• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs(maybe SFs too?) and "emotional absorption"

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've been so upset and grieved that I've gone into black low laughter that won't stop. You know. The final straw? That's what overload looks like on me.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
What I do find interesting is the difference in reaction people have to the same "stimuli". I'd say I have an average empathy level but I "digest" it differently than most people I know who get "highly" stimulated "(it seems at least.) but tend to forget about it way faster...or maybe I'm just obsessive :D.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
Oh...so this post wasn't necessary ._.
Secretly I'm a wannabe T, then I could enjoy scary movies without having nightmares....xD. My t friends sure do :yes: I was always excited to go with them at first, I proposed the idea then I was too scared to do it again...kinda pathetic if you ask me :D

Not all Ts like scary movies.

Anyway, I personally hate watching gory, bloody, scary or pathetically tragic and depressing stuff. I internalize it and analyze the **** out of it for a couple of days afterwards. Yuck. It would be more fun to eat 100 cloves of garlic and then sit and stew in my own sweat for a week.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Not all Ts like scary movies.

Anyway, I personally hate watching gory, bloody, scary or pathetically tragic and depressing stuff. I internalize it and analyze the **** out of it for a couple of days afterwards. Yuck. It would be more fun to eat 100 cloves of garlic and then sit and stew in my own sweat for a week.

My point wasn't that all Ts liked scary movies, just that they probably cope better with irrational fears (aka monsters etc..well that also has to do with maturity xD) because they're probably more likely to headtrip it. Actually what you said is exactly what I meant, you analyzed your fear rather than letting it get to you...I got traumatized by a scary movie and had to wait over two months or three. When I was a kid I wasn't scare, i didn't know what was going on it actually got worse as I grew older which doesn't make much sense :shock:but..That's when I drew the line.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
Actually what you said is exactly what I meant, you analyzed your fear rather than letting it get to you...

It still gets to me despite my near constant analysis of the plot, motivations of the characters... etc. Thinking on such horrible things is not a comfort, yet I am inexplicably compelled to see every angle of the plot, despite the fact that I hate every minute of it.

As a moth to flame.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I can completely relate to the...I still wanna watch part I always used to have wide open eyes and take in every scene, then regret it. After regretting over five times I decided to stop the self-torture.^^ The only movie that didn't scare me was the original version of dark water, it was just "gloomy" in my opinion.)I mean some movies are just bad and no one is scared of them and vice-versa.I heard the ring and the exorcist were pretty scary but I didn't touch that, I really wanted to though>.> .

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks for the link. I'm familiar with HSP but hadn't heard of the Empath (outside of general empathy) before. That describes me to a T.

Now how to learn to cope in an environment filled with conflict? I just wish there was a way to turn it off.