• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs in awkward social situations.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm wondering if other INFPs feel the same way in very awkward and uncomfortable social situations. When I'm in such a situation I tend to get very anxious and feel like what I would describe as a very poor ISTP. I'm very focused on what's immediately in front of me and can only really make very simple, logical decisions about it. My I and P feel exaggerated way more than usual. It's like I'm stuck in a fight or flight mode and very confused about it.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ha! I just realized I could compare it to my chest imploding. :)

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
Ha! I just realized I could compare it to my chest imploding. :)

You're still teasing me about that? Yes, I get socially anxious, too, but it's only natural when we have more to risk than other types, feeling conflict more intensely when it happens.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
what happens is I usually freeze.I don't want to leave the person and hurt their feelings, because I'm sure their interesting, but awkward is awkward. I know we're all awkward at times. I also hope that the awkwardness will pass, but at the same time I'm wondering if I shouldn't just to leave. I get so confused about what to do.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This used to happen to me, now I just ignore how many people are around and it helps a lot. I also try to get to know one or two key people if I can so I don't end up having to feel alone either. Can't let those situations paralyse me, I'd miss flights and work if I did.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm wondering if other INFPs feel the same way in very awkward and uncomfortable social situations. When I'm in such a situation I tend to get very anxious and feel like what I would describe as a very poor ISTP. I'm very focused on what's immediately in front of me and can only really make very simple, logical decisions about it. My I and P feel exaggerated way more than usual. It's like I'm stuck in a fight or flight mode and very confused about it.

Are you familiar with the cognitive functions?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Same here, but she smaller the group the less anxious I am.Especially if the person is friendly and talkative, it's contagious in a good way that is.:)

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
when I'm doing things that I doubt rather I should or shouldn't be doing them, I get a gut feeling and it turns very awkward. One such an example, I can remember, was I was riding with one of my friends in a car with three of his other older friends, and they I got really nervous, and worried about things like..he's driving to fast..I hope they don't bring out any drugs or anything..I hope my parents don't see me..I hope we don't get in an accident..ahh! It's really an uncomfortable feeling..

Anyways, I don't know if this was even close to what you were trying to ask about, but It is the awkwardness I feel in some social situations..

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

lol this happens with me and im quite obviously and ENFP

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah, I've been there on many occasions. I think sometimes I come across as being cold and uncaring because of this. When I'm tense I don't want anyone around me and I just want to get the job done. I tend to be analytical about everything when I'm in the zone.