• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Idealist Sarcasm?

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
My best friend is a female ENFJ. She's so much fun to be around. One of her best traits (in my opinion) is her artful use of sarcasm. She dabbles in it finely, as a painter in oils. Lovely!

Is this something NFs are especially gifted at, or is she just special?

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
no i don't think so

sarcasm is mostly cultural

but maybe some nf's are creative, and have a gift of words. and they use it for sarcasm. but i wouldn't say sarcasm specifically is a "inherent trait".

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, everyone knows how to be sarcastic. It's kind of sad really.

eh? why is it sad?

I say this living in the UK, where people are born with sarcasm implants and it's considered the bedrock of all the best humour...?

I assume you're taking 'sarcasm' to mean only the nasty applications of it? There are lighter, less negative uses y'know...

I mean you can have

Mom: I just feel like I need to understand this, you know?
Me: Yeah I know how intellectual integrity's always been important to you.

which is undermining her, invalidating her and calling her a moron basically. Or you can have this:

Mom: let me know what you want for dinner so I don't get the wrong things from the store
Me: Uh yeah, cos like I'm so picky aren't I? You can never tell whether I'll just turn my nose up at something.
Mom: Haha, I guess. I'll just get whatever's on special offer then.
Me: yeah, whatever you fancy, I don't mind :)

Which is telling her she's worrying too much and it's cool, I appreciate whatever she does for me and she needs to remember that.

And then there's Night's current avatar. So much said, so simply, and the very decision to display it shows a sarcastic mind. And it's funny as hell whilst simultaneously making many valid points.

Sometimes sarcasm is a bit like poetry. It's a way of saying an awful lot very concisely.
It doesn't always have to be "being mean".

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
no i don't think so

sarcasm is mostly cultural

but maybe some nf's are creative, and have a gift of words. and they use it for sarcasm. but i wouldn't say sarcasm specifically is a "inherent trait".

it seems that NFs are very good at making "nice" sarcasm. they are the few people who can pump up someones self confidence with sarcsasm

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I mean you can have

Mom: I just feel like I need to understand this, you know?
Me: Yeah I know how intellectual integrity's always been important to you.

which is undermining her, invalidating her and calling her a moron basically.

I guess it's all about tone and context. I think that's way more funny than the second scenario. In fact, it sounds like something I would playfully say to my roommate. But, maybe I'm meaner than my ENFP proposes.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find those that are blessed in banter employ sarcasm with expert efficiency.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It is of course well known that only NT's can engage in sarcasm.
No other type is capable of it because the NT's were born superior in any activity that requires mind-power.
You may want to reconsider your friend's type- she is likely an ENTJ.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
I'm terrible at sarcasm and humor in general. I just say what I think and if it happens to be sarcastic or funny, so much the better.

I know a pair of INTJ's that are sarcasm machines though and not the nice type and sometimes followed by "ho ho hooooo"

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I agree with the whole 'word skillz' and NF and sarcasm thing.

Isn't Kathy Griffin an ENFP? At least some people think she is. And she's hella funny sarcasm wise. It's not nasty sarcasm either.

More like 'social intelligence' translates to humor in the form of sarcasm?

I have to say though, some types use sarcasm in a very passiive-aggressive way.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mostly stemming from Fe banter
or this new fad called Fi self-criticism

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
it seems that NFs are very good at making "nice" sarcasm. they are the few people who can pump up someones self confidence with sarcsasm

its just that i can't imagine karl marx with sarcasm... maybe ironic.

that guy had to be an nf right?