• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF hypersensitivity

NFs only, do you consider yourself hypersensitive?

• Yes

Votes: 71 79.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
. things effect me deeply. i can see a family eating dinner or a big old tree in a park and be emotionally moved in a real way. that's how i see my sensitivity play out the most.

this is extremely true for me. i am largely moved by things that seem insignificant to others. for example, i'm often moved in the evening by watching traffic pouring over the brooklyn bridge. somewhere in the midst of the sea of headlights, someone had the greatest day of their life and someone else had the worst. someone got engaged. someone got fired. now they're all battling each other to get across the east river and most of them don't even think twice about who's driving the car next to them.

i'm also moved by even more seemingly random things like street names and road signs. the main road through campus at my school was called "campus drive," and when i was rummaging around in the university archives, i found an old map from the 1960s which showed that it was originally called "myrtle drive." i got hit by the most intense wave of nostalgia for a time before i even existed.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah it seems like a horrible thing to be called when you're little, but now I try to frame it like I'm a very sensitive instrument, finely tuned, something that picks up on things other less delicate instruments miss. It makes me sound useful!

True. It is funny though how many people want you to dull your blade for their convenience and comfort of mind.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can be pretty sensitive, to the needs of my friends, about children and cute animals, or I can be sensitive when people insult something personal about me. I want to do all that I can to make people feel happy and comfortable, and tend to worry a lot about this. I'm more sensitive than insensitive but I go to extremes on the other end of the spectrum too when I'm pushed to that point...

I can come across as outwardly insensitive, and there are certain personalities who I am less patient with, so insensitivities may seep through the cracks. When people make it all about them and go on and on about their problems, I want to help but if they do it too much, I can get pretty insensitive in those types of situations. I don't say anything out loud but I get pretty nasty thoughts.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had to read some of the comments to see how it was defined.
I'm NOT hypersensitive in the sense that I become a ball-baby if anyone says a cross word to me (though I was when I was younger!)
I AM hypersensitive of all the emotions and activities of others. I don't know how much of that is my NF and how much is because of my HSP though.

I don't like emotional displays. I have silently cried since I was a little kid because I hate anyone knowing I'm upset. I don't know how to "fix" the emotions of others. I know their responses are usually much needed and I encourage them to "let it all out and feel what needs to be felt", but it makes me exceptionally uncomfortable. When my grandmother died, for instance, I was holding her hand at the very end. The household was asleep. I woke them, after she passed and everyone was overcome with grief. I just started cleaning everything and distanced myself. I knew I *should* have been crying, but I couldn't. And I didn't until her funeral, when my favorite Uncle (mentally handicapped) broke down in the aisle. I felt his grief until it overwhelmed me and I finally cried too.

I seem to absorb the emotions of others. I let them pour out their heart and I take it all in. Being a mom of 4 (plus a step daughter and all the neighborhood kids), I learned that emotions are contagious. If a kid bangs their head and starts bleeding and you freak out, the kid will freak out too. If you're calm and reassuring, they usually handle things MUCH better. So, I tend to act as a counselor and sounding board. Even though I absorb everything, I don't react to it. If it's too overwhelming, I have to DO something (like clean). It's very hard to trigger an emotional reaction out of me.

I am EXTREMELY hypersensitive of chaos. Unmedicated, too many sights, sounds, smells, and the perceived emotions of too many people will overwhelm me until it makes me (uncontrollably) go to sleep. Medicated, it mostly just makes me uncomfortable and "anxious".