User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INXX

Default Why Do Thinkers See Emoting and Thinking as Dichotomous Processes?

Carried over from here to start a new thread.

EDIT: Realizing a lot of people may not want to start of a thread by clicking on a link, I'll summarize.

Recent research in psychology has found that thought and emotion are not disparate processes but are instead interdependent. Emotion is particularly important in decision-making processes. One important book in the field is Descartes' Error.

And I'll add here that I think that understanding these advances is important in having a more accurate idea of the psychology of both "thinkers" and "feelers". It can help to avoid "stereotyping" as opposed to "typing".

I'll also add that I realize that feeling and Feeling are not the same in MBTI, but nonetheless many times I see both thinkers and feelers - but most often thinkers - conflating feeling with Feeling. I also see thinkers making the assumption that their own thought processes are relatively free of emotion. Whereas if Descartes' Error and other like research is correct, it is not only impossible but undesirable for human thought to be free of emotion.
    Last edited by SquirrelTao; 08-24-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Should you add the "immature" up there.. just in case...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

a lot of heavy T users aren't accepted as normal in their childhood. so they look for internal validation, coming to the conclusion that "feeling people" are irrational. when they learn MBTI, they see the word "feeling" used to describe value judgments and subconsciously make the connection to their childhood annoyances/tormentors.

then they learn MBTI more and realize that feeling is necessary for thinking to even take place. they see the utility of value judgments and figure out that a balance between T and F is the goal.

i guess the correlation is probably there -- Fs (on average) immaturely express their value judgments more than Ts. but not by much. the conclusion certainly is not applicable to individuals anyway.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    a lot of heavy T users aren't accepted as normal in their childhood. so they look for internal validation, coming to the conclusion that "feeling people" are irrational. when they learn MBTI, they see the word "feeling" used to describe value judgments and subconsciously make the connection to their childhood annoyances/tormentors.

then they learn MBTI more and realize that feeling is necessary for thinking to even take place. they see the utility of value judgments and figure out that a balance between T and F is the goal.
    Ay, those prejudices are what makes a Thinker's life hard. Or do you have proof to underline it, then I said nothing
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP

i think for the most part everyone's just playing a game of which is better...

doesn't matter. if you lean strong to one end, that just means you have to work on the other even more.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think it's because the names suck.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't think F types should be allowed to vote or make big decisions, but other than that they're pretty awesome.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I guess, when you tell a thinker that his emotions are scrumbled due to his youth and due to him being an idiot.

You are no feeler, because feeling I always connect with wisdom

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I don't think F types should be allowed to vote or make big decisions, but other than that they're pretty awesome.
    Ha. I think Ts should be castrated.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

owtsch