• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] How is Ne used exactly?

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are there clear examples of this function that anyone can throw in here? I'm baffled that it's my dominant funtion because I do not fully understand it. And I don't think I could ever grasp introverted intuition, but because its such a mystery, I'm tempted to say that I would trade Ne for Ni in a heartbeat. That's neither here nor there, but does anyone have any thoughts? Teach me!

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Personally for me it's that experience of having a number of different things flood your mind when you look at something, or think about it. It's like your chasing a subconscious idea in your head of something thats based on a loose association, but its only a 100% clear after the fact.

It sounds completely random at first to everyone else(including me), but after a little time I can sort it out pretty thoroughly to clarify. I think it's like a really good complex associative recall.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
Thanks for that link, I read Bluewing's post first and was intrigued but not satisfied.

p. 198: "...to leap from a few immediate cues to a quick impression of the whole..."

Defines the way that I feel like I understand all 16 types and communicate to people accordingly, even though I'm probably oversimplifying a very complex subject.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Think of it this way:

Were you ever talking with someone about a certain topic, and all of the sudden one little word they said brought up an idea in your head that made you immedietly have to blurt it out in what seems to be a total change in topic to the other person when in reality it was really a quite logical jump in your own head?

Well that is an example of Ne.

RUN ONS FTW...

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Another example is being able to understand and explain things in different ways.

Have you ever understood a theory really quickly and then were able to relay it in much more laymen or totally different terms to another person so that it would make sense? I.E. explaining CPU's in terms of washing machines or acid/base buffer systems in terms of fish in an aquarium.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Personally for me it's that experience of having a number of different things flood your mind when you look at something, or think about it. It's like your chasing a subconscious idea in your head of something thats based on a loose association, but its only a 100% clear after the fact.

It sounds completely random at first to everyone else(including me), but after a little time I can sort it out pretty thoroughly to clarify. I think it's like a really good complex associative recall.

I like your first hand account. It sounds much like what I do, too.

Another example is being able to understand and explain things in different ways.

Have you ever understood a theory really quickly and then were able to relay it in much more laymen or totally different terms to another person so that it would make sense? I.E. explaining CPU's in terms of washing machines or acid/base buffer systems in terms of fish in an aquarium.
Yes!! This is what makes ENTPs good professors, I guess.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know, I honestly don't know how it works... it just comes totally naturally to me and I can't imagine not being able to do what I do with it... or why on earth I'd choose any other way of doing things... :blink:

To me nothing ever seems random, everything is connected pretty much, I can instantly see connections between just about anything and anything else and I don't get really why anyone else can't. I can also adapt very quickly and easily to new information and circumstances and I can't imagine for the life of me how or why anyone can continue in a certain way when they have the information right before their eyes that demands change... why the hell would anyone want to continue in error?? It baffles me...

One thing MBTI has taught me though is not to think people are stupid because they can't use Ne the way I do... but the reason I used to think they were was because I never thought my *being* able to do it was anything special. :blush:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you recall where that one discussion was, Sub, where you and me and Digest and Xander and some others explored Ne dominance in a lot of detail?

Haven't found it yet...

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Do you recall where that one discussion was, Sub, where you and me and Digest and Xander and some others explored Ne dominance in a lot of detail?

Haven't found it yet...

Was that the one with someone mentioning the word hat and how it conjured up the images of cat in the hat, Dr. Seuss, Napoleon, George Washington, Cow boys and splat?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Was that the one with someone mentioning the word hat and how it conjured up the images of cat in the hat, Dr. Seuss, Napoleon, George Washington, Cow boys and splat?

I think the thread I was imagining was more focused on ENTP.

But the one you describe sounds like fun!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Haven't found it yet...

What do you think? :mellow:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sorry, no. I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch three hours ago... and yet I can memorize entire movie scripts... if I ever work out how my memory works so I can remember the things I want to, I'll let you know! :cry:

actually, I say that, but I've an inkling it was part of one of those ENTP threads in the NT forum... no, it's okay, no need to send me flowers and chocolates as thanks for whittling it down so precisely :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
actually, I say that, but I've an inkling it was part of one of those ENTP threads in the NT forum... no, it's okay, no need to send me flowers and chocolates as thanks for whittling it down so precisely :D

Sorry, I already ate the flowers and smelled the chocolate here.

Guess I'll actually have to LOOK. Sigh.

EDIT: Well, look at that -- it was in the "How to Catch an ENTP Guy" thread.

I have linked to Page 2. There's some discussion of Ne vs Ni, at least, but you'd see how Ne-dominant might play out.

observer84

MBTI Type
INTP
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/player2000gi/jungian_functions.htm">Visual representation</a>

I find that page very helpful when thinking about the 8 cognitive functions.

Extroverted Sensing deals more with objects in the world, whereas extroverted iNtuition deals with underlying meanings and possibilities associated with said object. The object itself is not important.

Introvert iNtuition deals with meanings and possibilities too, but it is focused internally. It involves mental imagery, realizing profound meanings and far reaching symbols. The external stimuli need not be present. Many INFJ's, with Ni and Fe, feel they are in some way "psychic."

So then Ne takes in external information with iNtuition. It does not see the object, but sees its meaning, it's purpose or its relationship to other things. Because of this, Ne is a quick learner because the incoming information is already connected to its intuitive meaning.

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
This post is making me wonder if I'm really an ENFJ. I mean, someone saying the word "hat" would not conjure up that many images at once. Also, I have some problems with Bluewing's ENFP profile (and perhaps others?) which said that enfp's involuntarily submit to authority. I make it a point to question the legitamacy of any authority. But I do suck the life out of something and then just move on- and I'm unequivically scatterbrained. I'm going to have to mull this over.

Edit: If I'm off this forum in a week, does that make me an ENFP? :)

Edit: I did start about ten threads at once before just falling asleep.

Edit: "Ne is a quick learner because the incoming information is already connected to its intuitive meaning."
One of the fastest learners I know.

Major in Psychology minor in philosophy

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, ENFJ sounds farther and farther off. Also, look at the number of edits on this post!! But it's ok- now the post is "perfect"