Psychological Types, P.400

The INFJ has the propensity to be divorced from reality because their perceiving function is introverted. Introversion naturally defines the external environment in terms of how it relates to the self and not how it is in its own right. Thus the external environment is distorted by the internal unconscious predispositions of the INFJ.

"Even with only a slight increase in the power of the unconscious, the subjective component of sensation becomes so alive that it almost completely obscures the influence of the object. If the object is a person, he feels completely devalued, while the subject has an illusory conception of reality, which in pathological cases goes so far that he is no longer able to distinguish between the real object and the subjective perceptions....Actually he lives in a mythological world, where men, animals, locomotives, houses, rivers, and mountains appear either as benevolent deities or as malevolent demons. That they appear thus to him never enters his head, though that is just the effect they have on his judgments and actions. He judges and acts as though he had such powers to deal with; but this begins to strike him only when he discovers that his sensations are totally different from reality." Psychological Types, Introverted Sensing.

Very similar statements could be made about Introverted Sensing. However, Introverted Sensing is much more grounded in reality because of its affinity with the concrete world. The distorted perceptions of Introverted Intuition can stretch as far as the imagination of this type would allow, which we know is very far as Introverted Intuition is in closest affinity with imagination of all types. Because it is not restricted by the Judgment of Thinking, not nearly as much as the INTJ type, the INFJ is almost indubitably the most Intuitive type. In this context, however, it is not at all a good thing. As many of the worldviews produced are manifestly a form of madness. Besides this, what are the other reasons why such an 'insane' worldview may emerge? We know that we naturally have a negative attitude towards the functions and attitudes we are not in close affinity with. In the case of the INFJ, it is the Extroverted Sensing. Thus the attitude is most negative towards extroverted sensing.

The INFJ shares the attitude of the classical Keirseyan SJ who is profoundly pessimistic about the external world and is very security conscious. Yet in the case of the INFJ such attitude is far more ingenious! In effect they have a very abstract model of 'the whole world is trying to screw me!'.

Another reason for this is Introverted Thinking is also aimed at the subject. Thus there is also an aversion to problems of the external world. Unlike a strong, objective introverted thinking type, the Thinking of the INFJ is underdeveloped. Thus in addition to the persecution mania induced by the abstract vision of Ni a similar vision emerges as a result of malfunctioning Thinking. Thinking is not only negative towards the external world because of introversion, or for the same reason as Intuition, but also because this function in itself is under-developed. Thus it inevitably conjures negative thoughts about the world of impersonal occurences. One is only to imagine how much those could be magnified by the vision of Introverted Intuition.

I suppose one shall request examples of such INFJ insanity.

1)Arthur Schopenhauer-All Willing is evil because it is selfish. It is selfish to will to live. Selfishness by definition causes suffering. Because everything wills, everything is evil. Thus the whole world is out to screw me! The whole world is out to screw me. There is 1000 page treatise (2 volumes) of World as Will and Representation written to support such a view. In addition to this, a very large collection of essays which span well over a 1000 pages as well.

2)Fyodor Dostoevsky-Believed that the Russian soil is sacred and just like Israel, it is God's chosen nation. God has purposefully put it through suffering as part of his plan to redeem it greatly in the end. One of his characters, Kirilov from the Possessed believed that Jesus Christ shall return in Russia, which is hardly an exaggeration of Dostoevksy's views.

INFJs also tend to be foolhardy about such convictions because Introverted Intuition is fundamental to their inner life. Thus their sense of self is often defined by their hunches, this gives them every reasoning to cling to them. Unlike a Thinking type, the INFJ is often unable to rationally analyze their hunches, thus this gives them another reason to cling to them as if their whole sense of self-worth is contingent upon them. Thinking, of course is sub-servient to Intuition and often only considers rationales that feel to be in favor of the vision and discard those that are not.

Extroverted Feeling evokes a feeling of appreciation for ideas that support the vision and a feeling of depreciation for those that do not. Such prejudice has been a powerful weapon to keep the INFJ frozen in their irrational vision.

Important note: The above problems could be rectified through cultivation of the facultes of Extroversion, Sensation and Thinking. Thus this is not 'fate' for the INFJ!

redacted

Yes, these are all potential problems for the INFJ. The trick is to develop both judging functions. These functions will throw out intuitions that either don't make sense or are not applicable to reality. Se is also a good function to develop, although it's much harder to tackle as it is essentially the opposite of Ni, the dominant.

