User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Default An INTP observation about NF

I'm sorry if I have to make this broad (NF). I don't have a clear cut distinction between xNFJ and xNFP, but I do understand the difference between Fi and Fe.

Most of my long term friends are NF. One probably is an ENFP and the other one is probably also an ENFP (maybe a J, but I can't be that certain).

I noticed that, they both have an established ethical benchmark (both are Christians, leaning on the conservative side), which is a good thing.

They are both intelligent, which means they both entertain my habit of inititiating deep, often intellectual in nature kinds of conversations.

One thing I really really like about NFs is their godly intellect in looking for the right moment in injecting their F side in a conversation. I'm not sure if NFs here are getting the picture, but they have this knack of making F a helpful perspective in an NTs line of conversing. Most SFs I know don't have a knack for this.

One downside I noticed about NFs (the ethical side formed by the N and the F), is their lack of will to fight for the values they hold for themselves. It's like you're giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.

It's like you have a clear notion of your understanding of what is bad and what is good, but....you can get a bit hesitant in talking about it in fear of....I don't know. Hurting someone, perhaps?

Isn't it a bit hypocritical if...for example...you give a benefit of the doubt to someone whose values may be even considerably contrary to what you believe in?

MBTI
    INFJ

From my understanding, NFPs will give the benefit of the doubt (unless there's a serious breach of their values) and NFJs will more likely take a stand.
    I want something much more different
    Not these factories or prisons
    I wish that the Earth was green again
    I wish I had a gun in my hand

--Blackbird Raum

MBTI
    ENFP

I think he is right. To a point I am a door matt as in I do let people get away with some things because in my head the good of not conflicting on that certain matter outweighs the bad.

What I am trying to say is that door matt mode is only on certain things that don't concern me too much, for example if you happen to talk shit about my beliefs (in a confrontational manner and not debating for the sake of better understanding) I will most likely introduce you to the business end of my shoe (metaphorically unless physically is needed). If you talk about my friends in a negative way (I have no tolerance of gossip) then expect to have your colon forcefully evacuated (usually metaphorically here, and not by sucking the dinner out of your ass either).

Then you get the stupid values that only apply to myself and I will not interject them on others. For example, I will never wear those tight fitting emo skater pants, but I will never debate with anyone about them wearing them even if it makes them look stupid to me.

My intuition tells me that you believe most NF's to be sissies even when it matters to them though. I know many like that, and I also know NT's that are like that, and their rationale I guess is that the person is not worth the trouble.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It is about respect. I don't like to be pushy with my values. They are for me and I doubt that they would work for everyone.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It is about respect. I don't like to be pushy with my values. They are for me and I doubt that they would work for everyone.
    well said.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    good call.

a true INFP.

Won't push their value system on anyone, but you better not mess with it.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    Isn't it a bit hypocritical if...for example...you give a benefit of the doubt to someone whose values may be even considerably contrary to what you believe in?
    But we're talking about their values, not mine. Why would I argue for what I believe in if we're considering someone else's personal values, which have nothing at all to do with what I believe?

I mean I suppose if there was a discussion about a topic and this other person was coming up with ideas that failed to consider other people, then I might stand up and make an argument for the sake of the people whose rights aren't being considered. Or if I saw someone hurt another person or animal in an act of aggression, then I might get riled up and tell that person off.

In most situations other people's values, no matter how contrary to mine, are theirs and no one else's, and it's none of my damn business to tell them what I think about that (unless they asked me to or were visably doing harm to others). So, yes, I would rather give people the benefit of a doubt in regards to their personal beliefs and thoughts. I realise that believing and thinking something does not necessarily mean they will act on those beliefs/thoughts.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP

Well, we INFP's do stand up for ourselves a lot. Protecting ourselves and our core values is what is important. We also have the ability to entertain two conflicting ideas at once, ideas are just ideas. what matters is how they interconnect. the pattern is more important than the elements. and the same pattern can be formed by very different elements.

fighting takes lots of time and effort; getting emotionally involved, which is the only "serious" way for us to get involved, over a simple matter of intellectual discussion or opinion would just be useless and tiring.

what can be sparring for you for us would be war.

MBTI
    INFP

Yup, I'm with the general consensus. None of my business. To me it is more important to be true to my own values than to try to change someone else's.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Functionally they are very different.

INFP -> Fi, Ne, Si, Te
    INFJ -> Ni, Fe, Ti, Se
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1