• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Why are you so quiet?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Heh, I'm one of the loudest when in the right mood.

Yes, it's funny because I scream louder than most people I know even though I answer with a tiny voice on the phone and I don't talk that much lol:D...then they get scared :blink:

Pavilion

MBTI Type
INTP
do you guys talk a lot amongst your close friends though?
Depends on what's being talked about, but since we're talking about my mostly N friends my answer is yes, most of the time. My extroverted friends can be pretty exhausting though and I might start the process of recharging my mental batteries while they're still around.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
do you guys talk a lot amongst your close friends though?

Yeah, sometimes I'm the brains of the discussion, other times I'm the counter point. I do need rest from even that, however, I'm just able to sustain longer and get a rest during while in that situation.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am so sick of this question, it's usually asked like an accusation. It's like if you're not shooting your mouth off all the time and saying something and trying to get the attention everybody gets all concerned and sooner or later one of them asks THE question. It is so irritating because usually they are interrupting a very good train of thought. Does any other INFP's or other introverts get this?!

Ironically, I'm just hoping you'll STFU.

(Referring to my bet, of course. ;))

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I can relate to this, too. Apparently when I'm deep in thought I look depressed because I'm not consciously controlling my facial expression. This is especially true when I'm enjoying a pleasant daydream. I guess I must look sad about it, but I think it has more to do with neutral being the new negative. Positive gets counted as neutral, so a smile is considered normal; neutral gets counted as negative, so a blank expression is considered unpleasant; and negative gets counted as taboo, so it isn't expected at all. At least that's how it seems to me. The problem is that it becomes very difficult to express something positive in a subtle way that still carries the full power of the meaning, and it becomes an embarrassment to cry no matter how intense the negative feelings are, leading to an unhealthy buildup. Maybe I'm the one who has shifted things in the wrong direction and it's all a matter of appropriate perspective, but to me it seems like most people are slightly askew.

I totally agree with you about neutral being counted as negative. I often smile inwardly, and tend to think that I look happy when my expression in fact is completely blank. My classmates have actually called me "stone-face" a few times.

I have also been told that I look angry. I think they might have seen me concentrate very hard.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
To ban or not to ban: that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous embarrassment,
Or to take arms against a sea of n00bs,
And by opposing, ban them?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You made the bet, buddy.

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
To ban or not to ban: that is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous embarrassment,
Or to take arms against a sea of n00bs,
And by opposing, ban them?

Waxing poetic are we? Shakespeare has risen! I believe this makes number 20 and Hmm the winner :party: Pay up!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WOOOOOO HOOOOO !!!! EDAHN IS GOING DOWN :bananallama:

sophiedoph

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am so sick of this question, it's usually asked like an accusation. It's like if you're not shooting your mouth off all the time and saying something and trying to get the attention everybody gets all concerned and sooner or later one of them asks THE question. It is so irritating because usually they are interrupting a very good train of thought. Does any other INFP's or other introverts get this?!

I don't--I generally appear extraverted initially. It's my NF need to make the other person(s) feel comfortable. I listen much more than I talk after ppl get to know me, though. As my intern said, "When I come in your office I feel like I'm back in high school visiting my school counselor." :blush:

When I need to recharge I disappear. Sometimes for months... or more.

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
I get this a lot, or something similar like: "Cheer up, it may never happen!", often when I'm in a perfectly happy mood, quietly contemplating inner landscapes or whatever.

Unhappily, it is not socially appropriate to reply with:

"Pasting a cheesy grin on my face just to please others involves maintaining a level of attention to grim outer reality which can seriously disrupt my serene introspections, so I'll pass, thank you!"

Lol if you dont mind i'm borrowing that one for the next time i get "Cheer up it may never happen" :D

Tropics

MBTI Type
INFP
You're not NF Kayin but you are an introvert I think it's an "I" thing.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Some people just don't understand. I've been asked this question and on most tests I score 99 on extraversion. So don't feel bad.

Brooke

MBTI Type
infj
After being asked why I'm so quiet I usually try to respond with something appropriate, such as "Why are you so stupid?". :)