• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] As an NFP, how can I strengthen my STJ? Any ideas?

NashK

MBTI Type
INFP
It's always great to understand ourselves better and more in depth (although some would like to just remain ignorant and blissful), but my personal interest is more in growth through knowledge of the self.

That's why after reading so many condemning essays on the "subjective decision-making" of F's, the "up-in-the-skies", non-practical bent of the N, and disorderly impulsiveness of my P, I'd like to finally find some exercises or analyzing tools which can help me balance out my STJ weaknesses.

Has anyone a clue of resources for this kind of thing, or just some plain old practical advice?

Thanks

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Or be an older brother who was expected to take care of the little ones

An excercise I like doing is taking a dream of mine and subjecting it to analysis of the resources it takes and my ablility to get those resources. Try and be as detailed as possible

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
being a science major has helped me immensely....

i would stick to things like chemistry if you want to develope Te....physics and calc are more Ti (although many Te people excel at calc and physics...)

also, as you age (ENFP) your aspirational Si will kick in and you hate how nothing you do ever results in a symbolic accomplishment.

-you'll stop being happy with just a story board for some crazy story you dreamed up on sunday morning...youll be more driven to actually finish a detailed script to appease your Si aspiration.

-you'll stop being happy with just having a global sense of subjects. you'll start to feel the desire to finish a degree just so that you can have that object (degree) that indicates you DID something.

most ENFP's already have descent use of Te if they've done any school at all. its really the Si thats the key for ENFPs developing the ISTJ part of themselves.

i think it goes for every type that eventually the 4th function becomes the backbone of the type where they wake up and realize:

(ENFP) shit! none of my crazy new ideas really matter if i cant get a handle on whats actaully been done by me or anyone (Si)

(ENTJ) shit! none of this effecieny and projects really matters if its not in line with my values (Fi)

ESFJ) shit! none of this APPROPRAITEness matters if it doesnt make sense...eventually, i need to figure out the actaul point of all this social shit, the why, how etc (Ti)

im not saying we ever SUCCEED to a great degree with the 4th functions. for instance: the ESFJs i know play all kinds of cross words/ sudokus and other childish versions of Ti. the ENFP may go through childish expressions of Si by going ultra organized and OCD in the video games he's beaten, the movies he needs to see, the items of a collection that he needs next etc...

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
join the police academy. ;)

Eye-In-TiPi

MBTI Type
INTP
Have some kids, or like runvardh said just take care of some. Maybe you could get a job at a daycare and ask to be put in charge of kids between 2 and 4. They'll bring out your inner SJ. My kids turn me into a drill instructor on a regular basis.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
To the OP: Great question. I'd love to turn it around and ask you how you, as an NFP, would strengthen your NFP.

It was hard for me to think of an answer to this. For S: pretend you live in a museum for a day. Everything in your living space has to be in perfect order. The smallest speck of dust has to be wiped off any surface, and everything should be labeled and organized impeccably. If someone wears shoes on your brand new carpet, yell at them. Don't put a boiling pot of water on a wood table. This should give you attention to detail.

For T/J: Schedule an itinerary for a day and stick to it. During the day, try not to make impulsive decisions, but stick to the schedule. Always be conscious of the time and check your watch often. At each appointment, think ahead about what the next errand is and keep track of time to make sure you get there with time to spare. Be prepared for transportation delays and any other unexpected thing during the day (e.g. bring aspirin for headaches, an umbrella, etc).

Raising kids is probably the best way to strengthen STJ!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
dnivera, it's mostly about sitting down, relaxing and letting your mind run. I've you're able to give yourself a block of time for it and then not focus on how much time you have that's a start. If you can give a day to it you can let the sun keep the time for you while you mostly just relax, let what's inside bubble up, and play with it.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i don't have good Te at all :D. it's pretty much the ENFP achilles heel. honestly, i'm not sure i want to develop my S too much at all. maybe baby improvements, but not much.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP

Yep, that is so very true. I think it has helped me tremendously. I've been out for 4 years and sometimes I wonder where I would be if I hadn't enlisted.

Although, I'm not sure it is wise to advise anyone to enlist with the current state of affairs.

heart

heart on fire
For Ti-- Read Philosophy
For Te -- Read History

I would think drawing would help increase S, or writing vivid descriptions of what you see in your daily life. Neither has to be good, just private practice for you.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Does anybody besides me worry that there are better and worse ways for an NFP to strengthen STJ and wonder what the better ways and worse ways are?

Anybody besides me ever experienced becoming productive whilst simultaneously experiencing no joy in life and feeling dead inside?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anybody besides me worry that there are better and worse ways for an NFP to strengthen STJ and wonder what the better ways and worse ways are?

Anybody besides me ever experienced becoming productive whilst simultaneously experiencing no joy in life and feeling dead inside?

That's from letting STJ take over too much; it's a balance, not an aggressive buyout.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
i don't have good Te at all :D. it's pretty much the ENFP achilles heel. honestly, i'm not sure i want to develop my S too much at all. maybe baby improvements, but not much.

Woah woah woah... not at all. It's our "relief." It isn't some unreachable function towards which we're hostile. It actually comes up more often than you might realize. The Si, on the other hand, that's the achilles heel. It's caused me more angst and frustration than I can say.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
How to improve Se, NF style.

Here's an exercise you can use to improve your Se skills without resorting to military training or competitive sports.

Nameless Hero

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
I spent 8 years in the US Marine Corps, becoming a Sergeant in the infantry (O341). However, that did not seem to work. My intuition did everything, and feeling (in the form of determination) did the rest. :blush:

Man, they thought I was a weird Marine!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like Heart's suggestion about history. It's funny because an ISFJ I talk to says I'm secretly ISTJ because I love history. It does seem like something that could help you with Si/Te, I suppose.

Also, put yourself in a situation where you truly don't have anyone to rely on but yourself. I'm seriously talking about removing yourself from family, friends, safety nets. That'll develop your inner STJ faster than you may like.

Or just be raised by STJs like I was.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yes, this happened to me in college. I was a straight A student, worked, had my own place, yadda yadda yadda.

After 3 1/2 years I dropped out of school because I figured taking a break (or quitting) was preferable to drowning myself in the Kanawha river.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure I'm like... going in the opposite direction of this.

There goes my dreams of getting an STJ... :blushing: