• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Is Infp beast or man?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Basically,

I was just wondering what function does Fi really serve? and I don't just mean for the individual, but also on a collection level, and I suppose in regards to how it may serve, or contribute to society.

I always felt as though how a person turned out was really dependent on what their values were, and thus in relation personal life choices they made because of their values; or have I always been mistaken, and Fi is actually more complex then just a strong sense of inner awareness and more likened to actually in some ways; being sort of an embodiment and personification with personal choice, and feeling, as a function?

I was also wondering what in general INFP's sort of exist to contribute to society? or what we generally tend to contribute to society?

I suppose in asking this too, I was more interested in a sort of 'symbolic' or even as an archetype :unsure:

I am suppose what brought me to asking this is that I sort of have been wrestling a lot with my functions and wondering just what they really are for...

I know that Fi is often good for being authentic, genuine, and holding true to ideals; which I suppose would also mean dependable.

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How doesn't it contribute to society? High Fi is essentially idealism. So I tend to follow my conscience regardless of the consequences.

Archetypes like healer or crusader tend to be commonly used. It depends on if your personal values are more about harmony or justice. But either way, an Fi-dom is likely to place their values above their own well-being.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm half-beast, half-man. My man keeps the beast in check and vice versa.

The man is usually worse.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How doesn't it contribute to society? High Fi is essentially idealism. So I tend to follow my conscience regardless of the consequences.

Archetypes like healer or crusader tend to be commonly used. It depends on if your personal values are more about harmony or justice. But either way, an Fi-dom is likely to place their values above their own well-being.
Many of the articles or things I have read written over the past about INFP's tend to sort of paint them as underachieving dilettantes who at times struggle with understanding reality, and are far too 'head in the clouds' quite often; usually because of their idealism. Which of course, translates to not really being taken seriously.

Do you think that Fi is simply a strong inner awareness of feeling, and self, or do you think it's more then that?
I've seen it being called virtually "useless" at times, by posters in the typology community. The reason I wanted to ask that is because, is fi simply a way of taking in information, and thus it is up the individual to decide what to do thereupon with said info, or is it entirely more a strong natural inclination towards being that would lead those descriptions of I am talking about to come into being, more likely?

I don't see how inner awareness of being and feeling could really be all that useless at all, unless there's something else to it, really. I say that Fi could have a much stronger likelihood or proclivity to feeling and inner awareness with such confidence because in honesty, many people I have met and spoken to (even introverts) tend not to always share that attribute.

In fact, I have commonly heard people say to me (for various reasons) "wow, you really feel things deeply" or "wow, you're so in touch with your feelings. I don't think I even notice my feelings half of the time"

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, I made lots of typos in that post. I have half awake, sitting in awkwardvposition, etc.

will fix later tttyl bbq

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Maybe the man in you tricks your beast side into thinking that your man side is really your worst side.

But...you are just a terrible person in general.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the beauty you silly

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That is exactly how I used to be. Now my values tend to be in flux. I have a slight orientation towards relieving the suffering of others, but lately, I just don't care anymore. My only value is to accumulate as much wealth as I can, engage in pleasurable pursuits in my free time, and avoid harming others (if it can be helped).

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I like what you touch on Beans. I see my Fi as my inner moral compass that guides me on the path of right versus wrong. It's nearly impossible for me to do something against my value system because the guilt and anxiety that would follow a breach of those personal values is too great. Whether it's directly tied to Fi or not, it also leads me to protect my loved ones and stand up for the rights and well being of them. I will gladly sacrifice my own health to serve their needs. Ne is how I experience the world and how I make sense of it all, but to me, my Fi is what gives me my soul.

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Usefulness really depends on your goal. So I imagine that to many types (particularly Fe users) Fi would be useless to their way of operating. The feeling functions are only how you relate to feelings, which translates to your moral center and sense of ethics. But it is entirely up to the individual what moral framework they feel fits best and how they wish to act on that.

For instance, Magic Qwan shared a personal experience above that is very Fi-driven. Choosing to take care of oneself but still wishing to avoid harming others is an emphasis on moral framework despite shifting moral perspective. This happens to many INFPs throughout our lives. To someone with less emphasis on Fi, we may seem to be getting nowhere fast. But to an INFP, huge amounts of growth and learning are taking place, and we find ourselves coming to understand various perspectives through firsthand experience. Or if we have no reason to shift our perspective, we become champions for whatever cause drives us, no matter how great or small.

Ultimately, it is always up to you what you wish to do. INFP is just a preference, not an unavoidable fate. Same for our functions. I choose my Fi as my dominant function every time I say I would never wish to prioritize anything else over my conscience. That doesn't mean I never do anything just for fun or because "it's the smart thing". It just means whenever I do make a decision, my gut feelings about right and wrong are a rather large factor in my decision. I still procrastinate, get angry, and have fun "just because". But if I feel guilt about something, chances are I'll be able to pinpoint the behavior I feel guilty about and fix it fast. And many other personality types are frustratingly inefficient at following their own gut because that's simply not their priority.

As for being a dilettante, that's a stereotype. I'm good enough at my job I got mistyped by my coworkers as an ENTJ. Not me at all, but it's the qualities that were required to get the job done, and it was something I believed in strongly. Once I told my coworkers, they're able to see it. They just didn't see me as the soft, air-headed, shy pacifist INFPs are "supposed" to be. Kinda made me crack up, because my family thinks of me in exactly that way. They can't believe I'm not just daydreaming at work all day, achieving nothing. To be fair, I daydream a lot when I'm off the clock. lol