That said, I'm definitely more divorced from reality than almost anyone I know. It all seems so arbitrary. Luckily, I have an easier time with Ti than any other INFJ I've interacted with, giving my internal world more order than one would guess. But this has come at the cost of developing my extroverted functions, and my biggest problem with life is implementing my ideas.

I honestly haven't come across any INFJs that are like what you are describing...or at least, none my age. That seems to be the extreme worst case.

More healthy INFJs are actually pretty well off. I'd consider dominant Ni a blessing; we can follow our own paths of thought further than most types, and as other functions are developed, we can have a world-view that is much more holistic than...well...any other type.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd consider dominant Ni a blessing; we can follow our own paths of thought further than most types, and as other functions are developed, we can have a world-view that is much more holistic than...well...any other type.

Its true that Ni is very individualistic, though it doesnt easily follow a clear-cut path because the nature of this function is very amorphous. The quality you described is clearly attributable only to Ti.

redacted

Okay. But Ni feeds Ti an internal and depth based set of premises unlike the breadth based premises of Ne.

redacted

One huge problem with INFJs, though, is that it's quite hard for them to clearly express their ideas (ideas = induction(N) + deduction(T)) since both N and T are executed in internal language. Some extroverted function has to translate everything. NTs have at least one of T or N already in the language of the external world.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay. But Ni feeds Ti an internal and depth based set of premises unlike the breadth based premises of Ne.

Yes this is the advantage the INFJ holds over NTPs, should Ti be soundly developed.

redacted

To get there, though, is the hard part...

Luckily my dad is INTP and discussed many ideas with me throughout my childhood :)

But yeah, the divorce from reality is still quite a problem. NTPs are better at ideas that pertain to current discussions, and better at articulation (generally).

sleepless

MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh well... I can see these problems, but it seems a little bit exaggerated to me. I have read some excerpts of Schopenhauer, and I think he has some interesting points (I didn't even know he was INFJ, by the way). What worries me about Dostoyevsky is the nationalism rather than the religious language. Remember that almost all people were religious at that time, not just Fs or INFJs. Religion in the past has always "made sense". So I don't think you can say that Dostoyevsky would have needed to spend more time with his T, and then everything would have been fine. Also don't neglect the great things many INFJs have done for the world, for example Nelson Mandela, Mohandas Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King. And this was probably also Dostoyevsky's aim, to help "save the world", though his compassion might have been narrowed down to "Russians".

I think the "salvation" for an INFJ lies in Se, if any function. I'm thinking of starting a thread on that some time.

I think we have to be respectful of each other's MBTI differences, or we could end up thinking "everyone should be my type". BlueWing, you seem to put a high value on logic and "the truth" in a Ti fashion. But an INFJ doesn't value that as highly, yet is often very concerned with the truth on another "wavelength". Also remember that Ni is the ultimate function for thinking outside the box, which I suppose is something you do value.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Its true that Ni is very individualistic, though it doesnt easily follow a clear-cut path because the nature of this function is very amorphous. The quality you described is clearly attributable only to Ti.

Eh, i'd say that what you'd define as following a path of thought and what I'd define are two different things. Ti would be logical, mine would be pursuing the idea I've come up with to imaginary fruition, playing out scenarios in my head. The one I choose usually plays out well in reality.

Every type has a best, fully developed manifestation and every type can degenerate by falling into its traps. INTPs, for example, so intent on follow-through on clear solution to a problem that they don't consider the consequences if their solution falls into the hands of other people. Or (what I often end up coaching them on) difficulty relating to others through Fe which blocks effective implementation of their ideas.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh, reality is overrated.

And so is 'thinking.'

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Meh. My INTP spouse and I both experience reality as a harsh unpleasantness and neither of us seem to really have the advantage over the other in dealing with it. We both just sort of limp along out in the world and come home to hide with our books and computers. And each other. We're pretty certain we are the only two reasonable people in the whole, insane world.

Go away reality! Nobody wants you! :tongue10:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm aware of the difference between reality (if by reality you mean what the senses perceive) and imagination. I can even survive in reality. But I prefer fantasy and spend most of my time there, even valuing it more. It brings me more interesting things than reality, so why not?

Just because it's "reality" doesn't mean it's the most important thing, and should occupy my thoughts at all times. Reality is important and deserves to be considered in many situations, but it's hardly the most important thing. I think you overestimate its value. ;)

Human beings have imaginations. The things I see in my inner world are relevant when seen in terms of how people process reality. Not everything I see reflects current reality, but much of what isn't current reflects a potential reality (or theory about it), or at least symbolizes it. You would be surprised how useful this can be in many cases.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
But I prefer fantasy and spend most of my time there, even valuing it more. It brings me more interesting things than reality, so why not?

