User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you find urself expecting/imagining end results too much, but NO real-work?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, very often, or almost always!

39 81.25%
  • only sometimes..

8 16.67%
  • no. almost never

1 2.08%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, my interest always fades when I realize how hard it is to complete something.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    you contemplate a lot, even WAY too much (even other people criticize you often because of this!) , with little to almost NO real-work being done?
    When you are contemplating, work is being done.

Obviously at some point, action must be taken, but do not deny the value of contemplation. In fact, for an IN, it is where the majority of your work will take place.

The more concise your thoughts become in contemplation, the easier the action part of the equation will be.

Perhaps you need to structure your thoughts more before taking action?
    It's just a ride

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Members Only View Post
    When you are contemplating, work is being done.

Obviously at some point, action must be taken, but do not deny the value of contemplation. In fact, for an IN, it is where the majority of your work will take place.

The more concise your thoughts are become in contemplation, the easier the action part of the equation will become.
    Very true. Still, without the doing part, no work has really been done when contemplating. Nothing that can be shown at least.

That said: I contemplated and procrastinated for 4 years on my masters degree. After 3 of those I still had nothing to show to prove I'd really done any work at all. After the 4th however, praise in abundance and I've never before felt that the final product was actually BETTER than I'd envisioned. Always before it's been a halfhearted compromise between time left and original idea. So yes, your post is very true. Work is definitely being done while contemplating.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INFP

Yes....unfortunately, I can relate(doing it right now, helping someone out with their personal problem,thinking about mine instead of reviewing for a math test in three days xD)
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    INFP

@Members Only & Carebear: seems like you guys are right.
    for us, the IN part is probably our 'main weapon' that'll differ us from the majority of people in the terms of the raw ideas & also the final results.

which brings me to a curious question : so, definitely the IN's works and the IS's works would be totally different, as the end results?
    while i'm sure the IS would easily just DO the works, but perhaps (not trying to discriminate against S people, really) , it would perhaps lack of "something magical" , that usually IN would easily be able to foresee & envisioned beforehand ?
    but the drawback with the IN people is , because of they're often too-much imagining & overthinking (especially NFP folks) , the final results might be soo lacking in practical & detailed stuff, ie: maybe things like grammar, punctuation, or forgot to put the address, etc. 'silly' things like that?

And yes, I agree with Carebear, it's sometimes useless even after I have structured my thoughts, yet I still find it hard to "just DO it" , because right when I want to "do" it, I begin to contemplate again, think too-much!
    argh!

i've learned from somebody in INFP globalchatter forum, & also from many great online articles on "how to eliminate procrastination" , that perhaps the best way to eliminate all of this is to just 'switch-off' our NFP mode, and just turn-on a bit of our shadow-function, namely is: T and S functions. T for thinking thoroughly the process, and S to just think of each small step one by one, and just DO it!
    and yes, motivation & inspiration & words of praise often helped a lot! that's been my experience, at least.

MBTI
    INFP

which brings me to a curious question : so, definitely the IN's works and the IS's works would be totally different, as the end results?
    while i'm sure the IS would easily just DO the works, but perhaps (not trying to discriminate against S people, really) , it would perhaps lack of "something magical" , that usually IN would easily be able to foresee & envisioned beforehand ?
    but the drawback with the IN people is , because of they're often too-much imagining & overthinking (especially NFP folks) , the final results might be soo lacking in practical & detailed stuff, ie: maybe things like grammar, punctuation, or forgot to put the address, etc. 'silly' things like that?
    Yes, I think this can often be the case. Through highschool me and a few IS friends (ISFP, ISTP and possible ISTJ (could be E)) did fairly similar gradewise in Norwegian, history and English. Strong grades, but rarely top. We started comparing the feedback we got and the pattern that emerged was: They got comments like "well worked through, strong paper, but could have a more independent angle", mine were "very promising, you write with a very independent and creative angle, but your paper could could have used more work and been longer".

Different strengths, different weaknesses, same result unless you find a way to learn to work around your weaknesses.

And yes, I agree with Carebear, it's sometimes useless even after I have structured my thoughts, yet I still find it hard to "just DO it" , because right when I want to "do" it, I begin to contemplate again, think too-much!
    argh!

i've learned from somebody in INFP globalchatter forum, & also from many great online articles on "how to eliminate procrastination" , that perhaps the best way to eliminate all of this is to just 'switch-off' our NFP mode, and just turn-on a bit of our shadow-function, namely is: T and S functions. T for thinking thoroughly the process, and S to just think of each small step one by one, and just DO it!
    and yes, motivation & inspiration & words of praise often helped a lot! that's been my experience, at least.
    Yes. It's very hard to switch off the contemplation bit. Especially since part of the contemplation is contemplating "what if I fail?" It might be more hidden, but I think it's rarely the case that INFP contemplation is Ne only. Sneaky Fi keeps hijacking Ne for worst case scenario contemplations.

Encouragement and words of praise helps Fi go to rest and leave Ne alone.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I can totally relate!

I think my problem has more to do with a lack of self-motivation..

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I do but I am most definitely working on finishing projects and commiting more to them.
    SDMF

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am big on the process aspect of creating more so than I am on the actual product aspect of it.

Generally speaking, I hate filtering and committing my thoughts and ideas into a solidified, structured piece of work, it's stifling!!!

Gah, to be continued...
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Although I'm not NFP, I have this problem (it seems like enneagram 9s have this problem in general).

I always know what I want to do and what I should do to further my goals. I just never take the action...