User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFPs and the "disappearance" syndrome

I've noticed this to be reccurent in my entire life (ok it's not been that long:rolli that I tend to dissolve in the background. I can literally stand between two people and listen to their private conversation and they won't notice, I don't even have to try. People never realize I'm there, it's magical. I must say I enjoy it most of the time but sometimes it's a pain in the butt. I also tend to completely detach from groups of people and dissapear to go "do my own thing" and be reported missing for 30 minutes until my classmates realize I was just taking a walk, talking to a friend..far away. I even randomly walked out of a classroom without permission and was never caught. do other infps sense this "dissolvement" in the background, being completely transparent to people?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, it's help full when you don't want to be caught up in some kind of stupidity; but it sucks when trying to crack into a conversation or when you're getting bitched out for dissapearing.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I'd say INTPs often have this phenomenon too, unless we're somehow the center of attention in the group (at which point others will mentally keep track of us).
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I'd say INTPs often have this phenomenon too, unless we're somehow the center of attention in the group (at which point others will mentally keep track of us).
    I'm tempted to see this as an IN phenomenon.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Agreed. Also agree with the fact that it's a pain in the ass sometimes though I suppose it's just human nature to ignore things that are less prominent than say, the ENTP over there with their arms flailing about telling their big story.

So what's the solution? Either be the center of attention by default like Spir said (i.e. be the group leader) or just somehow stay engaged in the conversation as best you can while adding little bits of your own. Still working on this myself but yeah.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I'm tempted to see this as an IN phenomenon.
    Yes, you're probably right it's not just infps. En's have it easier in that department, my little sister is an enfp, people flock like birds to her but she tries to copy my "solitary attitude" it just doesn't suit her, it's not even "natural" for her, she's a social butterfly naturally, being a crank is not "cool" she should look up to better "social" examples and just have fun.She's just 12...
    I'm sure all the INs out there don't like to "flail out their arms"..it's so awkward to ask for attention o.O...actually I hate constant attention but I like to be heard when I have something important to say..unfortunately it doesn't work out. I always ask the person next to me to ask a question for me in class, I rarely speak directly to teachers xD.Some of them thought I was mute...

MBTI
    INFJ

Haha, wow. This sounds a bit like me too... I'm an INFJ though, and I don't think there are many things like this which you can easily define as being for example an INFP-thing, exclusive for this or that four-letter type. After all, what with the INFP functions would make invisibility "INFP-ish"? Surely Introversion is important, but more than that? Or is it that you know of more people with this "syndrome", and they are all INFPs?

I have an odd feeling that I can make myself invisible at times, when almost running into someone I don't want to talk to and things like that. I know it sounds stupid, but I can't really shake it off... if it's not that, then it's because people are so extremely unaware of their surroundings to a point beyond my understanding... :rolli:

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Yes! It's as though I am blending into the backdrop of things..and I have a tendency of "skipping out" or just disappearing when no one is paying any attention.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
    Haha, wow. This sounds a bit like me too... I'm an INFJ though, and I don't think there are many things like this which you can easily define as being for example an INFP-thing, exclusive for this or that four-letter type. After all, what with the INFP functions would make invisibility "INFP-ish"? Surely Introversion is important, but more than that? Or is it that you know of more people with this "syndrome", and they are all INFPs?

I have an odd feeling that I can make myself invisible at times, when almost running into someone I don't want to talk to and things like that. I know it sounds stupid, but I can't really shake it off... if it's not that, then it's because people are so extremely unaware of their surroundings to a point beyond my understanding... :rolli:
    Yes! That's exactly what I mean, I did kind of narrow it down to much to infps, it's just that I'm only learning now to differenciate types so it doesn't jump to me who's intp who's estj right away. I guess it's an "I" thing then?(how about the isfp for example?)

This happens every now and then. It was actually amusing in school where I could freely set up my pranks and no one would notice. Which felt stupid since I was infront of the whole time. The same when walking into a group of people or near someone, doing my thing and then saying something, at what moment everyone has a heart attack over me suddenly appearing or 'sneaking around'.