I don't understand the concept of "living in a fantasy world". Can you provide examples?

Frank

Bluewing you don't really box people so simplistically based off definitions do you? I mean seriously aren't we all learning as we go and making adjustments where needed?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bluewing you don't really box people so simplistically based off definitions do you? I mean seriously aren't we all learning as we go and making adjustments where needed?

????????????????????

Oh well... I can see these problems, but it seems a little bit exaggerated to me. I have read some excerpts of Schopenhauer, and I think he has some interesting points (I didn't even know he was INFJ, by the way). What worries me about Dostoyevsky is the nationalism rather than the religious language. Remember that almost all people were religious at that time, not just Fs or INFJs. Religion in the past has always "made sense". So I don't think you can say that Dostoyevsky would have needed to spend more time with his T, and then everything would have been fine. Also don't neglect the great things many INFJs have done for the world, for example Nelson Mandela, Mohandas Gandhi, Mother Teresa and Martin Luther King. And this was probably also Dostoyevsky's aim, to help "save the world", though his compassion might have been narrowed down to "Russians".

I think the "salvation" for an INFJ lies in Se, if any function. I'm thinking of starting a thread on that some time.

I think we have to be respectful of each other's MBTI differences, or we could end up thinking "everyone should be my type". BlueWing, you seem to put a high value on logic and "the truth" in a Ti fashion. But an INFJ doesn't value that as highly, yet is often very concerned with the truth on another "wavelength". Also remember that Ni is the ultimate function for thinking outside the box, which I suppose is something you do value.

Spending more time with his T would have allowed Dostoevsky to break free from religion. Ti would have allowed him to see the world for what it is, irrespectively of whether or not everyone was religious around him.

Secondly, logical thinking would have pruned away many superstitions within his worldview.

With regard to Schopenhauer, review this.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/285791-post35.html

Frank

????????????????????

I am not sure what part of the question was confusing to you. Lets try it another way. Do you really think individual human beings so fit with definitions from an unprovable theory that your simplistic view of human behavior deserves much merit? Could it be that your ti is interpreting other people in relation to yourself and not to the way they actually are?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
????????????????????

I am not sure what part of the question was confusing to you. Lets try it another way. Do you really think individual human beings so fit with definitions from an unprovable theory that your simplistic view of human behavior deserves much merit. Could it be that your ti is interpreting other people in relation to yourself and not to the way they actually are.

Do you know the relationship between typology and the individual?

Specifically to what degree a characterization of the type relates to the personalities that inhere within the type?

Another distinction you ought to keep in mind is that between type and human behavior. To what degree the two overlap and how they tend to influence one another.

You should assume those principles of typology by default as they are fundamental to all thought concerning systematic typology.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I bet my ass, you've forgotten randomness in your equations :D

drunk-asshole.jpg

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
The INFJ has the propensity to be divorced from reality because their perceiving function is introverted. Introversion naturally defines the external environment in terms of how it relates to the self and not how it is in its own right. Thus the external environment is distorted by the internal unconscious predispositions of the INFJ.
No. Introverted intuition doesn't distort the external environment at all, nor does it fail to 'define the external environment in its own right'. It allows us INFJ's to perceive things in the same way someone would if they were using extroverted intuition, but introverted intuition generates the implications of those things. It shows the possible futures, and it does so from multiple angles. If I come home from school and my dad isn't happy, introverted intuition automatically starts predicting possibilities of why he's pissed off what he'll say next: Did my report card come in with some bad grades? Did I leave the oven on overnight? Did I forget to do something? Now, that's a pretty simple example that doesn't exactly do justice the power of introverted intuition. Any idiot could come up with those possibilities... but it's basically the point. Introverted intuition doesn't typically distort anything more than anything other process would, it simply takes what it perceives and uses it to predict what could happen next in ways that extroverted intuition can't.

Because it is not restricted by the Judgment of Thinking, not nearly as much as the INTJ type, the INFJ is almost indubitably the most Intuitive type.
A thing that I tend to be very proud of :D

In this context, however, it is not at all a good thing.
I'm sorry that your misinterpretation of introverted intuition has led you to believe that.

As many of the worldviews produced are manifestly a form of madness.
You're saying that individuals like MLK and Mother Teresa demonstrated
'madness' with their worldviews? We could use a lot more of it, then.

