• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] You ENFP's watch the news?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
ok, ENFP's are very much supposed to know what's going on in society. i think it's only logical that we watch the news right? ironically, i just can't stand it. let's face it, the news is not the most positive thing on TV. the dark stories are the ones that are airable. whenever i hear about so many people dying in a tornado or rapists on the loose, i can't help but help to feel sad, and i just don't like things like that. i just can't separate myself from what's happening on the news and my own feelings. am i alone in this?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok, ENFP's are very much supposed to know what's going on in society. i think it's only logical that we watch the news right? ironically, i just can't stand it. let's face it, the news is not the most positive thing on TV. the dark stories are the ones that are airable. whenever i hear about so many people dying in a tornado or rapists on the loose, i can't help but help to feel sad, and i just don't like things like that. i just can't separate myself from what's happening on the news and my own feelings. am i alone in this?

Nope. I don't watch the news. First, it's sensationalized, negative crap. Second, it isn't usually accurate. Third, I'm too busy. Fourth, I don't give a crap half the time.

Okay, that was not a politically correct answer, but it is the truth.

Now let's assume something interesting actually does attract my attention. Then, I am most likely to read about it rather than watch the news, which is innundated with 30 second TV clips about this or that. That does not mean that the written form is any better, but if any form could be better, it would be the written version.

Just my opinion.

stopandstare

MBTI Type
ENFP
Sensory overload

Me neither, I rarely watch it unless there is something awful after happening and I need to get my head around it! All that seems to be on the news is politics... I hate politics... maybe its just Irish politics because I have no idea what its like everywhere else but all those empty promises and clapping eachother on the back for cutting a ribbon drives me crazy!

This is awful - but big wars & conflict stories don't phase me at all, I switch off, I'm de-sensitized, however show me a story about one person in that zone where I have gotton to know them and I am inconsolable!

Our problem is probably that we are tired of most of what is on the news, we need something new to whet our appetites unless it is something that affects us personally in some way... god that sounds awfully selfish - maybe I'll watch the news this evening! :shock:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Me neither, I rarely watch it unless there is something awful after happening and I need to get my head around it! All that seems to be on the news is politics... I hate politics... maybe its just Irish politics because I have no idea what its like everywhere else but all those empty promises and clapping eachother on the back for cutting a ribbon drives me crazy!

This is awful - but big wars & conflict stories don't phase me at all, I switch off, I'm de-sensitized, however show me a story about one person in that zone where I have gotton to know them and I am inconsolable!

Our problem is probably that we are tired of most of what is on the news, we need something new to whet our appetites unless it is something that affects us personally in some way... god that sounds awfully selfish - maybe I'll watch the news this evening! :shock:
Trust us, politicians are the same all around the world...

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I watch the news a lot. I like to know what's going on in the world, but I also have to be very careful of what I take in, because I get very upset when I see others suffering. So, I have to be discriminating sometimes.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Yes, I watch the news. I like to keep a pulse on everything.

But, as LadyJaye said I have to be careful with myself. There is a local news program here that features an orphaned child that is available for adoption once a week, I have to be really careful NOT to watch it because then I get very very sad and worry about the child for forever, literally.

I plan on adopting in a few years, but it is too much for me to watch children without families on tv trying to find a family.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Not being an ENFP I don't know how to answer that question.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, I watch the news. I like to keep a pulse on everything.

But, as LadyJaye said I have to be careful with myself. There is a local news program here that features an orphaned child that is available for adoption once a week, I have to be really careful NOT to watch it because then I get very very sad and worry about the child for forever, literally.

