User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INFPs only love

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFPs only love

Hey, INFPs! Just a quick question for you guys.
    Do you feel like that there is one person out there that you love, and ONLY one.
    Like you still feel for and appreciate others, but you only have one true love.
    Does anyone else feel that? Post your thoughts.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler68 View Post
    Do you feel like that there is one person out there that you love, and ONLY one.
    Hope, is the first step on the path to disappointment. ~ Space Marine

I found that saying (warhammer 40k) ridiculously over the top and funny, but I also 'felt' that there was something right about it.

Hope is an act of 'faith' (I'm atheist ftr) irrespective of the evidence or lack thereof. We all hope to one degree or another at some time because we just don't know and we 'hate' not knowing. This leads to envisioning desired outcomes and then expectations. The blinders are put on as we focus, never mind that opportunity/ies walk right by us.

There are 3 billion+ humans of the opposite sex out there (7b+ if you're bi ) and we are way more similar to each other than we think/feel, not to mention we can all change/adapt over time.

Before anyone creates that statue or idol of 'the one' that inevitably gets pedalstalized, consider these words from Barry Swartz

"The secret to happiness is low expectations"

P.S. Be careful what you hope for, lest it set you up for failure.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoPeeler68 View Post
    No, I don't feel that way.

(I cop to feeling that way STRONGLY after loving someone for the first time deeply and it not ending as we had hoped. It passed with time.)

It's true we might love someone in a way that is unique and not to be repeated. But, another experience can be equally as valid and full-bodied. AS rewarding, just in another dimension.

Or at least, that is my experience PP68.
    Likes Kheledon, ZNP-TBA liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Hope, is the first step on the path to disappointment. ~ Space Marine

I found that saying (warhammer 40k) ridiculously over the top and funny, but I also 'felt' that there was something right about it.

Hope is an act of 'faith' (I'm atheist ftr) irrespective of the evidence or lack thereof. We all hope to one degree or another at some time because we just don't know and we 'hate' not knowing. This leads to envisioning desired outcomes and then expectations. The blinders are put on as we focus, never mind that opportunity/ies walk right by us.

There are 3 billion+ humans of the opposite sex out there (7b+ if you're bi ) and we are way more similar to each other than we think/feel, mot to mention we can all change/adapt over time.

Before anyone creates that statue or idol of 'the one' that inevitably gets pedalstalized, consider these words from Barry Swartz

"The secret to happiness is low expectations"

P.S. Be careful what you hope for, lest it set you up for failure.
    Ha! Spanky, this reminded me of that skit that used to be on MadTV

Likes SpankyMcFly, ZNP-TBA, PeaceBaby liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Ha! Spanky, this reminded me of that skit that used to be on MadTV

Too bad they didn't do one from a female perspective, or did they?

I'd hazard a guess that the opposite is done. Settling is quite the buzzword in our culture and is mostly spoken and written by women for women and it has gone hand in hand with postponing family creation. Simultaneously an abundance of articles, books and blogs come out to the effect: where are the good men.

As someone from the outside looking in it begs the question as to which came first? Who, why, what etc. Therein lies my interest
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Too bad they didn't do one from a female perspective, or did they?
    Yeah, there's more on the u tube
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Yeah, there's more on the u tube
    Found one! Also from Mad TV

I've been following Jenny Marbles for a couple years now and here's her take on the subject:

I like it
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Bizarre Love Triangle Puffypolma's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I haven't met that one person that I feel I will only love and no one would replace his place yet, but I think it is totally possible
    I don't want to die in a car accident. When I die it'll be a glorious day. It'll probably be a waterfall.
    -River Phoenix
    Likes DulcetRefrain liked this post

Wow! @SpankyMcFly She is a riot

I agree with the general vein of her initial statements. Especially when she qualifies it, with the need to work hard in order to accomplish what you are after. If one works for the best (but doesn't assume it will come) and is prepared for the worst; then positive outcomes are especially HAPPIFYING and negative outcomes don't utterly devastate.

I also think individual make-up: motivations, fears, energy, confidence, anxiety-coping style...have a lot to do with if a person does better to expect much of themselves, or vice versa.

Settling is quite the buzzword in our culture and is mostly spoken and written by women for women and it has gone hand in hand with postponing family creation. Simultaneously an abundance of articles, books and blogs come out to the effect: where are the good men.

Seriously!? Intriguing.

Where I live there is a very high percentage of men who favour romance with other men. This along with general population dispersion > amount of available women seems to outnumber the percentage of single men (at least in my social circles).

{I once watched a show re: statistics involving what percentage of singles inhabit major American cities. It was fascinating to see how the dynamics of density affected dating mores and ideals.}

Anyways, the disparity where I live means that often my women friends are not as 'choosy'. Whereas, my male (hetero) friends are consumed with the idea of not 'settling'. They are generally good-looking young guy's with well-paying jobs and they are very concerned about connecting with someone who is: highly attractive, financially independent, without baggage, will make good housemates and prospective mothers, are sexually adventurous etcetera.

Not that any of those criteria are unreasonable. It only makes me laugh that the guy's have a HUGE laundry list - and often let girl's that are seemingly great matches slip away - because they are uncertain if they might be 'settling'. Whereas, the girl's seem more open-minded to accept one or two lesser traits = if the balance is positive overall.

I gather from your comment, that it is different where you live?