• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] anybody interested in being a scientist in Astronomy?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
i do wonder,
is there any NF's here who's deeply interested in these things?

for example:
Daily Kos: State of the Nation
does anybody here get somewhat excited after reading this article?

it always reminds me back to those childhood days, where I was still about 11-12 years old, and being so different from the rest of the family, I often like to go outside at night, grab a chair, and just stare at the night-sky filled with stars...and can often just stargazed there with lots of feelings & wonders.

and at that age, i've also already got a lot of astronomical books (ie: Einstein's Relatitvity theory, Stephen Hawking's, etc) , although i don't think i can understand most of what it said, obviously, at my young age hehe..but i READ it nevertheless!
most of my classmates back then would consider me very 'strange' and 'out-of-place' kid, and probably only me who had purchased such 'strange' books!
other kids would just easily play soccer or basket, or hitting girls, but i'm not.

i'm wondering if anybody here can relate with my childhood experience here?
And also, just wondering if anybody here is interested (or like to pursue) in being a scientist, especially in Astronomy field , after reading the article above? will it suits us?

(sometimes i'm thinking that my INTJ cousin would probably more 'suited' , in term of following the science career steadily, because as much as I LOVE to ponder about this universe & its mystery, it seems that I appreciate more of it as a "beauty" thing, rather than a thing that needs to be analyzed, or calculated. is it perhaps due to T versus F thing?)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- My Childcraft Encyclopedia set was my bed time story since I was a year old
- Had Mercury through Pluto memorized in order at 2 years old
- I have always wished to go out there and actually look at the things I could only get pictures of
- I've been able to navigate by the starts since I was 8
- grade 3 and 4 I was so bored that I made sure I was sitting in the back corner near the reference books so I could entertain myself during the teachers third or fourth iteration of a concept
- I once tried to do a scale sketch of Saturn's moons when I was 12 by looking up their sizes then copying the image of the moon into that size from pictures of it
- I'm a member of the local chapter of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
- I like to keep an eye on the exoplanets that are showing up all over the place
- I think this Dwarf planet and Plutoid garbage is BS :D

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I've been a space nerd since age 5. Nothing fascinates me more than space.

Shinzon

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've always felt that if I could dedicate my life to dreaming about the cosmos I'd be happy. I truly believe that feeling we get in the black of night staring up at the stars is something that transcends humanity; it's a sense of wonder shared with every other intelligent being in the universe. It's in those moments we are closest to looking upon the face of god.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Astronomy has always fascinated me. I'm lucky to have an ISTJ father who is fascinated by astronomy as well and is like a walking physics textbook. :D

Pseudonym_Alpha

MBTI Type
INFJ
i do wonder,
is there any NF's here who's deeply interested in these things?

for example:
Daily Kos: State of the Nation
does anybody here get somewhat excited after reading this article?

it always reminds me back to those childhood days, where I was still about 11-12 years old, and being so different from the rest of the family, I often like to go outside at night, grab a chair, and just stare at the night-sky filled with stars...and can often just stargazed there with lots of feelings & wonders.

and at that age, i've also already got a lot of astronomical books (ie: Einstein's Relatitvity theory, Stephen Hawking's, etc) , although i don't think i can understand most of what it said, obviously, at my young age hehe..but i READ it nevertheless!
most of my classmates back then would consider me very 'strange' and 'out-of-place' kid, and probably only me who had purchased such 'strange' books!
other kids would just easily play soccer or basket, or hitting girls, but i'm not.

i'm wondering if anybody here can relate with my childhood experience here?
And also, just wondering if anybody here is interested (or like to pursue) in being a scientist, especially in Astronomy field , after reading the article above? will it suits us?

(sometimes i'm thinking that my INTJ cousin would probably more 'suited' , in term of following the science career steadily, because as much as I LOVE to ponder about this universe & its mystery, it seems that I appreciate more of it as a "beauty" thing, rather than a thing that needs to be analyzed, or calculated. is it perhaps due to T versus F thing?)

Science and particularly astronomy are among my favourite things in life :) So to answer your question, A DEFINITE YES! :hug:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, but the math involved would kill me. That doesn't stop me from being utterly fascinated and excited about deep space and quantum physics, though.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of the best experiences is when I visited Lick Observatory and used the second largest refracting telescope in the world. Astronomy was one of my favorite classes when I was in college, and of course I had a huge crush on my professor.

sade

I've been following the LHC progress, it's so interesting. makes me want to be an astrologist too.
I loved science ever since I was little, but I was more into things on Tellus than the outer space..

Lalaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I have never been a space nerd, I rarely gave the sky a second thought when I was younger. But now I really love reading and learning about the universe, but my mind is not hardwired to be able to process the higher levels of information required to work in that specific field of science. I can grasp the basic abstract theories in physics and such, but when it comes down the tiny details I lose it. I much prefer picking out constellations to hypothesizing about black holes and what not.