• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Storytellers?

SwimmerGal97

Hey, I think I'm some sort of NF and was wondering if anyone here could relate to this. I narrate my life, everything I do, everywhere I go its like a little dialogue in my head that talks back at me, my life is like a sceries of mini scenes which I describe in detail, it allows me to explore my emotions from an outside inside point of view (I'm aware that makes no sense, but its like its still personal, my analysis of emotions doesn't become cold but its a way of allowing me to see the big picture, the way an author can see their whole story). It's very useful for memory actually, I can remember the weirdest, seemingly small moments in my life from years ago because of how I described it to myself. If I could slow my thoughts down enough gather them and bothered to pick up a pen, I'd probably be a decent writer. Does anyone here do the same thing?

Bruised

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey I can totally relate! I always thought I was the only one that does this lol. I usually have a voice in my head that narrates my thoughts on my surroundings, what I can see or what I'm doing and I always feel like I'm on my own TV show or movie somehow; it kind of reminds me of Cher from Clueless or Malcolm from Malcolm In The Middle.
And funny you mention that writing part at the end because sometimes I feel like when I narrate my life I'm writing a book on my adventures. I don't know if that makes sense lol but think of if you see a person and you meet them for the first time. For me, I'd usually be describing them book-style, kind of like this: "I took a seat on my blanket once I laid it out on the clean cut grass. Staring out into the skies, I saw a man in the distance walking by. He looked sort of like a balding Clint Eastwood."
It's probably not the best example haha but I hope this clarifies that part a bit! If I could be bothered to get a pen and notebook out, I could definitely make this into a book ^.^

Oh and I'm an INFP, if that helps. I guess it's natural for me to sit back, observe, and describe my surroundings as if I'm telling a tale. It may be different for other INFPs but it's definitely true for me!

Tinyclaws

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you sometimes hear critic's voice in your head commenting about everything that you do?
Just curious if it's an INFP thing, or just e4w3 trait.

SwimmerGal97

Do you sometimes hear critic's voice in your head commenting about everything that you do?
Just curious if it's an INFP thing, or just e4w3 trait.

It's not a critical voice, its quite poetic and is just like a narrative from a story. Like if I'm walking down a road in autumn, my mind is narrating the walk, the cold, the sunlight filtering through the trees, putting the people I walk past into a story or just letting loose and imagining any occurrence on the walk (usually I give myself a more exiting reason to be walking down the road than I'm a student who does normal teenage things and is going to school). It's usually in second or third person as well

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did this for a day, just because I thought it would be interesting. And it was, but it was also tiring. My normal internal narrative involves very little external situational interpretation. Any that exists usually involves stuff like, "Wouldn't it be interesting if I stood awkwardly partly behind that pillar while he tried to talk to me?", "That thing looks like a watermelon", "If I stare at her nose intently for a really long time, will it start to look very strange, kind of like when you take an arbitrary word and repeat it over and over again."

When I did narrate myself, it was inspired by my good INFP friend telling me that he does it all of the time.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can relate to a point... I am more obsessed with an idea of being on stage. Like... living my life for an audience, I guess that's my overall theme.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can relate to a point... I am more obsessed with an idea of being on stage. Like... living my life for an audience, I guess that's my overall theme.

Not an NF, but I feel like I already do that.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't do this.

Maybe my way of thinking after I got fascinated by a stream of consciousness wasn't that different, I tried to imagine how I would put everything I thought and felt in words... But honestly I don't know how anyone could do this all the time. Usually I just get lost in my thoughts, my mind rests then.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I was little, I used to make up stories a lot. About animals, made up characters, people I know. Or I would take a scenario from real life and change the way that it ended in my story. Sometimes, well a lot of the time, the scenarios I come up are unrealistic and silly but that's what makes it so fun. I do tend to internalize on thoughts a lot and some of these thoughts later get translated into ideas.

I guess I never grew out of that one because I still do stuff like that in my spare time to help me cope with things. Especially with heavier topics that art harder to process emotionally. I still come up with characters and ideas. While writing is fun, it's not my main hobby of mine. Just something I do here and there. However, there are many ways to tell stories. I do love to draw and get some of my ideas out in my art. I also like making comic stories and mini videos. I am constantly coming up with art ideas with some kind of story behind it and my idea-generating brain can't be shut up or shut off as long as I am living.