User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I haven't seen many horror movies and generally try to avoid them. Like the Saw movies? I haven't seen them but I've heard about them. Just the premise behind them creeps me out. Putting people into traps and forcing them to make impossible decisions. That freaks me out even more than the violence I think. I didn't like 1984 for the same reason (Room 101). But there are some horror movies I can handle. Army of Darkness I liked (haven't seen the other Evil Dead movies) and this (** WARNING GRAPHIC LINK **) looks cool, which oddly enough is by the same guys who made the Saw movies. It's like a modern Rocky Horror Picture Show. I guess I can handle horror if the weirdness out-factors the scary. I prefer scary music to scary movies.

MBTI
    ENFP

Its funny, I just posted a comment about my aversion to a movie called Wolf Creek in another thread here a few minutes ago... its one of those abduction/torture movies based on real events and has really affected me quite badly - to the extent that I'm not sure if I will ever be able to visit Australia!

I also tend to feel any kind of pain from descriptions & graphics - like my sister is a nurse & often describes some of the things she does and I go weak at the knees - I pray god that I will never need a cessarian section after her describing it... **insides cringing at the thought**

Then on the other hand - when the pain is actually happening to me - I'm quite strong... I was very accident prone early in life and the horrible things that happened to me didn't phase me - but show me the sight of someone elses blood or suffering and I am out cold or upset lol!

MBTI
    INFP

Proteanmix,"NFS(maybe SFs too?)", they are included.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Emotional absorption = emotional contagion, really.

Interestingly, of all the people I know, the one who most could not handle horror movies was my xSTJ ex-housemate. She reacted very viscerally to graphic depictions of pain and actually would run out of the room because she said she could almost feel it happening to her. So this kind of empathy is not limited to Ns, or indeed, Fs.

As for emotional contagion, she was impervious to it, except where she saw examples of extreme injustice or unfairness being committed in the world - then she would get very upset.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Emotional absorption = emotional contagion, really.

Interestingly, of all the people I know, the one who most could not handle horror movies was my xSTJ ex-housemate. She reacted very viscerally to graphic depictions of pain and actually would run out of the room because she said she could almost feel it happening to her. So this kind of empathy is not limited to Ns, or indeed, Fs.

As for emotional contagion, she was impervious to it, except where she saw examples of extreme injustice or unfairness being committed in the world - then she would get very upset.
    That's interesting, I know many Ts and they handle it well, guess it really depends on people then.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    That's interesting, I know many Ts and they handle it well, guess it really depends on people then.
    She's also a sensor. The images may resonate with her more concretely than with an N.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFJ

This is a big problem for me at work. I am upset to distraction and find it difficult to focus when I know my boss (probably bipolar or borderline personality disorder) is upset with me. What makes her upset? Nothing, anything--she's very capricious, and has been upset with me generally for the past eight months. And when she's upset with someone (before me, it was another lawyer in the office who was bullied for almost a year until she finally left) nobody else in the office will speak to you for fear of being on her bad side too... you are isolated.

I try and try to turn off my "emotional absorption" but cannot. Everyone tells me to stop worrying, to stop thinking about it, but it's not like there's a switch!

MBTI
    INFJ

Re: horror/gory movies... my husband and I watch them almost every night. We make fun of them and predict who will die and how. (Sometimes we bet on this!) The exceptions--Saw and Hostel--just too... something. For some reason we draw the line there.

We rarely watch dramas though, they are often depressing.

MBTI
    INFP

yeah, I hate it when people tell me "get over it..let it go, it'll pass" I obsess over personal problems, can't help it, tried though.It's true I can stand violence to a certain extent, torture no...especially not the hostel/saw kind.That's just too gruesome for people, my other friend was laughing almost to tears next to me! Me and my other friend were a bit disturbed by that but oh well...everyone has their reactions I guess. It sucks that it's your boss :/...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

RE: emotional absorption. Perhaps you are an Empath, which there are varying degrees of.