• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF hypersensitivity

NFs only, do you consider yourself hypersensitive?

• Yes

Votes: 71 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters
S

Sniffles

Oh I don't know, do NTs consider themselves hyposensitive in nature?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Only 25% voted no??

I must really be a rare kind of NF then.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the real variant here is whether or not responders regarded the term "hypersensitive" as negative, neutral, or positive.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think the real variant here is whether or not responders regarded the term "hypersensitive" as negative, neutral, or positive.

"Hyper" has "excessive" connotations usually, and that's how I took it personally.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All of them. I can relate to every meaning of it.

We all can.

My point is that most people chose to respond based on a single interpretation of the term, which varied by individual.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Hyper" has "excessive" connotations usually, and that's how I took it personally.

Understandably so. It can also go the way of 'super-' (above/beyond the norm) which seems less negative.

Susah

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I agree.

Emotional hypersensivity with a reason is cool. (Let's say you broke up with your girlfriend after 2 years). But just crazy outbursts that are completely random are a little off-putting.

Well, I do agree with that, but the point of the term is that it is not proportional :S Though I guess you're indicating the difference between responding stronger than 'called for' and responding to something where no response at all seems warranted...

I would say that I am hypersensitive - particularly in this second sense, where I can randomly react very strongly to things I know I shouldn't. To the point where it is pretty damn annoying. Although not in the sense of 'outbursts', I'm too much of an introverted feeler so they are much more like 'inbursts' :p So yeah, it's not like they would annoy other people. Just myself. But I definitely agree with whoever said being tired and/or hungry or such. A couple of months ago I started crying because the library closed earlier than I thought - definitely lack of sleep...

you know it all depends how attached I am to the person or situation.

The closer and more linked I am the more hypersensitive I become. The more distance I have the less I notice things.

Well that depends on whether you mean the ability to pick up on someone's feelings, or responding to other people. When it's people I know, I'm much more likely to 'feel with them' - get stressed or sad or whatever because they are - but in the sense of overreacting, that is much more often with people I don't know very well, or not at all. Probably to do with an inability to read them properly, so I get really frustrated and insecure and anxious because the communication is not working. Maybe. So I can easily get completely neurotic about someone being rude to me in a queue, or like the other day when I had asked someone something (via email) and she had misunderstood what I meant (absolutely ri-di-culous - I started crying over that - she was not even remotely unfriendly and just trying to help - completely absurd...)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are two aspects to hypersensitivity in all areas that should be noted: acute awareness and acute reaction. A person can be hypersensitive in some area and still not appear to overreact. I know people with intense chronic pain that still accomplish more than the average person. Even though they are experiencing intense pain, their choices and behaviors are not controlled by it. In this way a person can be emotionally hypersensitive, but also very tough in their choices and reactions to it. There can also be inconsistencies in what people are hypersensitive to and when they react.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm autistic, so I'm sensitive to a metric shit-ton of stuff. Negative emotional vibes are the worst, I panic and want to flee ASAP.

á´…eparted

passages
I hate this about me, but yes, I am hypersensitive. I don't respond well to certain types of input or situations, and my coping mechanisms for them can be flawed at best.

I'm very good at regulating the depth to which I feel some things and I can hide it (as I don't want to show it to everyone, it's not needed). However a certain level of it will show. If for example, if something is to go wrong at my hands (whatever it may be) I very often will respond to it really badly. I'll feel a physical gut reaction of "FAIL" and it hurts a lot. It can spin in my head for a long time, and I may need to retire from everyone to wait for it to pass. My mind is on the dramatic side of things and it can very quickly go from "bad, not good... doom... DOOOOOOM!". The likelyhood of that occuring is dependent on how many current issues have been stuffed away and buried. These can well up even if I am not actively thinking about them and compound things.

Being criticized by things that I know are sort points crushes me. No matter what it WILL hurt, and it's annoying as fuck. I just want to be able to take it and be done with it, but it doesn't work that way. I don't take it personally, it's just being faced with the truth of something elicits all kinds of nasty feelings I don't want to feel. Not every criticism hurts. It's usually only triggered when it's done by someone I value and I know they are completely right. If one of those is missing the effect is a lot less or non-exsistant.

My best weapon against hypersensitivity is rationality (trying to figure it out so I can rationalize the feeling away), and thick skin. The old saying "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" has been something I try and force myself to do as much as humanly possible. I'll keep doing that until I crack. Unfortunately it doesn't really make the feelings go away, but it at least move me to a place where I can leave them behind or work through them.

I try and hide all of this from others as much as possible, because I am just really shitty to deal with when I open this up (as no amount of talking or support will make me come around) so I have to lie a lot of the time and say I am over it. I won't be, but eventually I'll be able to put it aside.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
depends on the topic, my current state of emotional stability, and the manner in which it's delivered to me.

i'm much more sensitive when i feel like i'm being criticized for something i'm already aware of and am trying to work on. i'm also more sensitive if i feel like my life's kind of a mess and i'm currently 'failing' in a lot of areas. i don't take kindly to people criticizing others for being different ever. that always kinda sets me off.

on the flip side, when i'm more vulnerable, i respond much more to praise, which i lump together with being 'highly sensitive'.

in general, however, i am a very sensitive person when it comes to having compassion for others, and 'feeling' the world/life experiences. things effect me deeply. i can see a family eating dinner or a big old tree in a park and be emotionally moved in a real way. that's how i see my sensitivity play out the most. i don't need to be in an insecure place in order for that kind of sensitivity to manifest in me.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm so sensitive, that I tend to ignore my own suffering, because if I don't, I feel like I am tyrannizing others with my hypersensitivity, making them walk on eggshells around me.

People will really hurt my feelings, but I act like they didn't, because it's not fair to them if I get upset. After all, they didn't mean to upset me, I just took it the wrong way. I took it to heart, and the comment was completely factual/impersonal. I recognize I'm stupid, but I can't seem to talk myself out my stupidity. It's like trying to talk myself out of physical pain.

However, if I ignore my feelings too long, they will just blow up out of nowhere, and if someone happens to be around for it, it freaks them out.

i'm much more sensitive when i feel like i'm being criticized for something i'm already aware of and am trying to work on. .

Ooh, that one really gets to me. I'm already working on it, there's literally nothing else I can do, you just have to deal with me sucking for a while, okay?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm very sensitive to certain emotions and situations, and suffering. So much so that it can make me appear callous. I'm unable to localize it, personalize it, It's overwhelming thinking about how much bad is going on at all times, and how helpless I am to it. This colors my thoughts and sets my point of perspective about the experience of discomfort and pain in ways that makes it hard for me to relate on those experiences to others.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's what Ive been called my entire life, so I guess so :shrug:

It was..definitely taxing growing up, but I decided to see it as a blessing instead of a curse, in the end.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's what Ive been called my entire life, so I guess so :shrug:

It was..definitely taxing growing up, but I decided to see it as a blessing instead of a curse, in the end.

Yeah it seems like a horrible thing to be called when you're little, but now I try to frame it like I'm a very sensitive instrument, finely tuned, something that picks up on things other less delicate instruments miss. It makes me sound useful!