User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I wanted to come back to this thread because it brought back memories of my family arguing with me about some of the more "adventurous" decisions I had made, like serving as a volunteer for two years in a developing country. My brother was actually very opposed to this and was convinced I would die as a "martyr" (his words) in a blaze of gunfire.

To alleviate my own concerns, I researched the organization's program, safety history, country's stability, etc. I didn't make the decision lightly, nor was I driven by an unhealthy desire to "save the world." Actually, this particular agency screens out individuals who exhibit that quality because it results in volunteers with mental health issues resulting in medical evacuations. It was a calculated risk on my part. The funny thing is, and it's more scary than funny, but there was a military coup while I was living there--fortunately I wasn't on the streets of the capital that day.

I do not live under the false assumption that I can SAVE THE WORLD!, but rather, I see my small actions as a way to contribute and connect to the world and the people around me. It is as simple as that.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I thought this thread was going to be kind of different, based on the title...
    I know an INFJ who does a lot of coke, that's about as dangerous as his life gets. He doesn't really put himself in danger for others, but he does associate with and attract a lot of unwholesome people. Unfortunately not all INFJs are not quite as selfless as the ones here.
    (Don't get me wrong--I really like INFJs, but this thread has a lot of self-love)

EDIT: To clarify what I meant, I feel like this thread has a certain element of being in love with the INFJ image, not that the posters are infatuated with themselves. Probably won't make you think I'm less of a jerk, but just so you think it for the right reasons

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be kind of different, based on the title...
    I know an INFJ who does a lot of coke, that's about as dangerous as his life gets. He doesn't really put himself in danger for others, but he does associate with and attract a lot of unwholesome people. Unfortunately not all INFJs are not quite as selfless as the ones here.
    (Don't get me wrong--I really like INFJs, but this thread has a lot of self-love)
    Thats really really bad and I totally understand where he's at. Thats scary Poppy. I'd avoid him like the plague.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
    Thats really really bad and I totally understand where he's at. Thats scary Poppy. I'd avoid him like the plague.
    Yeah, I haven't talked to him in a long time. He's not exactly a great example of a healthy person.
    Sweet as pie, though.

violaine

We talked about it quickly in PM and I understand you don't think any of us are narcissistic Poppy, but I would hate for any of the shyer INFJs not to add to this thread for fear of it coming off as grandstanding. INFJs are rather prone to shame in that way. I thought the stories in this thread were interesting though I didn't take the op that seriously.

No, you aren't a jerk at all, lol.
    Last edited by violaine; 08-03-2009 at 08:18 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    INFj

Corrupt people usually tend to notice that I don't fall into their social traps. I don't kiss up to them and absolutely refuse to fall into their obvious manipulative situations. And they hate this. I don't see why some people can't just be straight up and honest with others. Why use people? They're human beings, not toys. You can get plenty far in life without having to use people at all. I have little to no tolerance for narcissism, and thus most narcissists can't stand me. I couldn't care less because they're arrogant jerks, but I hope none of them ever tries to assissinate me.
    +1

Better dead than ESxx.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    We talked about it quickly in PM and I understand you don't think any of us are narcissistic Poppy, but I would hate for any of the shyer INFJs not to add to this thread for fear of it coming off as grandstanding. INFJs are rather prone to shame in that way. I thought the stories in this thread were interesting though I didn't take the op that seriously.

No, you aren't a jerk at all, lol.
    I actually was kind of afraid to answer because people might think I think too highly of myself.

Thing is, I've always wanted to (and I think I will) work for the UN, Amnesty or any suchlike org after I get my degree.

I've been made aware (esp by my parents) of the dangers of working as a volunteer (kidnappings, abductions, etc.) but I honestly don't care.

Sometimes, it even adds to the excitement.

I guess if INFJs have this tendency of wanting that sort of work, it's likely they'll lead dangerous lives.
    Yes, I take it with no cream and no sugar.

And yes, some of us drink it bitter.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by whatusername View Post
    I actually was kind of afraid to answer because people might think I think too highly of myself.
    Yes, know the feeling. (I don't care about that here anymore tbh but it took a while to get comfortable!) Glad you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by whatusername View Post
    Thing is, I've always wanted to (and I think I will) work for the UN, Amnesty or any suchlike org after I get my degree.

I've been made aware (esp by my parents) of the dangers of working as a volunteer (kidnappings, abductions, etc.) but I honestly don't care.

Sometimes, it even adds to the excitement.

I guess if INFJs have this tendency of wanting that sort of work, it's likely they'll lead dangerous lives.

Cool! Hmm, I do wonder if the need to feel tangibly effective is part of it? I used to work in child protection but it ended up not being a front line position. I couldn't see tangible results for effort quickly enough coupled with that there was a lot of infighting and jockeying for position; people lost sight of the work. I became very frustrated/disillusioned in that job.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    Yes, know the feeling. (I don't care about that here anymore tbh but it took a while to get comfortable!) Glad you posted.

Cool! Hmm, I do wonder if the need to feel tangibly effective is part of it? I used to work in child protection but it ended up not being a front line position. I couldn't see tangible results for effort quickly enough coupled with that there was a lot of infighting and jockeying for position; people lost sight of the work. I became very frustrated/disillusioned in that job.
    I think that's a big part of it. I highly doubt my choice of words, but I think it's all part of this "meaning of my life/ dying with some meaning" thing I have.

Again, I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, but I feel like if I don't end up going into that kind of work, any occupation I do would just not "mean anything." I think I'm making a mess of what it is I'm trying to say though. Hehe.

If I do encounter that sort of office politics as you have, I'm pretty sure I'd leave, too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh, and I like the frontline/grassroots positions, as well. Guess there's the danger of it.

I think if we're too far removed from all the "conflicts" we're supposed to "help resolve," it'll look pointless to us.