User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NFs(maybe SFs too?) and "emotional absorption"

heart on fire Array

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    man, i can't say how much i agree with this thread. i like being happy, i like being happy all the time. however, whenever something sad happens to me, someone i know, whatever it is i get emotionally wrapped up. all i can think about will be those mean words that somebody said or why the two characters couldn't have a happy ending. SF's can get very emotional indeed but i DISAGREE that they get the same kind of involvement the NF's do (unfortunately perhaps for us). SF's from my own observation get wrapped up only about themselves or people really close to them. if they see a beggar on the streets or see something sad on TV, they would not think twice about it.
    This is not true at all from my own experience with SF.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

really guys? i'm keen to hear it. my ESFP friend has often blew of homeless guys looking for change, he teased me during primary school without feeling remorse... the list goes on and all this is justified to him because they're not close to him (or they weren't in my case).

it's kinda the same for my ISFP friend. makes fun of people he doesn't know all the time eg. people in McD's, people on the streets, you know the deal. people who are really close to him though? no way.

if you want to say that teasing is different from being 'emotionally absorbed' i have seen them laugh at people who are in sticky situations too. it just doesn't seem to phase them.

Plumage and Moult Array proteanmix's Avatar
    Enneagram
    1w2

really guys? i'm keen to hear it. my ESFP friend has often blew of homeless guys looking for change, he teased me during primary school without feeling remorse... the list goes on and all this is justified to him because they're not close to him (or they weren't in my case).

it's kinda the same for my ISFP friend. makes fun of people he doesn't know all the time eg. people in McD's, people on the streets, you know the deal. people who are really close to him though? no way.

if you want to say that teasing is different from being 'emotionally absorbed' i have seen them laugh at people who are in sticky situations too. it just doesn't seem to phase them.
    You're basing a comment of that magnitude on your two SF friends? LOL.

This is why I hate threads like this.

"NFs do you feel the rain on your cheeks?" And then a chorus of replies responding, Yes, Yes I do!! And I was moved to tear so that the rain and the tears mingled so that I could no longer tell the difference!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Guerilla Urbanist Array Brendan's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dwigie View Post
    I'm sure this must happen to a lot of you, for example you guys are witnessing a fight in the street and will feel uneasy for an hour or two even though you had nothing to do with the fight and might actually become agressive yourself in other to "purge" the emotion. You're pretty much like a sponge...
    It's quite annoying actually, I remember watching a documentary where someone had been attacked and gotten his hand cut off by rebels in Haiti I believe I felt a weird sensation in my arm and was paranoid for the next four days o.o.
    Or for example someone tells you about something painful and you get tingly all over, weak in the knees for example. Happens to me all the time, I saw three minutes of SAW III with a friend thinking: ha, I can handle it.
    I still remember the scene....disgusting, I decided to stay away from violent and scary movies forever after that. Does anyone else have to literally shut themselves off from the world periodically before they lose their sanity?
    I experience things like that whenever someone relates the experience of physical pain, mostly extreme but sometimes minor. It's very evident when we're talking about prolonged pain though.

Today, as a matter of fact, a co-worker in his 60's had taken off his neoprene knee brace and left it on a table. The knee brace itself gave me chills. The coworker in question was nowhere in my immediate vicinity. Looking at the scar from my mother's knee replacement will give me chills as well.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    You're basing a comment of that magnitude on your two SF friends? LOL.

This is why I hate threads like this.

"NFs do you feel the rain on your cheeks?" And then a chorus of replies responding, Yes, Yes I do!! And I was moved to tear so that the rain and the tears mingled so that I could no longer tell the difference!
    well i can't talk too much out of my own experiences now can i? and plus, same MBTI types have a shocking amount of similarities across the board. i wouold aprreciate it if you could give me some examples of your own experiences or quote some literature rather than just continually say "no you're full of shit".

MBTI
    INFP

well i can't talk too much out of my own experiences now can i? and plus, same MBTI types have a shocking amount of similarities across the board. i wouold aprreciate it if you could give me some examples of your own experiences or quote some literature rather than just continually say "no you're full of shit".
    The emotional absorption in the OP is not the same kind of emotional absorption you cited in your post.

The OP was referring to being like an emotional sponge.. you related to us how your SF friends are "emotionally absorbed".. There is a big difference.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    The emotional absorption in the OP is not the same kind of emotional absorption you cited in your post.

The OP was referring to being like an emotional sponge.. you related to us how your SF friends are "emotionally absorbed".. There is a big difference.
    elaborate, don't sponges absorb? do you mean that one would just find emotional triggers in everything and that the other one just can't find a way out of it?

MBTI
    INFP

The OP was talking about how she absorbs the emotions of others.. the stories you told were more indicative of "self-absorption". Pretty much the opposite of being an emotional sponge.

heart on fire Array

I have an ISFP friend who can barely stand to watch the evening news because she feels too deeply about what she sees and feels powerless to help so many people. It's just wrong to assume that SF cannot feel for strangers. I'm sure we can draw up examples of selfish people from all the types.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I have an ISFP friend who can barely stand to watch the evening news because she feels too deeply about what she sees and feels powerless to help so many people. It's just wrong to assume that SF cannot feel for strangers. I'm sure we can draw up examples of selfish people from all the types.
    okay, i can accept that. i apologize for jumping to conclusions.