The INFJ shares the attitude of the classical Keirseyan SJ who is profoundly pessimistic about the external world and is very security conscious. Yet in the case of the INFJ such attitude is far more ingenious! In effect they have a very abstract model of 'the whole world is trying to screw me!'.
Yes, that happens sometimes. During those rare periods of high stress or intensely negative emotion, I have a very negative "screw the whole world" attitude going on in my head. To say that typical INFJ's are like that all the time, though? Nah, that's just another gross misinterpretation.

Another reason for this is Introverted Thinking is also aimed at the subject. Thus there is also an aversion to problems of the external world. Unlike a strong, objective introverted thinking type, the Thinking of the INFJ is underdeveloped. Thus in addition to the persecution mania induced by the abstract vision of Ni a similar vision emerges as a result of malfunctioning Thinking. Thinking is not only negative towards the external world because of introversion, or for the same reason as Intuition, but also because this function in itself is under-developed. Thus it inevitably conjures negative thoughts about the world of impersonal occurences. One is only to imagine how much those could be magnified by the vision of Introverted Intuition.
I didn't think it was possible, but I think you misinterpreted this facet of the INFJ's even worse than the others. INFJ's (along with INFP's) are considered to be more in tune with the problems of the world than any other type. That's extroverted feeling- the process that best relates to the problems of the rest of the world, mixed with the introverted intuition- the process that allows us to synthesize everything we relate to with extroverted feeling and get a sense of the deepest problems in our environment. INFJ's and INFP's know what it feels like to turn on the news, see all the messed up things happening around us, and feel a burning desire to do something about it. Many of the great world leaders were INFJ's/INFP's for this reason. We, moreso than anyone else, have that innate desire to fight for the cause.

As for introverted thinking, it isn't a negative process for me. Considering the fact that I'm the most unhealthy INFJ I know, I would say that it isn't negative for most other INFJ's, either. Extraverted sensing may be negative, but introverted thinking isn't. It certainly doesn't have to be negative to the outside world, so that's yet another misinterpretation on your part. After I develop one of my visions of the future, Introverted Thinking adds the rational touch to it. If I meet a girl and we have an amazing romantic connection, introverted intuition will probably map out one possibility of us two dropping out of high school and getting married, introverted thinking will then ask me "Well... that sounds great and all, but how would you guys support yourselves? You two would probably have to wait a while before even considering kids!" It'll do that for every possible future I'll find myself mapping out.

That includes visions relating to the outside world, too, not in aversion to it. An INFJ can use introverted thinking in a positive way just like an INTP might (not as well or as often, obviously). I think that I put it into good use when I got perfect scores across the board in math for my SAT 1's, SAT 2's, and ACT's.

I suppose one shall request examples of such INFJ insanity.
According to you, then, INFJ's are the only insane people in the world? Please, let's at least be somewhat reasonable. Insanity can happen to any type, and it will manifest itself differently based on that type. An INFJ may come up with crazy worldviews. An INTP might start looking for excuses and biases that'll paint INFJ's as divorcees from reality ;)

Let's not try and take two crazy individuals and act like they represent the whole INFJ population, though.

Extroverted Feeling evokes a feeling of appreciation for ideas that support the vision and a feeling of depreciation for those that do not. Such prejudice has been a powerful weapon to keep the INFJ frozen in their irrational vision.
Not quite. INFJ's are usually open-minded enough to accept others' opinions. We'll try to persuade them otherwise, but we'll be gracious about it all in the end and without giving up our beliefs. An INFJ sense of extroverted feeling teaches us the importance of respecting other people's views.

Whenever we come across someone who is clearly biased and is trying to collect incorrect data just so they have something to support their point, we might not be so respectful, however.

I'm not gonna lie, though, it made me chuckle a bit to see you calling other people irrational after reading your post.

You should assume those principles of typology by default as they are fundamental to all thought concerning systematic typology.
1. You should never try to understand a personality type based on definitions and descriptions from research alone. You can only begin to understand such a personality type by getting to know people who belong to it, but even then, you can only know so much. The only reliable fundamentals to typology are those people who understand a type the most-those who belong to that type.

2. If you ARE going to rely on principles of INFJ typology, please do a bit more research next time. I wasn't sure if that first post was a joke, but I can't really find another explanation as to how an argument from an introverted thinker could be so biased and contain so many holes. Maybe it's just that negative extroverted feeling kicking in ;)

redacted

Dude you have no idea what you're getting into here. BW understands the functions better than anyone on this site.

He is totally off base, but that's another matter. His INFJ is a possibility, certainly, but not the norm -- not even close.

Believe me, he does not misunderstand the functions. He just misunderstands the way the average INFJ's function interaction works.

It seems you misunderstand the functions, actually.