ACK! I do the same thing! :| They featured a bunch of wee Russian orphans in the newspaper several months ago - they were being adopted by people in our area. But, one of the little boys didn't find a family, so he had to go back to Russia, and he kept pointing at the foster parent's house and crying and saying " Home! Home!" I cried so hard when I read that. I couldn't stop tearing up about it for days. Something about seeing a little guy in his Pooh Bear shoes and weeping was too much for me. I still wonder where he is, if he's okay and if he found a home. I even still remember his name. Poor little man.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i'm glad i'm not alone in this one. group no.1-sign-that-you're-an-ENFP. :hug:

if we can establish one thing is that we all feel sad when we watch other people suffer (well, most of us :yes:). i would very much like to be able to watch the news just to keep an eye on the no.1 forces governing our world (i don't just mean governments). i really don't know if it's in me though probably won't even be concentrating by the time that stuff comes on.

edit: who gave this thread one star? :steam:

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
ACK! I do the same thing! :| They featured a bunch of wee Russian orphans in the newspaper several months ago - they were being adopted by people in our area. But, one of the little boys didn't find a family, so he had to go back to Russia, and he kept pointing at the foster parent's house and crying and saying " Home! Home!" I cried so hard when I read that. I couldn't stop tearing up about it for days. Something about seeing a little guy in his Pooh Bear shoes and weeping was too much for me. I still wonder where he is, if he's okay and if he found a home. I even still remember his name. Poor little man.

I actually teared up reading this. On top of being an orphan, taken to a foreign country and then the ONLY one not adopted -- WOW. I certainly understand why you would remember his name and that image of him, this would haunt me for sure.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
I watch the news if there's nothing else on. There's pretty funny stuff on it sometimes, like a monkey in a tunnel (or something like that). Hehe.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I actually teared up reading this. On top of being an orphan, taken to a foreign country and then the ONLY one not adopted -- WOW. I certainly understand why you would remember his name and that image of him, this would haunt me for sure.

Oh man, it was horrible. My poor twin sister was patting me on the back for weeks after I read that article. Life can be dismally hard for people who are armed for it, but that wee man had next to nothing. I tell you, I would have adopted that child on the spot if I had been there. lol

Funny, I teared up when I read your post because I related to how you felt.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I used to watch the news everyday until I entered college. I'd always know what was happening. (I also recall an episode, when I was 8 years old or something, where I saw an image of an african child that was ultra skinny due to hunger on the news, and bursted into tears uncontrollably immediately. Even at the time I had found it odd that I was crying like that.)

But nowadays I don't watch the news anymore. It's crap. They don't pay importance to truly important stuff and just do the whole sensationalist act.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
yeah, that is true. i don't think they focus on what's important at all. when i hear about some hitchhiker who got killed or something, it's not gonna mean much in the grand scheme of things. all that does is make me feel sad that something like that happened. isn't that just completely unhealthy?

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Once in a while I do.. like for weather/traffic. I try not to since most of news shown in the U.S. is filtered biased garbage.

I read up on current world events from various online sources.

stopandstare

MBTI Type
ENFP
The effect of TV

This is kinda related - like the effect TV can have on me - I once watched a movie called Wolf Creek about an abduction and torture in the outback in Oz. God only knows why I watched it but I did... any way, I couldn't sleep for well over a week after it and still have random nightmares every so often from it! Everyong my age here is immigrating to Oz at the moment but I just can't even think about it because of how strongly I reacted to that film! I even get shivers and fearful just looking at that shack on the front of the Australian lonely planet book! Its like I actually went through the ordeal myself... how sad is that... :ohmy:

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Oh man, it was horrible. My poor twin sister was patting me on the back for weeks after I read that article. Life can be dismally hard for people who are armed for it, but that wee man had next to nothing. I tell you, I would have adopted that child on the spot if I had been there. lol

Funny, I teared up when I read your post because I related to how you felt.

:hug:

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
i'm glad i'm not alone in this one. group no.1-sign-that-you're-an-ENFP. :hug:

if we can establish one thing is that we all feel sad when we watch other people suffer (well, most of us :yes:). i would very much like to be able to watch the news just to keep an eye on the no.1

I don't.... I almost never cry in front of a TV, except when I am tired (or down which doesn't happen a lot)

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
i try to but it always makes me angry and i often find i don't necessarily know who's opinion's most valid or which "facts" are most correct.

i like listening to npr though.